Mi-Fiber vs CenturyLink

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I had CL Fiber - it was awful, so we switched to Mi-Fiber.

We have had Mi-Fiber since March and it is fantastic, no issues at all. Their techs are fantastic.

If you are going to use Mi-Fiber, you need to get signed up with them, since it does take about a month to get everything in order and taken care of for your install. We have the 1gig set up because we can have up to 8 devices running at one time, so it is worth the extra money.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Does anyone have centurylink fiber? I only have centurylink fiber of medicom 100mb as options for internet and centurylink is 30$ cheaper. I am having trouble with centurylinks signal from their modem/router combo to the whole house. Would prefer not to have to invest 300$ in a mesh system or newer router. Any suggestions?
At my previous apmt I had CL's fiber 40mbps plan. Set their combo box as modem only and passed it through to a real router. It practically never went down, but often speeds were abysmal and it almost acted like it was throttled. Running speed tests to their own servers always pegged full speed, but to other servers they were awful. Certain sites would let me download stuff full speed but others wouldn't. Even streaming sites acted differently... If I recall correctly Netflix worked fine but Hulu and other streams buffered often. It was a struggle.

New apartment has Mediacom cable 60 Mbps service, pushed by a 10+ year old modem from a company that no longer exists and the same router as before. I have 0 issues with this setup. All sites perform the same, almost never downtime, it's rock-solid. Hell, I usually pull around 70 Mbps sustained download instead of the rated 60.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
Really looking like I need to switch off from their modem/router combos. I have seen nothing but horror stories about trying to daisy chain a different router through their modems.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
Does anyone have centurylink fiber? I only have centurylink fiber of medicom 100mb as options for internet and centurylink is 30$ cheaper. I am having trouble with centurylinks signal from their modem/router combo to the whole house. Would prefer not to have to invest 300$ in a mesh system or newer router. Any suggestions?

never heard of Mi Fiber until today. is CL doing fiber all the way to the house now? we have fiber to the neighborhood and get 55Mbps pretty consistently on the Ookla speed test. i don't think copper phone line can carry much more than that, but i would definitely take more speed if i could get it. echoing a poster above, the east side of Iowa City has quite good CL service, i would say that it's only dropped connection a few times (<10) for any noticeable period in 12 years, and i've had good luck with this current modem/router -- i think it's the highest-end one they offer, which i got for free due to a customer service faux pas.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Moveing to an area in Grimes not supportd by Mediacom. CL is only option, they say there is a 940 meg download product but obviouly that wont happen. hoping for the best!!

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Really looking like I need to switch off from their modem/router combos. I have seen nothing but horror stories about trying to daisy chain a different router through their modems.
You should be able to connect whatever router you want to your ONT. People that have fiber to their homes do not need an additional modem beyond the terminator

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
You should be able to connect whatever router you want to your ONT. People that have fiber to their homes do not need an additional modem beyond the terminator
I was able to do that with CL only by having a router which supported VLAN tagging. I would imagine that's the case with all CL fiber?

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I was able to do that with CL only by having a router which supported VLAN tagging. I would imagine that's the case with all CL fiber?
Oh, right, forgot about that nightmare. Before switching from DSL to Mediacom I had to keep CenturyLink's modem plugged in with the wireless radio off because Google WiFi doesn't do VLAN Tagging.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I think I am going to dump Mediacom cable internet for Mi-Fiber today. The discussion here and being without service most of Saturday sealed it for me.

I have a Google Nest for my home, having dumped my Asus router only a couple of weeks ago. Mesh is where it is at folks.

Did you end up switching?

Through the derecho and everything, I've been with them now for 1.5 years and haven't been down yet. (except for power outage of course but that's not on them).

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
never heard of Mi Fiber until today. is CL doing fiber all the way to the house now? we have fiber to the neighborhood and get 55Mbps pretty consistently on the Ookla speed test. i don't think copper phone line can carry much more than that, but i would definitely take more speed if i could get it. echoing a poster above, the east side of Iowa City has quite good CL service, i would say that it's only dropped connection a few times (<10) for any noticeable period in 12 years, and i've had good luck with this current modem/router -- i think it's the highest-end one they offer, which i got for free due to a customer service faux pas.

I can't speak to Iowa, but I have fiber to the house through CL in Florida. Customer service was pretty good and cost is good for the service. Get about 930 down and up. Makes working from home sooooo much easier.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Did you end up switching?

Through the derecho and everything, I've been with them now for 1.5 years and haven't been down yet. (except for power outage of course but that's not on them).

I did switch to Mi-Fiber and it has been amazing. Reliable service and fast speeds...it has been great. I work from home as a project engineer for law firms, so the service bump has helped my productivity immensely.

Never going back to Mediacom for anything...ever

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I did switch to Mi-Fiber and it has been amazing. Reliable service and fast speeds...it has been great. I work from home as a project engineer for law firms, so the service bump has helped my productivity immensely.

Never going back to Mediacom for anything...ever

Agree, the symmetrical speeds are awesome. I just have the basic 75/75 and we have yet to run out of bandwidth. The 75 upload is super nice as well for working from home.

Reactions: Cybone

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Bump. Ordering Mi Fiber at our new place. What gear do they give you?