McCarney - Buy or Sell?

McCarney should be:

• Fired Now.

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Fired at season's end, no matter what.

Votes: 19 8.9%
  • Fired at season's end if we don't win the North.

Votes: 68 31.9%
  • Allowed at least one more season, if not more.

Votes: 88 41.3%
  • Kept here for as long as he'll stay.

Votes: 36 16.9%

• Total voters

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
Express your opinion on McCarney's job status. Some things to think about.
1. We were bad before McCarney. Really bad.
2. A lot of the bowls we've been to did not even exist until recently.
3. He has been Big XII coach of the year. (twice???)
4. The team seems to have plateaued under his leadership.
5. We could have clinched the Big 12 North for the past two years if he had been able to beat an inferior oppenent, and failed.
6. We have an uncanny ability to throw away games late. (see #5)

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
We were awful before McCarney. He may not be the best coach in the NCAA, but he's consistent. We hadn't had that in years.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
as much as I am upset about this season so far, I am loyal and I still say 'buy' at this point. However, if we dont' become a 8-9 win team soon, I will sell. I mean, seriously, how many years are me going to ride the 6-7 win season. Hell, K-State went from sh*t to awesome to sh*t in the time it has taken us to 'plateau' at 7 wins.

MrApathy

Aug 7, 2006
at this point if any needs to go I would say Defensive Coordinator.
we need a defense that can play all quarters especially the 4th.

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
If you look at the records from the coaches prior to Mac, Duncan would have taken us to two bowls under the current system, Criner would have taken us to a bowl, and even Walden would have taken us to a bowl.
The guy will never get this program to another level, if it hasn't happened in 12 (that's twelve) years, it ain't gonna happen.
I was never a fan, but I really thought that he could see what all of us see, open up the offense, get the ball to Blythe, etc. But he hasn't, so now we must, for the good of the program, wish Dan well and send him back to a coordinators job, which really is his strength.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Our defense hasn't been too horrible. Remember our D is young and inexperienced, though talented. I think nobody here can say they expected anything better at this point. I do agree as though it seems they tend to break in the 2nd half.

I think the less than stellar start to the season has fallen on coaching style and the inability of our offense to execute (see coaching).

Sell McCarney if he doesnt win 7 games this season. If he does get 7 wins this season, but doesn't win more than 7 next year, then sell. So basically if he can finish this season out to be decent, keep him. If he can't do anything after next year, give him the boot.

brutodd

Apr 11, 2006
KS -> Albuquerque->KS
I am a buy, but with a caveat: He must consistently get to 8 wins w/in a couple years. What is interesting to me is that as a kid growing up as a Squawkeye (I saw the light at 19 when I transferred from CSU to ISU) nobody gave a rat's arse about ISU. Sure, we had some die-hard kids and teachers in my high school, but honestly, realistically, nobody cared.

Now look at us. Sure, we have seemingly plateaued for a while. That is inevitable. But people CARE. We have our own wall at Jordan Creek Mall. Lead singers of 80's rock bands are wearing our starting QB's jersey out on stage for an encore. Our AD is pushing us all as alumni and students to do something about our college sports programs. We are disappointed at 7 win seasons.

Nobody, unless they are a storied program (of which Iowa is not one, no matter what people say) gets to rise, and keep on rising. Everybody platueaus - its just that ours is a win or two less than the "storied" college football programs. But that can come, and change as we get better.

So what this rambling is all about is look how far we have come, and can go. What I would love to know is how much influence DMac has on the game - realistically. So if somebody does know, please fill me in! O and D coordinators for the most part call those aspects of the game, with the head coach (I think) sometimes stepping in. I know that DMac has the final say, and he has a game plan, but wouldnt' it be better if we kept the great motivator that DMac is and get some "young minds" in here? I mean if Chuck Long and Bret B at Wisky can get head coaching gigs, there has to be a slew of assistant coaches who are somewhat of a dreamer when it comes to play calling, who are just jonesin' for a chance to be an O or D coordinator at a Big Twelve school.

So there you have it - fix it by getting rid of the old guard, namely the O, get a Frank Beamer-esque special teams coach - and bring in some young minds. As a roommate of a former ISU college hoops walk-on who has great stories of how DMac would approach him before and during the season about playing hard and working hard, my roommate felt like he was ready to suit up and play football for DMac, thats how good of a motivator he is. So for all of those reasons mentioned above, and for the potential our school has, I am buying DMac.

Last edited:

Jake

Apr 11, 2006
I agree. Lets take a knee when we are ahead with 1:30 in any half. If we are losing, don't worry we will take a knee.

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
The coordinators make the play calls, however the philosophy comes from the man in charge. That philosophy is what has become the problem. If we are going to keep this coach, then we have to bring in new coordinators. New blood with a fresh approach, and have Dan just stay the hell out of the way.

Fletch

Apr 10, 2006
Sell, Sell, Sell.

The team that played to win...won. Period.
Game was over when we started sitting on it at the end of the first half.
Mac brought us to the gates of greatness...its obvious that we need someone to get us to the next level. Furthermore if you are happy with our 6-5 seasons I hope you like being the assitant manager at subway for the rest of your life. I would rather be 1-11 than watch this nonsense every year. Don't tell me we didn't have the talent to win today, last year vs. KU or the year before vs. Mizzou.

Jamie... pull the trigger my friend, pull the trigger.

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
I want to ask all of the fans two questions:
1)Do you feel that you deserve to have a winning football program (not 6-5, but 8-9 wins consistently)???
2)With what we know of Mac, and we have plenty of evidence after 12 years, do you feel he is the coach to take this program to the next level???
I would appreciate feedback, with solid reasoning, not just yes/no.
Thank you for your taking time to consider these questions.

St8Grad

Mar 30, 2006
Nashville, TN
I want to ask all of the fans two questions:
1)Do you feel that you deserve to have a winning football program (not 6-5, but 8-9 wins consistently)???
2)With what we know of Mac, and we have plenty of evidence after 12 years, do you feel he is the coach to take this program to the next level???
I would appreciate feedback, with solid reasoning, not just yes/no.
Thank you for your taking time to consider these questions.

Good questions. I definitely feel that we deserve 8-9+ wins consistently! And I don't think that DMAC is the guy to get us to the next level. I love the guy & admire his determination & enthusiasm, but let's just thank him for getting us this far (competing consistently in nearly every game but not consistenly WINNING). He's done a lot for ISU, but we'd be better served at this point with new blood. BTW, these were my thoughts BEFORE the Iowa game today...

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
True, but let's not settle for mediocrity. Do you want to watch ISU win, or just be somewhat better than awful???

I understand completely what you're saying, St8Grad. I truly don't want to watch us just pass by. There are just so many glimmers of hope - granted, some of them are wasted, but the hope is still there...

St8Grad

Mar 30, 2006
Nashville, TN
The coordinators make the play calls, however the philosophy comes from the man in charge. That philosophy is what has become the problem. If we are going to keep this coach, then we have to bring in new coordinators. New blood with a fresh approach, and have Dan just stay the hell out of the way.

Agreed. If DMAC is the 'figurehead' in the future, that's fine. Let's just have damn good Coordinators & Coaches surrounding him!

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
I think at least 7 wins this year in the regular season, and then at least 8 next year. It seems if our defense is good, our offense is talented but inexperienced. Next year are defense will be good, but our O-line, which has taken 4 years to be decent, will be inexperianced. Even when the defense is good, it's bend but don't break philosphy needs looked at. I think Skaldany needs to go first.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
The poll now works, sorry for the problems with it stating invalid poll. You can now register your opinion:)

mattclemon

Apr 11, 2006
Let's fire him and hire Criner or Walden again, that will be better. National titles don't happen overnight.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I was at the game today sitting way up high in Section 101 (with the other ISU fans). Two major momentum "turning points", namely the oft-mentioned "end of first half", followed closely by the "settling for field goal" on the first possession of the third quarter. We knew it was over then, as Iowa seized all the momentum.

We walked home from the game (probably four miles) to get over it; played with the kids awhile and sat down to watch late afternoon tilts. I watched Tommy Tuberville of Auburn convert a "fourth & one" from his own forty yard line, followed shortly by Bobby Stoops of Oklahoma scoring a TD on 4th & one from the Oregon 14. With 100% certainty, I can tell you Mac would have punted in the first situation and attempted a FG in the second. That's the difference between coaches who play to win and DMac. If you're content with playing it safe 100% of the time and being rewarded with 6 or 7 win years, DMac's your guy. Sad to say it, but he's not going to change after twelve years....

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron