Michigan State is in Major trouble

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
No matter how bad this gets or looks, I am not going to surprised if the NCAA does nothing at all or hand down some slap on the wrist penalty like no spring game for the FB team and you have to take down your gymnastics trophy case.

NCAA has neither legal nor moral jurisdiction in cases like this. After the Ped State case got overturned the are not going to go down that road again. I have no expectation what soever that they will or can do anything. Much like Baylor.

Not sure if Big 10 can do anything.

canker2323

Oct 22, 2006
What Cheer, IA
It would be nice to see one of these schools' entire athletic department shut down for a few years. I don't care if other sports had nothing to do with it (MSU has issues with other sports though).

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
NCAA has neither legal nor moral jurisdiction in cases like this. After the Ped State case got overturned the are not going to go down that road again. I have no expectation what soever that they will or can do anything. Much like Baylor.

Not sure if Big 10 can do anything.

This is the truth. If the NCAA tries to step in with harsh penalties, they will get smacked down. Everyone knows that, now. Penn State proved it. The NCAA is toothless when it comes to stuff like this.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It would be nice to see one of these schools' entire athletic department shut down for a few years. I don't care if other sports had nothing to do with it (MSU has issues with other sports though).
Who would have the authority to order that, though?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Here is another article that lists where the money will come from:
Interim President John Engler has said the costs will be covered by tuition and state aid.

Engler is the most tone deaf university president ever. How about some of the settlement comes from the salaries of the current and most recent former presidents?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
This is the truth. If the NCAA tries to step in with harsh penalties, they will get smacked down. Everyone knows that, now. Penn State proved it. The NCAA is toothless when it comes to stuff like this.

The NCAA should have been reinforced to have these teeth after PSU.

IMO, if you're covering criminal **** up in the athletics department and abandoning the mission of any educational institution (serving the welfare of students\kids) in order to protect your athletics success, there needs to be something that disincentivizes that sort of behavior. Basically saying "it is better for you to come clean immediately, because you will be absolutely wrecked on the backside if you don't"

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Where are the regional accrediting associations? The whole world knows that the athletic departments are out of control in these schools. Shouldn't there be at least a notation on an accreditation review? Standards of "governance" are supposed to be scrutinized during the process.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
There's no way to give them that authority though.

There absolutely 100% is. The institutions within the NCAA can set whatever rules (and punishments) they want for their members.

Just because something is criminal doesn't mean that the NCAA cannot also punish for the same things.

• Funny
Reactions: isufbcurt

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
There absolutely 100% is. The institutions within the NCAA can set whatever rules (and punishments) they want for their members.

Just because something is criminal doesn't mean that the NCAA cannot also punish for the same things.
I think you answered your own question.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The NCAA should have been reinforced to have these teeth after PSU.

IMO, if you're covering criminal **** up in the athletics department and abandoning the mission of any educational institution (serving the welfare of students\kids) in order to protect your athletics success, there needs to be something that disincentivizes that sort of behavior. Basically saying "it is better for you to come clean immediately, because you will be absolutely wrecked on the backside if you don't"

I think the legal system needs to be that deterrent. That's their role. I mean, think about it. If a stock trader is found to have molested a bunch of kids at work, and the company he worked for covered it up so he could keep making them money, should the SEC step in and bar the company from trading? That's not really their purview. It's the legal system's job arrest those involved in committing the crime, and prosecute them.

Looking to some arbitrary Athletic association to step in and mete out justice for horrible crimes, is sort of misguided, don't you think? A situation like Penn State or Michigan State goes so far beyond silly little college athletics. It's a legal issue, not an athletic one.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think you answered your own question.

Nah, i understood why those changes weren't made, as you allude to, but ongoing situations like this at MSU or the ones at Baylor show why they should have made those changes.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

The Penn State aftermath seems to indicate differently. The NCAA had to do some big verbal gymnastics to justify their ability to punish Penn State, and the courts didn't let them get away with it. The NCAA can't just decide that they have this power. The member institutions have to grant it. As it stands, they don't have it.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
$500 million is a bonkers number. In no way am I arguing the victims don't deserve it, what makes me curious is how is this something a university can survive, even one as large as Michigan State? This isn't AT&T, it's a state university. That is a half a billion dollars. Who pays for this and how does it get done?

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
From the article above:

Michigan State's agreement stipulates that $425 million will be distributed to claimants who are currently part of the lawsuits. An allocator will determine how much each person will receive.
This article says there are currently 332(!!) victims, which means the avg payout per victim is around $1.28 million.

Here is another article that lists where the money will come from:
Interim President John Engler has said the costs will be covered by tuition and state aid. Some lawmakers have said no state aid should be used. University officials have said their legal expenses are being paid with non-endowment investment income.

MSU brought in $859 million in tuition revenue in 2016-17, according to its audited financial statements. That's 29% of its total revenue of $2.9 billion.

How can the State of Michigan, with the revenue drain they experienced in the last 10-yrs, generate & cover that cost ?@? One would think that $425 MM would bury any public institution, but I'm still baffled Penn St could absorb nearly twice that and still survive.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The Penn State aftermath seems to indicate differently. The NCAA had to do some big verbal gymnastics to justify their ability to punish Penn State, and the courts didn't let them get away with it. The NCAA can't just decide that they have this power. The member institutions have to grant it. As it stands, they don't have it.

And that was never in argument. Again, they should have added these things to the bylaws.