Michigan - Michigan State Post-game fight

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I read on the Athletic that it's possible Harbaugh let his team go over to the sideline to celebrate with the student section for a few minutes, to possibly answer your question.

And what is the Michigan player guilty for here? Walking into the tunnel? Come on.

I'm not even much of a Michigan fan; Harbaugh is a semi-jacka$$ at the least, and the fan base is arrogant (much like the fanbase to the east of Ames). But to put the blame on anyone else besides the Spartan players who started a gang assault on one guy is just plain silly.

Yes. Situational awareness is lacking at the least. At worst, he was involved in instigating the altercation. We won't know which without a video that starts earlier.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I will hold judgement until hearing the whole story. Was Michigan player trash talking and getting in MSU player's faces after the victory. Not that it justifies a group of MSU players jumping 1 or 2 Michigan players.

Regardless, there is NO place in college athletics for this kind of crap!!!

I tend to think that money has and is corrupting college D1 sport. And I put University Presidents responsible for chasing the almighty dollar at all costs. Priorities in Football and Men's Basketball are hurting both sports. The reality is university Presidents and AD's have PROFESSIONALIZED 2 sports where 18-22 year olds are the human capital.

Obviously, the full story should dictate punishment. But if a group of MSU players attacked and injured a Michigan player, those parties should be suspended the rest of the season.

I don't think much more of the story is needed for punishment. The MSU players should be suspended regardless of what led up to the altercation. The Michigan player got his punishment already.

The investigation needs to be whether Michigan needs facility changes to avoid both teams going through the same tunnel. They have more than enough money to rework something to avoid this. Even just widening the tunnel and adding a barrier would help.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I will hold judgement until hearing the whole story. Was Michigan player trash talking and getting in MSU player's faces after the victory. Not that it justifies a group of MSU players jumping 1 or 2 Michigan players.

Regardless, there is NO place in college athletics for this kind of crap!!!

I tend to think that money has and is corrupting college D1 sport. And I put University Presidents responsible for chasing the almighty dollar at all costs. Priorities in Football and Men's Basketball are hurting both sports. The reality is university Presidents and AD's have PROFESSIONALIZED 2 sports where 18-22 year olds are the human capital.

Obviously, the full story should dictate punishment. But if a group of MSU players attacked and injured a Michigan player, those parties should be suspended the rest of the season.

I said the UM-MSU rivalry is a lot nastier than most people realize nationwide. What most people don't realize is the contemptable "little brother" terminology, if it wasn't outright created, was at least popularized by UM in reference to MSU.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Yes. Situational awareness is lacking at the least. At worst, he was involved in instigating the altercation. We won't know which without a video that starts earlier.

Call me crazy, but I don't think it's too much to ask for a player to be able to walk into a tunnel to his locker room and not be jumped on by the opposing team.

As for "situational awareness", I hope the MSU players who will hopefully be suspended at least a couple of games for this will become situationally aware of the consequences for their actions, particularly if MSU misses a bowl game as a result of their stupidity.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
People placed in handcuffs during a MSU game:
Last night: zero
A decade ago: Chris Hassell

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I don't think much more of the story is needed for punishment. The MSU players should be suspended regardless of what led up to the altercation. The Michigan player got his punishment already.

The investigation needs to be whether Michigan needs facility changes to avoid both teams going through the same tunnel. They have more than enough money to rework something to avoid this. Even just widening the tunnel and adding a barrier would help.

Agree that MSU players should be suspended. Disagree that if the UM player intentionally provoked this fight that he's seen his punishment in getting his ass beat - he should be suspended as well.

And I absolutely agree that UM should make facility changes to ensure nothing like this happens again. It's not as if that AD doesn't have the money for it.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

I tend to agree. But before deciding on punishment, would want all the details. Because from my perspective the MOST lenient punishment should be suspension for remainder of season. The other end of my punishment spectrum would be kicked out of school for assaulting someone during a university sponsored activity. I would also consider suspending Mel Tucker a game as it's HIS program and players he recruited.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Didn't Penn State and Michigan just have an incident earlier this year with the use of one tunnel and Harbaugh blamed it all on Franklin?

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Didn't Penn State and Michigan just have an incident earlier this year with the use of one tunnel and Harbaugh blamed it all on Franklin?
They had that issue with Penn state 2 weeks ago but that incident is no where near as bad as this one. As people pointed out this rivalry is pretty intense but nothing excuses this behavior. The people involved didn’t even play, bunch of backups acting like idiots. Fully expect to see suspensions and hoping we get some dismissals. Doesn’t matter what was said or why the Michigan player was there you simply can’t do that.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I tend to agree. But before deciding on punishment, would want all the details. Because from my perspective the MOST lenient punishment should be suspension for remainder of season. The other end of my punishment spectrum would be kicked out of school for assaulting someone during a university sponsored activity. I would also consider suspending Mel Tucker a game as it's HIS program and players he recruited.
A basketball coach who assaulted another coach only got 5 games, the Alabama player who assaulted a fan at Tennessee got no punishment, I wouldn't expect much for these kids.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
From what I have seen, the dumb ass Mich player was starting the whole thing. I am all for an A$$ beating at that point.
I equate these tunnel entries to the IQ of the Iowa Band Director a couple years ago at Jack Trice. What do you think is going to happen when you walk into a crowd of pissed of people and talk crap or whatever? I bet he doesn't do that again. now the extent of the beating should be examined....
just don't get why schools continue to do this tunnel crap with no direction.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
What happened is criminal not disappointing.

Only reason ppl didn't ebd up arrested is bc they were dressed in body armor.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
From what I have seen, the dumb ass Mich player was starting the whole thing. I am all for an A$$ beating at that point.
I equate these tunnel entries to the IQ of the Iowa Band Director a couple years ago at Jack Trice. What do you think is going to happen when you walk into a crowd of pissed of people and talk crap or whatever? I bet he doesn't do that again. now the extent of the beating should be examined....
just don't get why schools continue to do this tunnel crap with no direction.

Stupid take. How do you know he was talking sh!t?

Reactions: chadly82

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Well, Harbaugh has become known for being the weasel who thinks his **** doesn't stink. He's really lucky the pieces fell into place for him the last couple of years because Michigan's golden boy was beginning to wear out his welcome with not living up to expectations.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
ok...jeepers. Sorry bruh.
its its all speculation at this point, but just piecing together things from different boards and videos, etc.

I can confirm my gut feeling seeing the video of him ripping his helmet off and bull dozing his his way through the entire MSU team is a pretty good indicator he probably started it.

not approving killing the guy, but sometimes people put themselves in the dumbest position. hence, my Iowa band director reference.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
its its all speculation at this point, but just piecing together things from different boards and videos, etc.

I can confirm my gut feeling seeing the video of him ripping his helmet off and bull dozing his his way through the entire MSU team is a pretty good indicator he probably started it.

not approving killing the guy, but sometimes people put themselves in the dumbest position. hence, my Iowa band director reference.

Do you have a link to that video?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
As far as I’ve seen there hasn’t been any credible evidence to suggest he was. It all, he was probably running his mouth and he messed with some dawgs.” Yeah, well if they’re such dawgs they should have done something other than get paved on the field and it should take six of them to take out a 180 lb corner who has no gear on.

The tunnel is moderately dumb but there only seems to be real issue when trash programs and dorky coaches (Franklin) show up. OSU and UM will chirp in there but nothing has ever really happened.

Reactions: chadly82

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

He didn’t bulldoze anywhere. He ran around guys and then fell in line. There’s literally zero evidence right now that he did anything other than walk in. No one is reacting to him as he walks in. Also, there’s another player that was involved and rumor is they got hit with a helmet.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
As far as I’ve seen there hasn’t been any credible evidence to suggest he was. It all, he was probably running his mouth and he messed with some dawgs.” Yeah, well if they’re such dawgs they should have done something other than get paved on the field and it should take six of them to take out a 180 lb corner who has no gear on.

The tunnel is moderately dumb but there only seems to be real issue when trash programs and dorky coaches (Franklin) show up. OSU and UM will chirp in there but nothing has ever really happened.
Well that last part isn’t really true there have been multiple issues between those teams in the tunnel. Players had to be forcibly separated just last year.

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/202...an-players-nearly-brawl-tunnel-halftime-video

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron