Michigan St. coaching change?

kuney1

Mar 20, 2006
They probably want to get a head start in finding a successor, in the event Smith is indeed being replaced.

thunderdave

POOTMFS
Apr 14, 2006
Now there will be 2 schools with a head start on us, if we are going to be looking for a new HC.

loboclone

Aug 8, 2006
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Probably not bad, to fire before end of season. North Carolina and Michigan state will have Head start. Makes sense to posture before everyone else pulls trigger. Hell, it may even motivate some players.

Lastplace

Oct 23, 2006
Per ESPN smith is resigning after being told he will not be back next year...AKA he was fired.

He is staying on with the team until the end of the year.

Pollard....take note of the actions of other teams. This one at Michigan State was obvious, but so is not winning a game when we were picked 2nd in the North.

Smith was at Michigan State only 4 years....and he is done. How many more years are we going to give MAC. Change is a GOOD thing!

thunderdave

POOTMFS
Apr 14, 2006
From espn.com
The university will buy out the remaining two years on his contract. His annual salary is $1.35 million. However, Smith's buyout clause is $1.5 million.

loboclone

Aug 8, 2006
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Per ESPN smith is resigning after being told he will not be back next year...AKA he was fired.

Pollard....take note of the actions of other teams. This one at Michigan State was obvious, but so is not winning a game when we were picked 2nd in the North.

Smith was at Michigan State only 4 years....and he is done. How many more years are we going to give MAC. Change is a GOOD thing!

I got flamed a few weeks ago for starting a thread suggesting D-Mac step up and resign, to save face (ego) and for the good of the program. How dare you suggest that to Pollard? However JL Smith "stepped up" as should D-Mac

bootcy

Apr 12, 2006
Waukee
Resigning for the good of the program and resigning because you are about to be fired are completely different. At this point, Mac doesn't know he will be fired, and neither do we, but Smith was flat out told he wouldn't be back, so he quit.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

6 more years?3 Games? HOW LONG is in the eye of the beholder.

Really, John L Smith downfall was two weeks ago when he slapped himseolf in the big press conference. A no-no for a head coach. He set as national record for a 35-38 point comeback against Northwestern. Has Dan done that?

Last edited:

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com
I don't really worry about competing for head coaches with UNC. MSU does worry me though. They seem to have a little more money to spend though, so maybe we aren't even in their price range. If JP pulls the trigger, it will be very interesting to see how he lures someone here - because I'm sure money won't be the big draw...

loboclone

Aug 8, 2006
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Resigning for the good of the program and resigning because you are about to be fired are completely different. At this point, Mac doesn't know he will be fired, and neither do we, but Smith was flat out told he wouldn't be back, so he quit.

Do you really believe Mac doesn't know he is going to be fired?? The outcome the next 3 games is going to save him? I am to think Mac hasn't had thoughts about his job security???

bootcy

Apr 12, 2006
Waukee
Do you really believe Mac doesn't know he is going to be fired?? The outcome the next 3 games is going to save him? I am to think Mac hasn't had thoughts about his job security???

That's not what I said. All I am saying is that John L. was told directly that he was gone at years' end, that has not happened here. I am sure that Mac is worrying about his job security, but no one (other thanfans on the message boards) has said that Mac WILL be fired.

Lastplace

Oct 23, 2006
6 more years?3 Games? HOW LONG is in the eye of the beholder.

Really, John L Smith downfall was two weeks ago when he slapped himseolf in the big press conference. A no-no for a head coach. He set as national record for a 35-38 point comeback against Northwestern. Has Dan done that?

Who cares about the comeback...the ball bounced all over the field in that game and he not only was out coached in the last quarter of that game...but his team played conservative....SOUND FAMILIAR??

THE TIME HAS COME FOR DAN MCCARNEY TO WALK AWAY WITH HIS HEAD HELD HIGH- He has to look around the Big 12 and think, "wow, a few years ago we were the Big 12 North, Missou was down, Colorado was down, Nebraska was in coaching changes, K-State was down, Kansas was down...now look what has happened." The tide has turned for Cyclone football this year.

Mizzou has taken it to a new level
Nebraska has the best recruiting class in the nation and the obvious fan support behind Callahan
K-State has a young exciting coach
Kansas needs some work...but wait until Saturday
Colorado has the BSU coach who 2 years from now will be 2 years stronger than a "rebuilding" Iowa State.

He can NOT continue to lose ball games with bad football and still think his job is safe. No way, this is a businesses. And if getting rid of Dan, or stepping down if your are Dan is what it takes to infuse the program with alittle excitement...sell more seats, raise more money...JP will do it in a second.

I apologize for the flames towards MAC..but seeing other programs make moves to make their football team better (UNC, MSU) during mid season is the correct thing to do to jump start into next year. given our brutal schedule next year...does it really matter what we do?

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
Now there will be 2 schools with a head start on us, if we are going to be looking for a new HC.

If we are indeed going after the same type of candidates I don't see the head start helping the other teams. If the candidate really wants to consider ISU, he'll wait to accept a position until he knows our's isn't open (GMac was courted by others before there was an opening at ISU).

In addition, JP's hiring style will speed things along. If you recall last year, he had someone in mind and made it happen on his own while several other schools were looking for coaches but slowed down by search comittees.

I don't think we need to be in a huge hurry. We can wait another month. While I don't believe we owe Mac another year, we can give him the ability to finish out his season and the ability to save face.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
I believe recruiting is a considerable factor in schools making an early decision to terminate a coach. The sooner a school gets a coach hired the sooner they can assemble a staff an attempt to salvage a recruiting class. If JP decides to make a change, I hope he acts as quickly as possible in order to salvage some sort of recruiting class.

thunderdave

POOTMFS
Apr 14, 2006
If I were an up-and-coming young coach, and were approached by a school with a position open for a head coach. There's no way in hell I'd wait around for other "possible openings" from schools that may or may not have openings at the end of the year.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I agree Dave. Coaches often don't wait around for a better offer.

Especially the young guys looking to move up and make their mark.