Michigan State is in Major trouble

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Wow. That article is incredible. I've paid attention to this story, at least, I thought I had. There is so much more in this article than I had known. The personal stories are terribly tragic. And though, I've heard lots about USA Gymnastics covering it up, I wasn't aware of how deeply Michigan State University was involved. The reports on the court case are going to be so damning for many beyond Nassar himself.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Wow. That article is incredible. I've paid attention to this story, at least, I thought I had. There is so much more in this article than I had known. The personal stories are terribly tragic. And though, I've heard lots about USA Gymnastics covering it up, I wasn't aware of how deeply Michigan State University was involved. The reports on the court case are going to be so damning for many beyond Nassar himself.

It's close or maybe even a death penalty case.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It's close or maybe even a death penalty case.
probably not. I doubt the NCAA will touch this. Look what happened at Penn State. The NCAA knows it doesn't have standing to punish for criminal matters. They'll get taken to court and they'll lose. Penn State showed us that. And the fact that Baylor has had no NCAA penalties tells you all you need to know.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
probably not. I doubt the NCAA will touch this. Look what happened at Penn State. The NCAA knows it doesn't have standing to punish for criminal matters. They'll get taken to court and they'll lose. Penn State showed us that. And the fact that Baylor has had no NCAA penalties tells you all you need to know.
\
True. You have to imagine since it's not a football or basketball thing Michigan State might give itself a death penalty for a couple years just to wash their hands of it and act like they are taking the high road. That is what I would do if I were the AD. Just get rid of that program for two years.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
\
True. You have to imagine since it's not a football or basketball thing Michigan State might give itself a death penalty for a couple years just to wash their hands of it and act like they are taking the high road. That is what I would do if I were the AD. Just get rid of that program for two years.
Interesting. I didn't think about that, but a severe self imposed penalty might actually be considered. You might be on to something there. Fire everyone even remotely involved and shutter the doors on it.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Don't see "worse." It's the same terrible crap.
\

Not if you want the donors to stay. They'll ignore it, and nobody will notice, because most of us don't notice college gymnastics very much at all.
You don't get to be in that position by actually taking care of these problems, so if you were the MSU AD or anyone involved, you'd sweep it under the rug. That's just how the evil is done.

• Agree
Reactions: Ryan4069

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Yeah, this is a legal matter. NCAA won't take any action, at least none that would impact their major sports.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Ryan4069

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I felt disgusting just reading that stuff. Dude should be locked away forever.

How do people that cover these things up live with themselves? And why would they in the first place? There are a lot of doctors out there that aren’t pedophiles. Report it, send him to the clink and get yourself a new one. I just don’t get it.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
why do entities cover up crimes? why not just let go of the person doing the crime?

I think they become so close to a person or situation. They can't fathom that person doing this type of thing. They also think it would reflect bad on them and the program. I agree with you and would do it immediately but I get why they don't. After Penn State they should have all learned but apparently didn't. It's funny to me that even after being fired, half the people were rehired back to their old spot/team/organization/Dr Office. IT's like they just got fired for a cover up or molesting someone and people hire them. WTF.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Ok, it is not an NCAA matter per-se, but why does accreditation never come up in these discussions? Especially with the Penn State situation in which one of the big allegations was the improper "governance" of the institution. That is one of the main standards to be evaluated by accreditation reviews. If there never was a notation about improper governance at Penn State, then what good is accreditation? Everyone in the country knew that Joe Paterno had too much power within the institution. Did no one ever make note of this in the formal review process for accreditation?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
To me, USAG needs a complete overhaul and to clean house. Horrific how many people put reputation/winning/money/fame over doing what is right. It's pathetic Steve Penny still got $1,000,000 in severance.

• Winner
Reactions: Knownothing