MBB Recruiting Tidbit

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'd love to get this kid, and allow all the rest of the young guys to develop at a regular pace. Throwing all of these freshman in the mix isn't always a great idea IMO.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
Tyrone Appleton is from Gary, Indiana. So I'm guessing Mac could have hit up him and Darius Stevens both

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
I don't know about his other options, but he should like his chances of making an immediate impact at ISU.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Can he trasfer at the semester break and play during Big XII league play? (Just wishful thinking, not a real question)

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
This article says that he is actually a "true shooting guard":

A lot of things did not go as Tyrone Appleton originally planned last year, but that wasn't not so bad.

Appleton did not expect to play point guard at Midland College last year and he probably didn't even imagine winning a national championship in the first year of playing junior college basketball.

But Appleton, a true shooting guard, found out that anything was possible as he could play the point and lead a team to its first national championship in 25 years.

Entering this season, Appleton is not only a veteran point guard for the Chaparrals, he's a preseason NJCAA All-American. While nobody on No. 4-ranked Midland College men's basketball team is talking about a national championship this season, Appleton is one that should know that anything is possible.

"I just want us to win our first game, that's the first goal," said Appleton, who averaged 14 points, 3.3 rebounds and 3.2 assists a game for the 29-8 Chaparrals last season. "Everybody is going to want to get us, knowing we won a national championship. But (head coach Grant McCasland) has done a good job of preparing us for different situations we're going to face this season."

Appleton is one of three lettermen returning from last year's national championship squad as he is joined by Midland High product Marcus Washington and 6-foot-8 post Darris Santee. Adrian Van Buren, another MHS graduate, is out for the season with a knee injury, leaving Appleton as the only returning starter.

"We've got a few players coming back who know what it takes to win a national championship, so we're just going to help the other guys out and try to lead them," Appleton said.

Being a leader is something else Appleton has learned to do. Last year, he counted on players such as Jordan Brooks and Nemanja Calasan to be the vocal leaders of the team. Now he is the on most players will lean on when times get tough.

"I just have to be more vocal this year," he said.

McCasland said he's not putting any pressure on Appleton to be a leader for his team.

"I think that's something that you have to earn just like any of our other guys," McCasland said. "He's come in every day, worked hard and has let the leadership speak for itself.

"Tyrone to me typifies what our team is this year. I would say that his greatest quality is his confidence and the ability to make other people around him better."

Just what he accomplished last year, proved that he could be a leader for a very talented team. When projected starter Ryan McCoy was sidelined with health problems at the beginning of last season, Appleton was asked to take on an unfamiliar role as point guard. He said the entire season was a learning process but he learned to adjust to the new responsibilities.

"Coach wanted me to play (point guard), so I guess he had the confidence in me," he said. "I just wanted to show him that I could play multiple positions. I feel I'm more prepared to play the position this year."

McCasland said Appleton is not a typical point guard that looks to pass first and shoot second. And even though Appleton is not a flashy player, McCasland said he finds a way to get the job done.

"He took a lot of ownership and made that position unique to him," McCasland said. "He's going to do what it takes to win. It doesn't always look great but when it's all said and done, but it's hard to say anybody else impacts his team more than he does."

Appleton said this team has a chance to be very good as the Chaps appear to be a better shooting team than last year's, plus they have a national championship trophy as their motivation. And like McCasland, Appleton is not placing any added pressure on repeating. He's said he's just worried on taking one game at a time.

"This is a completely different team and I think we'll play a little different than last year," McCasland said. "We haven't talked about winning a national championship. We have talked a lot about the dedication and effort that it takes to be a champion."

And nobody knows more about dedication and being a champion than Appleton.

©MyWestTexas.com 2007

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
Anyone else notice that his rival profile said he comitted to VA Tech last Thursday?

That was last year if you look at the date of the article and the fact that he played for a prep school at the time.

I see that Indiana is on his list...what's the over/under on # of calls or txt messages he gets from sampson during his visit? :biglaugh:

kurimski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I see that Indiana is on his list...what's the over/under on # of calls or txt messages he gets from sampson during his visit?

Sounds like another bet for Cybookie!!!

Help Support Us

Become a patron