McCarney interviewed at Northern Illinois

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
3-9 does not exactly make it a great decision to fire him. It could be 5 years before the program is back to 7-5 where McCarney had it 5 out of the last 7 years. I am sure if Chizik achieves this he will be honored for "rebuilding" the program.

I am pretty sure that if Chizik isn't 7-5 by year 4 he won't be here anymore. With that said, I think he will be there by year 3 at the latest.

cyingreen

Nov 13, 2006
Jasper County
Dan will land another HC job, he is a good coach and a good recruiter, actually i think he was a very good recruiter. It would be good for him, but he loves living in Florida right now

I agree that DannoMac is a great guy, a positive influence on young men, and loyal to a fault to both his coaches and players. But a "very good recruiter?" Hmmm, I'd like to see the number of classes he had that ranked in the top half of the conference. It seems like I always remember his classes hovering around 9th or below. Now, you can say that he did really good to coach up classes with so little potential to become even low bowl game participants. On the other hand, part of the reason the last two seasons have been so dismal is because of his lack of recruiting success. But I do hope Dan gets the Northern Ill. job. It would seem a very good fit. And make for a very intense and interesting game in 2010.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Navy position is open. Can Dan become an Annapolis Midshipman?

Dan the (Midship) Man

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I think it is great that Dan is a finalist. He is a class guy, and this may be a perfect fit for him. He plays the underdog role pretty good, and can motivate teams that are lacking talent for big games.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
There are going to be precious few situations where a hiring school is going to be willing to hire a guy that has a career record of 56-85. It's just too tough of a sell to the school's fans and boosters. The unknown quantity (someone who has never coached on this level) will be favored over a known quantity (with the type of record our prior coach had) every time.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I'm amazed by the ever increasing fond memories of DMc. "Great guy, great ambassador, always positive, class act", etc. I think these comments are all true (and some would say the same about Walden), but pay me a million bucks a year and expect me to win 1/3 of my games-- where do I sign up????
We paid Dan (very well I might add) to coach winning football. We all know the results. And so do all of the ISU critics who said 'we would be sorry for firing Dan McCarney'. Where are the critics now when the long line of universities trying to hire Dan amounts to one??

Do I wish Dan the best, of course. But let's stay real about waxing Dan in the same way some of us do Johnny.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
No need to be sorry man! I just think that if you get into coaching for the money you will probably wash out before you ever get a chance to make the good money. The entry level guys work like dogs for little or no pay for quite a while to earn their stripes before they are given positions where they make a little money. I believe it to be far worse than a typical career path that other college graduates might take.

Now certainly, when you get to the very top of your profession (like Saban)....the financial rewards are great. But the scrutiny, pressure, and demands are also great...job security is pretty tenuous at best. Can you blame these guys for not getting what "the market will bear"? I cannot. You are correct that money is a huge issue in collegiate sports but it is just not the coaches taking advantage...the Universities are quite intricately involved as well.

Speaking of working like dogs, Kansas Ex-Grad assistant Petraccus, who was the man behind Mangino getting recruits, would help the potential recruit get the needed credits before recruits were academically qualified for Kansas. Kansas was slapped on the wrists and Petracus floated to LSU. Looks like TO did not care about his past as Lincoln is bringing him from LSU as a GA to a fulkl time coaching position. Hmmm. Mangino must be smiling.:nah::nah:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'm amazed by the ever increasing fond memories of DMc. "Great guy, great ambassador, always positive, class act", etc. I think these comments are all true (and some would say the same about Walden), but pay me a million bucks a year and expect me to win 1/3 of my games-- where do I sign up????
We paid Dan (very well I might add) to coach winning football. We all know the results. And so do all of the ISU critics who said 'we would be sorry for firing Dan McCarney'. Where are the critics now when the long line of universities trying to hire Dan amounts to one??

Do I wish Dan the best, of course. But let's stay real about waxing Dan in the same way some of us do Johnny.

I always get a kick out of these posts. I bet you and all the anti DMac people where all about having fun and partying it up though when he took us to Pheonix and guided ISU to their FIRST BOWL GAME VICTORY in school history.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Of course I was in Arizona partying with the best of them. It was nice win over a decent Pitt team. I also partied in the 70s when we had a team that could play with anyone in the country. We certainly would have had our "first bowl game victory " long before Dan if the competition was similar to what it was in the desert.
Jellyroll didn't go onto Ohio St. because he was such a nice guy. The guy could coach. Dan's a great guy, but anyone who pretends this guy was a program saver must have started rooting for ISU in the 90s.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Of course I was in Arizona partying with the best of them. It was nice win over a decent Pitt team. I also partied in the 70s when we had a team that could play with anyone in the country. We certainly would have had our "first bowl game victory " long before Dan if the competition was similar to what it was in the desert.
Jellyroll didn't go onto Ohio St. because he was such a nice guy. The guy could coach. Dan's a great guy, but anyone who pretends this guy was a program saver must have started rooting for ISU in the 90s.

You, my friend, have nailed it!

--Coaches don't get hired because they are nice guys...they get hired to win. Witness the fact that nearly every year someone is trying to woo the likes of Bobby Petrino to their school (41-9 as a CFB coach) knowing he is a jackass and a good guy like McCarney will not get any opportunities (56-85 as a CFB coach).

--The ISU FB program has never been back to playing the high quality ball that we played under Bruce in the 70s since that time. Anyone that compares the McCarney 12 year record to that of the 12 years prior to him (4 Criner and 8 Walden) will see that he didn't "save" anything...the winning percentages are nearly identical.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Man, I love it when people bring up the facts.

Long time Clone fans such as us can argue the emotional struggles we have had supporting Iowa State, but the most important and changing fact remains-- our new athletic director came and decided Dan was not the man. Let's move on and look forward to the next 12 year span, one with winning football.

clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
St Louis, MO
You, my friend, have nailed it!

--Coaches don't get hired because they are nice guys...they get hired to win.

So true. It probably used to be that way before, but not any more. These days, it's all about "what have you done for me lately" and DMac really hasn't done much in terms of being aggressive and stepping up. 6-6 seasons just won't cut it let alone some 4-8 season or worse every other year.