Meet the Coaches

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Was anyone able to attend the Meet the Coaches event last night? I would guess there were 1000+ people there.

A couple of the funnier, more interesting quotes:

Hoiberg talking about Doc Sadler "Doc has had his foot up Percy Gibson's butt this summer. That's good to see."
Hoiberg talking about the Ohio State game "We got screwed."
Hoiberg brought up a quote from Georges "We don't take many bad shots, but when we do, Tyrus usually makes them."

Rhoads ended the night talking about his football team. He starts out talking about his first team meeting in 2009. He said he got up in front of the team and told them the goal for that year was to make a bowl game. Some kids snickered, some just looked at him in disbelief.
Then he says in 2010 during the Tailgate Tour, he told the fans to get their season tickets now, because some day they wouldn't be able to. That really got the crowd going.

This was the first time I had heard Rhoads speak in person. Wow I was blown away. You can hear the passion come through. I can definitely understand how he gets the guys ready for big games.

cloneluke80

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
Yeah, agreed, you hit the highlights. Rhoads is a machine in front of crowds, that guy can flat out speak and motivate. He could sell me snake oil, I totally understand why players would run through brick walls for him...

Another funny quip from Rhoads was that the o-line pushed a sled through a garage door on accident during practice...

Also thought it was nice that he bought the baylor game trip in the live auction for a great cyclone, Jon Schaben.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Was anyone able to attend the Meet the Coaches event last night? I would guess there were 1000+ people there.

A couple of the funnier, more interesting quotes:

Hoiberg talking about Doc Sadler "Doc has had his foot up Percy Gibson's butt this summer. That's good to see."
Hoiberg talking about the Ohio State game "We got screwed."
Hoiberg brought up a quote from Georges "We don't take many bad shots, but when we do, Tyrus usually makes them."

Rhoads ended the night talking about his football team. He starts out talking about his first team meeting in 2009. He said he got up in front of the team and told them the goal for that year was to make a bowl game. Some kids snickered, some just looked at him in disbelief.
Then he says in 2010 during the Tailgate Tour, he told the fans to get their season tickets now, because some day they wouldn't be able to. That really got the crowd going.

This was the first time I had heard Rhoads speak in person. Wow I was blown away. You can hear the passion come through. I can definitely understand how he gets the guys ready for big games.

Thanks for sharing! I love hearing these things that never really get said in front of media. I know I've seen CFH speak a couple times at events and he usually is REAL funny.

CEO

Nov 27, 2009
Des Moines
I agree that Rhoads is great up there in front of a large crowd but that speech he used last night was a recycled speech that he used earlier this year at the Grid Iron Club Coach's Cook Off. I wish when he was talking to fans he'd take a deep breath sometimes and calm down a little.

IMO, Hoiberg was the most interesting to listen too. My main two takeaways from him are that Kane was a big time get and he's still ****** about the Ohio State game.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I don't recall even hearing any announcement about this event. Was it open to the public?

P.S. I've never been to anything that matched Coach Rhoads and the other football coaches at the Cyclone Fanatic Recruitment Day party. That event is awesome. And after the speeches, they just hang around and talk football with you.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Another thing to mention that I thought was important: Hoiberg said with all sincerity and said in a way that was a bit of a throw down for anyone who wished to challenge "I'd take Melvin Ejim and Goerges Niang against anyone.."

You can tell when Hoiberg speaks about last year..and about what he wants to do, getting to the NCAAs isn't enough. He said that he thought last years team was playing well and really felt that final four was going to happen.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
They showed some shots of the event on TV13 last night. Really cool how the colors of the ballroom at Vet's can be changed to reflect whatever event is held in there. From TV, the entire room seemed to glow cardinal and gold.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
Great night and a fun time.
A few random impressions.

1. Hoiberg probably slept on the couch even if CPR tried to help him out of the doghouse.
2. CPR (imho) opinion said we woudl play hoard, do it right, have commitment, but no promises, as is it could be a long season. Just my opinion.

cycloneted

Apr 19, 2006
Des Moines
I also enjoyed the event, missed Christiani's catering, that stuff is awesome.

Here's a question I discussed with a couple people after the event last night. Who is the better speaker to a group like that, Danny Mac or CPR? I've seen CPR speak many more times but I was also a big fan of McCarney. I think they have very similar styles, go for the emotional, high intensity yell/shout speech. I said CPR is probably a little better, a few older guys said McCarney.

What do you think?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron