McMurphy says ISU #10 Preseason

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
You will hear good things that won't mean a damn thing until we see the results in the fall. New strength coaches are always touted as a great thing. In this case I think they made a great hire but any stories will still be fluff pieces that would come even with a crappy hire.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you. From what I've heard the new S&C coach is from a different "philosophy tree" so it really sounds like CMC wants to go in a different direction. That's what i will be interested to hear more about I guess.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Yeah, I definitely agree with you. From what I've heard the new S&C coach is from a different "philosophy tree" so it really sounds like CMC wants to go in a different direction. That's what i will be interested to hear more about I guess.
I'll read as well. If it's a RAG story I will consider the source. :)

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
These rankings seem a bit high considering we lose a lot of big pieces in the trenches with 4 of 5 staring OL graduating, losing Lima and Johnson up the middle on DL. Spears, Lewis, Jones, and Pettway are big losses too but I think we have plenty of depth at those positions that it will be next man in and we don't miss a beat there.

No doubt we have a ton of key players back but we are going to need to have a solid performance in the trenches on both sides of the ball with a lot of new guys playing in key roles. If we can't create holes for Hall to run through or protect Purdy in the pocket and get a good push up the middle on the DL that Lima and Johnson provided those are 2 key areas that will need to take a step forward in 2020 if we are going to take that next step forward as a program. Crossing fingers that we get another year of Kolar as well. I think Allen and Soehner would be fine even if we did lose him to the NFL but that is a much stronger and deeper position with all 3 back. WR definitely is a next man in position right now with Milton, Shaw, Akers, and Scates. I think Shaw is due for a huge breakout season 2020 as we saw his role grow later in the season and we probably should have got him involved more sooner based on the results we saw when he was in the game.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I love when people get all mad about one mans top 25. Iowa State could suck next year or be top 10. I don't think anyone really knows at this point. If we put it all together we could get pretty high in the rankings.

It’s the most Iowa State thing ever that some in this fan base, which has a well documented history of playing the “we get no respect” card, is complaining that one well-respected sports writer has ISU in his Top 10.

(I also love that someone “disliked” your post...which is 100% correct).

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
It’s the most Iowa State thing ever that some in this fan base, which has a well documented history of playing the “we get no respect” card, is complaining that one well-respected sports writer has ISU in his Top 10.

(I also love that someone “disliked” your post...which is 100% correct).

Certain posters will dislike anything I say. I'm not worried about it. I could post a real news story and they would disagree with me. Not sure why

• Disagree
Reactions: VeloClone and Rick

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I don't get why people are surprised by this. Freshman AA RB, one of the hottest young coaches out there, AA TE and a QB currently going around 30/1 to win the Heisman

• Funny
Reactions: dirtyninety

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don't get why people are surprised by this. Freshman AA RB, one of the hottest young coaches out there, AA TE and a QB currently going around 30/1 to win the Heisman
McMurphy isn't the only one putting us in their pre-season top-10.. I saw another that had us pegged at #10 as well. It basically comes down to us bringing back a load of talent from last year coupled with the fact that they're believing this will be the year where we put it together and win those close games we've lost in the past.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I get why people are high on us, we won't have many years where the ball bounces like it did last year. As far as the offensive line goes, I do think we have a solid group of young guys that will be just fine. CMC did the right think and stuck with the upperclassmen and not throw the young guys out to the wolves. Off seasons are huge for lineman and I will be curious to hear more about the new strength and conditioning program.
If Campbell's line isn't ready after 5 years we got problems fam.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
While I can buy into Iowa State having a good team and good coaching next year, we also have three road games against other Big 12 teams that he also ranks in his top 25, Texas, TCU and Okie State. Also, the Cy-Hawk game moves over to Iowa City, so yet another tough road game. At some point a team has to start breaking through to win on the road, but up to now, that has not happened. We were 2-3 last year. If we are going to get through 2020 as a ranked team, we will have to win some of these tough road games for a change.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive

Well if you don't count the offensive and defensive lines as question marks then yeah I am not surprised. Losing Johnson and Lima is huge. I'd rather have the middle of my line back than the ends.

Special teams needs to be much better and LOTS of little things need to improve in all three phases of the game.

Count me skeptical on a big season. I'm assuming 7-5, MAYBE 8-4 if things fall right for this team. Until I see it, I'm not buying it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We literally went 8-4 two haha years ago

And I'd venture to say ISU was better fundamentally overall in 2017 and '18, but started to slip in that aspect toward the end of '18 including the bowl game. I remember BU and KSU getting some huge chunks of yardage due to porous tackling etc.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Another perspective is that McMurphy is betting on us finishing second in the Big 12. Not as far fetched from that angle. Still a big big reach, but not as outlandish as some of the lil' bro syndrome Squawks are making it out to be in the comments.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Another perspective is that McMurphy is betting on us finishing second in the Big 12. Not as far fetched from that angle. Still a big big reach, but not as outlandish as some of the lil' bro syndrome Squawks are making it out to be in the comments.

I'm guessing we'll be picked to finish 3rd in the Big 12 behind Oklahoma and Texas