Melvin Ejim's Twitter

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
They are not real fans. Last year a few so called ISU fans went after players on twitter as well. Its stupid and gutless.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I am frustrated that Fred had Ejim and Niang on the floor late when I feel other guys may (emphasis on may) have been better but I would never tweet directly at them with negatives.

Hell I wouldn't even tweet directly at Fred. I started a thread to spark convo with others. I would never claim that I have the answers
Saying this shows you clearly don't understand this team. No one besides Kane, Niang and Ejim were making or really even attempting to make a play. Thomas and Naz both just stood around and when they got the pass, they took a dribble or two and passed it. Kane was blanketed every time he touched the ball. If other guys on the team could step up and take the ball to the hoop, Niang and Ejim wouldn't have to feel the need to try themselves.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I am frustrated that Fred had Ejim and Niang on the floor late when I feel other guys may (emphasis on may) have been better but I would never tweet directly at them with negatives.

Hell I wouldn't even tweet directly at Fred. I started a thread to spark convo with others. I would never claim that I have the answers

I agree.....I know Fred is a shooters coach, but both Niang and Ejim were flat in shooting/front end of the rim and would have been better to have Naz or Kane with the green light. In fact, did anyone notice the hustle/hard work Naz was putting in? He was playing with urgency.

As for Twitter....garbage. I use it and enjoy it for the perks, but the ability to be morons to people behind a keyboard/phone is weak. Honestly, if I were a coach at about any level I'd have some dedicated sessions (like with a psychologist) on how to handle it...as it's one thing to brush off a heckler...it's another for someone like Ejim to lay down at night, turn on his phone, and have a bunch of moronic notifications.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
I just looked for anyone that sent it @m3llym3i and he didn't get much hate at all. I think 1 Baylor fan and one "isu fan". This is an overreaction. Mostly words of encouragement.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I agree.....I know Fred is a shooters coach, but both Niang and Ejim were flat in shooting/front end of the rim and would have been better to have Naz or Kane with the green light. In fact, did anyone notice the hustle/hard work Naz was putting in? He was playing with urgency.

As for Twitter....garbage. I use it and enjoy it for the perks, but the ability to be morons to people behind a keyboard/phone is weak. Honestly, if I were a coach at about any level I'd have some dedicated sessions (like with a psychologist) on how to handle it...as it's one thing to brush off a heckler...it's another for someone like Ejim to lay down at night, turn on his phone, and have a bunch of moronic notifications.

You do realize that they have the green light don't you?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Happy Birthday Mel, by the way why didn't you score 50 on your birthday? Some people...

Insane that people go after players on Twitter. A couple of good rules of thumb...1) it's one thing to observe when things aren't going well ("Ejim is really struggling") but don't rant and rave, and 2) don't include a player's username in your tweets. All that does is aim your comment squarely at them and create firestorms like this.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
You do realize that they have the green light don't you?

I do realize that. I guess I meant I would have hoped Ejim and Niang would have not pulled the trigger so those two had more opps for taking the shots...or Fred would have told them "you know what, let's run it more through these two."

CloneDontCare

Jul 27, 2009
I'd never tweet anything negative at a player, but I've never felt the greater temptation. Not to be outright negative or troll them, but just to simply say to Ejim and Niang:

Stop shooting if you're struggling.

Is the game on the line, and you've done absolutely nothing for 35 minutes? Are your teammates hot, and you clearly aren't?

Then don't shoot it.

But, maybe Fred told them to keep shooting, and they're not going to listen to random internet criticism anyway, nor should they, and we're not their coach.

So I complain here, but there will be no tweets.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
People who send hate through Twitter or other online forums are cowards. No way any of them say some of the things that are said if it were face-to-face. If more people would do that before posting/sending, lot less stupid put out there.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'd never tweet anything negative at a player, but I've never felt the greater temptation. Not to be outright negative or troll them, but just to simply say to Ejim and Niang:

Is the game on the line, and you've done absolutely nothing for 35 minutes? Are your teammates hot, and you clearly aren't?

Then don't shoot it.

But, maybe Fred told them to keep shooting, and they're not going to listen to random internet criticism anyway, nor should they, and we're not their coach.

This is not part of the Hoiberg/Orr philosophy. You never tell a shooter not to shoot an open shot. The last think I want is for Niang or Ejim to be thinking about whether or not to take an open shot at the end of the game. I want them to be acting instinctively. And as made clear in the KU game at Hilton, this is Hoiberg's philosophy for Niang.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
This is not part of the Hoiberg/Orr philosophy. You never tell a shooter not to shoot an open shot. The last think I want is for Niang or Ejim to be thinking about whether or not to take an open shot at the end of the game. I want them to be acting instinctively. And as made clear in the KU game at Hilton, this is Hoiberg's philosophy for Niang.

I would agree with you, but it looked to me like Ejim had already past that point. He was passing up shots he normally takes and drains. He was not himself the entire game.

But what was most frustrating for me, was the fact that, with about 3 minutes left he seemed to just decide "Hey, screw it, I'm gonna shoot myself out of this slump." He has to be smarter than that if he is touted as the smart, veteran leader of this team. Those 3's that he jacked up that barely caught the front iron really, really hurt us.

All that said, there is no reason to attack the guy on Twitter. He knows he played a bad game, he will be taught by much smarter basketball minds than what's on Twitter how to fix the problem and get better going forward.

CloneDontCare

Jul 27, 2009

I realize.

I disagree with it.

We had a chance to win and our least productive players hogged all the shots at the end of the game. Doubt they had confidence at this point regardless of what Hoiberg would have said/done. How could you with that atrocious of a performance. Sometimes it's better to accept you're not on, feed your teammates, and live to fight another day.

Plus, lots of those shots weren't open. They were rushing. Niang looked out of control. I think this was about ego, and trying to be heroes, and trying to make up for all the shots they missed. It looked like watching a gambling addict doubling down on their bets as the house took everything.

Last edited:

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I would agree with you, but it looked to me like Ejim had already past that point. He was passing up shots he normally takes and drains. He was not himself the entire game.

But what was most frustrating for me, was the fact that, with about 3 minutes left he seemed to just decide "Hey, screw it, I'm gonna shoot myself out of this slump." He has to be smarter than that if he is touted as the smart, veteran leader of this team. Those 3's that he jacked up that barely caught the front iron really, really hurt us.

All that said, there is no reason to attack the guy on Twitter. He knows he played a bad game, he will be taught by much smarter basketball minds than what's on Twitter how to fix the problem and get better going forward.

Agreed. I said it earlier...I LOVE that CFH is a players coach who empowers guys to shoot/build confidence. BUT, also coaches/players can also be sure the hotter hands get the ball. Melvins 48 pt night...made sense to get it to him, he was ON.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
I realize.

I disagree with it.

We had a chance to win and our least productive players hogged all the shots at the end of the game. Doubt they had confidence at this point regardless of what Hoiberg would have said/done. How could you with that atrocious of a performance. Sometimes it's better to accept you're not on, feed your teammates, and live to fight another day.

Plus, lots of those shots weren't open. They were rushing. Niang looked out of control. I think this was about ego, and trying to be heroes, and trying to make up for all the shots they missed. It looked like watching a gambling addict doubling down on their bets.

I don't disagree with the "philosophy". I don't think you want guys out there thinking about what shots to take and which ones "aren't quite good enough" and so on. Just play free and shoot when you've got the shot.

I 100% agree with the rest of your post though.. because I think Mel and Georges were beyond the point where they could play free. They were so discouraged, it just looked like they were trying to force their way out of the slump. That method is ok if you've got time left. But when the game was on the line those guys cost us.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I realize.

I disagree with it.

Plus, lots of those shots weren't open. They were rushing. Niang looked out of control. I think this was about ego, and trying to be heroes, and trying to make up for all the shots they missed. It looked like watching a gambling addict doubling down on their bets as the house took everything.

Agree. How often do we see when Kane is off and he realizes it, he feeds other people and gets the assist? Kane and others were on last night, yet Niang and Ejim failed to keep driving and dishing. I do believe the time Niang drove, Baylor players dropped to cover and Niang kicked it out to Long?

If it's not broke, why try and fix it?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Then don't shoot it.

The problem with that is if you look back at a game where ISU lost and say that is what you do then you have to look back on games where ISU won and say the same thing. There have been multiple games where ISU shot 0-20% from 3 in the first half and were really struggling. Fred's philosophy is that the good shooters he populates his teams with will come around and hit them. In so many of those games his philosophy has bourne out and ISU starts lighting it up when they stick with it (with the same players, I might add). I also would tell a player who is as consistent as Mel and as clutch as Georges to keep shooting them, they will start to fall because Fred has been right more often than he has been wrong on that.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
There is a more reasonable explanation for their shooting struggles . . . visual distortion caused by those atrocious Baylor uniforms.

Perhaps this also kept the ref from seeing motion on the moving screens by Austin.

Help Support Us

Become a patron