Median boomer retirement account $144,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
My moms pension will essentially pay her a $50,000 salary until she passes. She and my dad will never be “rich” but not a terrible income stream when you have zero debt.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
My FIL is retiring this year. He's gotten to the point of hating his job so decided to retire early. They spoke to their finance guy and decided it would be tight, but they could make it work given their 401k savings and the house is paid off. Probably meant less vacations and fun stuff, but they could do it.

Then the finance guy looks over everything and says "What's this $1300/month pension from your work?" My FIL had a $16k/yr pension coming that he completely forgot about. Good times.

I wonder how many people have accounts that they've forgotten about. If I didn't clean house a couple of years ago, I probably would have left a couple of them behind.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
My moms pension will essentially pay her a $50,000 salary until she passes. She and my dad will never be “rich” but not a terrible income stream when you have zero debt.
Yeah at that age you would assume no mortgage so really its monthly bills and taxes.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
How can anyone retire on $144K

This is another aspect that hasn't been discussed yet...lots of people don't realize how much you need to save to even have a modest retirement.

My brother is 44, so he's got 20-25 years left. He probably makes $60k or so, and his wife probably as much as he does. I think he's put the bare minimum into his retirement, and definitely has not paid attention to how much he SHOULD put in. My dad mentioned to him that he should strive to get at least $1M in savings by the time he retires. My brother didn't believe him and basically told him it was impossible to save that much money.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
How can anyone retire on $144K

The best way would be to die quickly.

More seriously --

Add to that Social Security and pension income.

Hope your kids will be "generous" with their time and money.

Hope you stay generally healthy and can continue working (at least part-time).

Have your house (and cars) paid off in a low property tax area.

Do not live fancy. Books are free.

Like I said, I doubt that $144k number is the full portrait.

Reactions: Doc

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I'm sure that's not a full picture but still I'm sure many of that generation are not in great shape. Not that I assume the ones down the line are much better.

Makes me feel ok where I'm at though.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
This is another aspect that hasn't been discussed yet...lots of people don't realize how much you need to save to even have a modest retirement.

My brother is 44, so he's got 20-25 years left. He probably makes $60k or so, and his wife probably as much as he does. I think he's put the bare minimum into his retirement, and definitely has not paid attention to how much he SHOULD put in. My dad mentioned to him that he should strive to get at least $1M in savings by the time he retires. My brother didn't believe him and basically told him it was impossible to save that much money.

this attitude is pervasive and limits people improving their lives. this is not a judgment or criticism of him, but if you never think you're going to be or have anything why start? i saw that attitude a lot when i worked for a non-profit. the people we helped weren't bad or stupid, they just didn't think spending money on dumb stuff was a bad idea because they knew they'd never have much. if you'll never have much why strive to start?

i started saving cash in middle school and started saving for retirement when i got my first job a decade ago. it was only $50/month at the time but now i'm maxing out my Roth IRA and putting 10% into my 401k plan. paying off student loans was the biggest single influence in me being able to save more money.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Boomer here, obviously.

Not comfortable talking about my situation in depth. I have a government pension after 30 years of employment with DOD - and yes, damn glad I do. Spent many years earning less than peers in private business in hopes I would get that pension at retirement. (Edit: and that gov't pension is not free - over 30 years almost $150k was deducted from my checks for that)

And even though I worked way more than 40 quarters for SS outside of my Gov't job, I will get around $250/per month from that because there are rules for 'double dippers.' (My father did the same and got his full SS check because those rules were not yet in effect - so even though we boomers may have it good, the WWII generation had it even better.)

I had part time jobs starting 1972 and started my gov't career in January 1981. I did not do an IRA that first year but did every year thereafter until I retired.

I also did the maximum over-age-50 allowed make-up savings/investments. And also invested in individual stocks/mutual funds outside of that.

I basically lived on 40% of my take home pay for the last 5-10 years I worked.

So I definitely have the $144k number beat. It's worth it to be 'comfortable' in retirement. Having a decent home in Iowa and a beachfront condo in Florida was my dream/goal and I made it happen. Yes, big scares in 2008 and again this year, but you have to just keep on investing and saving if you don't want to live in a van down by the river.

Last edited:

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Contribution limits were between $1,500 to $2,000 up until 2002. Also non working spouse was allowed to contribute $250 until 1998. Not sure employers really matched IRA contributions back then either. IRA was first started in 1974. 1981 it started getting more popular. Not really surprised.

https://dqydj.com/historical-ira-contribution-limit/

How did this study measure 401s? My 401 is a significant part of my "retirement accounts".

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
11 year Bull run sure..and then a massive swipe that’s occurring right now.

We've been 40-ish% equities for a few years now. We're back above where we were pre-March simply because of risk profile (and some luck) and where the market is working.

I take full credit for hiring a great money management firm.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I'm 61 going on 62 and feel a lot better about what I have after seeing that number.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
this attitude is pervasive and limits people improving their lives. this is not a judgment or criticism of him, but if you never think you're going to be or have anything why start? i saw that attitude a lot when i worked for a non-profit. the people we helped weren't bad or stupid, they just didn't think spending money on dumb stuff was a bad idea because they knew they'd never have much. if you'll never have much why strive to start?

i started saving cash in middle school and started saving for retirement when i got my first job a decade ago. it was only $50/month at the time but now i'm maxing out my Roth IRA and putting 10% into my 401k plan. paying off student loans was the biggest single influence in me being able to save more money.

My brother is defeatist, so his attitude doesn't surprise me. He owns a brand new truck ($35k +/-) a brand new motorcycle ($10k +/-) and travels the country every summer to go to dirt track races. Yet, within 30 seconds of ever speaking to him, he'll starting complaining about how he has no money and is being screwed by anyone and everyone. Life is about making choices and accepting what comes with them. It's ok to have nice toys, but you can't then complain that you have no money when you're dropping 25% of your income on said toys.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
The median boomer retirement account value is only $144,000. That seems really, really low for folks 65+, especially when we hear how boomers have all the wealth in the country. And this is after an historic 11-year bull run. Really hits home for the younger folks on here to start saving early.

https://madison.com/business/investment/personal-finance/the-median-retirement-savings-balance-among-baby-boomers-is-shockingly-low/article_333016c3-5318-51cf-b17e-ad35f1055554.html#:~:text=The median savings balance among,amount of work to do.

hmm, and I thought I was below normal. It appears I'm better off than I thought after I retired.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

I don't know about you, but I'm constantly going back and forth between "Do I have enough?" vs "Am I being too conservative?" I'm mid-30s so I've probably got 30-40 working years left, barring medical/injury events. I get my 15% of gross saved every year between company match, 401k, and IRA contributions. I was luck that for the first 7 years of my career, I had an employer who matched my 6% with 10%, so I was putting away 16% of my pay starting in my early 20s.

That being said, I do wonder if it's too conservative, at times and if I should be doing more to enjoy life now. Like, not being so stingy when looking at new toys or trips for my wife and I, and our family.

Reactions: JP4CY

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
My brother is defeatist, so his attitude doesn't surprise me. He owns a brand new truck ($35k +/-) a brand new motorcycle ($10k +/-) and travels the country every summer to go to dirt track races. Yet, within 30 seconds of ever speaking to him, he'll starting complaining about how he has no money and is being screwed by anyone and everyone. Life is about making choices and accepting what comes with them. It's ok to have nice toys, but you can't then complain that you have no money when you're dropping 25% of your income on said toys.

So he collects depreciating assets and doesn't realize thats part of his problem. His attitude is very common unfortunately. People don't attain a million net worth by living this way, so in reality he's right...

Lucky for him, its not too late to start to turn it around.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
hmm, and I thought I was below normal. It appears I'm better off than I thought after I retired.

Here as well. We started saving late so I was worried about saving enough. We're almost 40 with about 2x our salary in our 401. I also have a pension still, but I don't really want to rely on that at all. I assume it'll be cashed out at some point.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
So he collects depreciating assets and doesn't realize thats part of his problem. His attitude is very common unfortunately. People don't attain a million net worth by living this way, so in reality he's right...

Lucky for him, its not too late to start to turn it around.

Right on the nose, brother. It's been sad to watch. As I've grown up (he's 8 years older than me) and developed my own values, I've seen his to be the exact opposite. My values are centered around hard work, empathy, growing through difficulty, etc. My brother's is all about getting screwed left and right, constantly having "no money," etc. Unfortunately for his son, he's getting raised with the same attitude.

Didn't make the team? Coach hates you.
Got called out on a third strike? Ump is screwing you.
Gave up 10 runs in the first inning while pitching? Your teammates screwed up and didn't back you.

Life's gonna suck for that kid, because the world is gonna slap him in the face and he's just gonna keep on thinking it's everybody else's fault except his own.

Reactions: bos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron