Media Butthurt over CPR and Lazard

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Wow this radio show is fantastic!

The truth is I've always liked Paul Rhoads. I liked the hire. I liked his enthusiasm. At first, it was refreshing compared to Kirk Ferentz's boring press conferences. He and Pollard have certainly rallied the fans. They've sold record numbers of tickets, and raised tons of money.

However, at some point, sooner or later you have got to get over the 6 win hump. He got to 7 in year one and hasn't returned to that since. Last year they took a huge drop off. Please do not say what that guy who just called in tried saying. Very few people in Cyclone Nation expected last year to be that bad. It was a big step backwards. Yet, for some reason Cyclone fans still vehemently defend Rhoads like he's a god. It really doesn't make any sense, and if you try to look at it from outside the box you would realize why people look at Cyclone fans as lemmings right now.

Don't you think this is a reason we think he deserves a pass? Our expectations were brought up for breaking just about every negative streak in ISU history, except for the conference championship. I know that I was one of those trying to argue that last year would be a good surprise. MANY on here were hopeful, but didn't EXPECT 6 wins. We were young, partly because of the recruiting of our inexperienced head coach in his first few years. Then you get the injury bug to the most important part of your team, you get what you got. Match that with a terrible coordinator and a hated position coach, YES those were CPR mistakes, you get a season that we suffered through. You know how it felt last year...

The difference is we think that last year was hiccup, not the trend. No, we haven't won more than he did in his FIRST year, but geez, how many times has ISU won 7 games in a year? Being ISU, you have to hope for a little good luck, and some teams that have to dip a little to get that positive momentum. I was really hoping that it would happen last year to buy us the confidence to move forward with the experience returning this year.

ISU has a likable coach, you stated it. He tried to fix a couple of his mistakes by hiring one of the best in the game. That talent that he bragged about before last year, is back. 10 starters return on our offense and now we add one of the best WRs in the nation.

These are just a few of the reasons we are able to add on to our stadium and break season-ticket sales. The guy is a great salesman and most of us believe he is taking us in the right direction.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
So when you don't have a logical response turn the conversation to basketball. Nice!

Congrats on the win by the way. That was a nice gift those guys gave ya!

Yes, your team has been quite generous in "giving that gift" to teams this year...especially teams that Mr. White believes the Hawkeyes are better than...

Hawkaholic

May 14, 2013
Wow, you are a piece of work. Why do you think anyone cares what a hok fan thinks about Paul Rhoads? You don't see me on circlejerknation.com making fun of your old lady glasses wearing psycho basketball coach, do you?

Just doing you guys a favor. Look at me as a messenger from the outside world. I understand some news is tough to swallow. I get it. However, denying reality is only gonna make it hurt worse when you realize Rhoads isn't the savior everyone thought he was initially. You're just gonna feel like you got played.

My father in law had 4 season tickets to Iowa State prior to last season. He bought into all of the Pollard/Rhoads hype. You know the whole #AllIn #OneWayForward #CycloneState. So then be upgraded to 6 tickets for last season. I seriously felt bad for him. He only ended up going to about half the games, and when he did he had to sell extra tickets for half what he paid for them and towards the end of the season he was just giving them away. He took a hit to the wallet cuz he bought into this BS.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Lazard isn't Superman. The defense will still be terrible, and there wasn't much to make you excited about at either the QB or RB positions. I don't see next year being a whole lot different. 4 or 5 wins max.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Just doing you guys a favor. Look at me as a messenger from the outside world. I understand some news is tough to swallow. I get it. However, denying reality is only gonna make it hurt worse when you realize Rhoads isn't the savior everyone thought he was initially. You're just gonna feel like you got played.

My father in law had 4 season tickets to Iowa State prior to last season. He bought into all of the Pollard/Rhoads hype. You know the whole #AllIn #OneWayForward #CycloneState. So then be upgraded to 6 tickets for last season. I seriously felt bad for him. He only ended up going to about half the games, and when he did he had to sell extra tickets for half what he paid for them and towards the end of the season he was just giving them away. He took a hit to the wallet cuz he bought into this BS.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Lazard isn't Superman. The defense will still be terrible, and there wasn't much to make you excited about at either the QB or RB positions. I don't see next year being a whole lot different. 4 or 5 wins max.

TL;DR

Troll.

WhatMeWorry

Feb 4, 2010
Urbandale
So when you don't have a logical response turn the conversation to basketball. Nice!

Congrats on the win by the way. That was a nice gift those guys gave ya!

Gift? Gessell chokes all the time, did it again against MSU, at home no less. It's his M.O. Have fun with that.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008

The truth is I've always liked Paul Rhoads. I liked the hire. I liked his enthusiasm. At first, it was refreshing compared to Kirk Ferentz's boring press conferences. He and Pollard have certainly rallied the fans. They've sold record numbers of tickets, and raised tons of money.

However, at some point, sooner or later you have got to get over the 6 win hump. He got to 7 in year one and hasn't returned to that since. Last year they took a huge drop off. Please do not say what that guy who just called in tried saying. Very few people in Cyclone Nation expected last year to be that bad. It was a big step backwards. Yet, for some reason Cyclone fans still vehemently defend Rhoads like he's a god. It really doesn't make any sense, and if you try to look at it from outside the box you would realize why people look at Cyclone fans as lemmings right now.

I see your point.

However this thread is more about the media/iowa sucking rather than Rhoads worshiping.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Boy, I sure did. Me and most of the Cyclone fans I knew, at least the ones who took anhonest look at our LB, DL, and OL. I figured we were screwed the moment J Miller was starting (after watching Tulsa bowl game) and especially after we had to move Irving to DT like two weeks before the season. Though I do agree that CPR needs to get over the hump eventually (it won't be next year). Also, since you are a fan of a Big 10 team, I have to point out that most seasons 6-7 wins in the Big 12 with a 9 game conference season is tougher to do than 6-7 in the Big 10 with an 8 game season and a weak lower half.

Last edited:

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Boy, I sure did. Me and most of the Cyclone fans I knew, at least the ones who took anhonest look at our LB, DL, and OL. I figured we were screwed the moment J Miller was starting (after watching Tulsa bowl game) and especially after we had to move Irving to DT like two weeks before the season.

Most Cyclone fans predicted an average 6 win team. They underperformed.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Most Cyclone fans predicted an average 6 win team. They underperformed.

Yeah and most of the ones I know thought we would suck. I figured we would win 4. Thought our d would be very bad. It started out even worse than I thought, then did improve over the year thanks to Wally's coaching, but was still bad. O was worse than I expected. I guess in the end the team I expected might have won 6 games, as the Big 12 was alot weaker than I expected.

Hawkaholic

May 14, 2013
The vast majority of ISU fans on the message board were predicting 5-6 wins. I saw people go as high as 8 or 9. Most of my friends who were ISU fans were predicting at least 5. That's what I'm going off of. By and large, only reaching 3 wins was a huge disappointment. Injuries or not, in year 5 things should be turning a corner.

I will admit Iowa State's schedule has been tough. I will certainly admit Iowa's schedule this upcoming season is gravy. If Iowa can't manage 9 wins or more this upcoming season I will be upset because it is probably the easiest I have ever seen it.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009

Funny thing about your post. Go back and take a look at the last four years -- excluding Rhoads' first year -- and you will discover Iowa's record under Ferentz is 27-24 (2010-2013). Three games above .500 for an experienced coach who has been the Hawks' head coach since 1999. Rhoads' record in that same period was 20-30 for a coach just completing his fifth year. If you average it out, Ferentz record over the last four years is 6.5-6 and gets paid $3 million a year. Rhoads' average record in four years is 5-7.5 and gets about half of Ferentz's salary.

I am just wondering, then, who are the real lemmings in your post?

royhobbs09

Apr 11, 2006

I know this is a lie because I live in California and am only able to make about 1 game per year. At the Gold level, I was able to sell my season tickets for a profit on the year and even almost recouped all of my donation level as well. Admittedly, Iowa and UNI were the biggest sellers, but Texas and OSU also sold for well above face value ticket price and TCU wasn't that far behind face value. KU might have been a tough sell, but that's it. My basketball season tickets have also paid for themselves.

Also, with the 2 wins to finish the year, ISU wasn't incredibly behind my expectations for them. With what they lost on defense, I pegged them at 4-5 wins. With the injuries they suffered through on the o-line, QB and elsewhere, I am not shocked at 3 wins and was particularly encouraged with the 2 wins to close the year. Bringing in one of the best offensive minds in the country this off season should help our defense almost as much as our offense, since we frequently put a lot of pressure on the D with our failure to move the ball consistently.

While you are correct that Paul is a great speaker and Jamie is a master marketer, ISU's upward trajectory, much to your dismay, is tangible. The improvements that have been made to facilities has finally put us on par with Iowa and our Big 12 brethren save maybe Texas and OU. As Sukup and a great basketball coach has helped vault ISU back into the top of the conference in basketball, I expect we are just starting to see some of the benefits that the upgraded FB facilities will have. The South End Zone project, a great coach, a great d coordinator and now a great o coordinator will help keep that momentum going. Sorry for you, but ISU is here to stay.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
The vast majority of ISU fans on the message board were predicting 5-6 wins. I saw people go as high as 8 or 9. Most of my friends who were ISU fans were predicting at least 5. That's what I'm going off of. By and large, only reaching 3 wins was a huge disappointment. Injuries or not, in year 5 things should be turning a corner.

I will admit Iowa State's schedule has been tough. I will certainly admit Iowa's schedule this upcoming season is gravy. If Iowa can't manage 9 wins or more this upcoming season I will be upset because it is probably the easiest I have ever seen it.

11 games at least. Iowa fans should be embarrassed with anything less with THAT schedule.

Last edited:

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Can anybody paraphrase what Sears said or direct me to a link? I can't find anything on it.

cyowa

Apr 18, 2006
The demographics and enrollment numbers are changing, combined with ISU having the better basketball program for two decades and becoming more competitive in football with a clear hiccup here and there...unless you're exclusively catering to the over 60 state of Iowa sports fans there's no reason for the one sided coverage we saw through the entire 90s.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

Meh, its typical for fans on message boards to be optimistic before the season. You say most were predicting 5-6, hell we were a couple plays away from 5 (just one screwjob away from 4). That was also against a schedule that was probably easier than most of us expected, the big 12 took a big step back from the strongest power rated conference that it was the year before.

I think most fans believe CPR can turn it around, particularly after hiring Mangino and think he is still the right man for the job for many reasons. I guess you are surprised we aren't more up in arms and angry about last season? Eh, we are used to some bad years on occasion, and we aren't ready to change the program yet.

Last edited:

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Can anybody paraphrase what Sears said or direct me to a link? I can't find anything on it.

I can sort of paraphrase it. Let's say you have a sister, Sally, that is average looking and the captain of the football team asks her to the prom -- which is in two months -- instead of the head cheerleader, Doreen.

You overhear another person ask the star football player, "Dude, are you really going to go with Sally to prom instead of Doreen?"

Star player: "Yep, I told her I would go with her."

Person: "Are you sure, I mean really sure?"

Star player: "Yep, I am committed."

Person: "But you know what other people are saying, right? I mean, how many times have people came up to you and ask you if your are really going to take Sally to prom instead of Doreen?"

Star player: "A lot, but I keep telling them I am taking Sally."

Person: But you have been over Doreen's house once or twice for parties.

Star Player: Because she throws great parties.

Person: And so you really are going to take Sally to prom instead of Doreen?

Star Player: Yes I am.

Person: What percentage are you sure you are taking Sally instead of Dorren?

Star Player: 97-100 percent

Person: So there is a chance you could still take Dorren?

Star Player: I am taking Sally

Person: Are you sure?

Not word for word, but you get my point.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron