Maybe it's the Cardinal and Gold lenses I am peering through but......

Iron24

Jul 16, 2008
Yup. Eventually Craig and/or Lucca will have an off night - it's bound to happen. And when that does, won't matter who we're playing, we're screwed unless someone else starts to somewhat consistently step up.

Yes, i would have to agree with you, if one of those guys (craig or lucca) have an off night and no one else steps up we're screwed. The three people who i think could step up would be garrett, petersen, or hamilton. Garrett has those nights every once in a while where he plays well and give us a spark, but then just vanishes in terms of production, Petersen= senior leader, can shoot and pull down some rebounds when necessary and play some good defense, Hamilton on the other hand could step up when the opponent is focusing on craig and help out when craig is getting doubled down low. This game saturday at columbia is crucial to help us toward our goal of post-season play. (NIT)

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I would not get overly excited, we have played 1 quality opponent in the last month.

pujolsman

Mar 3, 2008
Lucca Staiger is also starting to look like the shooter he was supposed to be. Possibly a Ben Jacobsen in the making. Mac built his program at UNI around gaurd Ben Jacobsen and his three point shooting. I think we might finally have a gaurd who fights this system perfectly and knows how to shoot.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
For everyone counting on Hamilton, you have to remember this kid is going to hit the wall. I love watching him play and the mind boggling amount of improvement you see every week out of him, but he's only been playing ball for what 3 years?

Guys that have been playing their whole lives still hit the freshman wall. Anything we get out of Justin from here on out is gravy but I wouldn't put too much stock in the kid becoming the scoring threat when they have an off night.

Oh, and feel free to berate and publicly flog me when Ham proves me wrong

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
For everyone counting on Hamilton, you have to remember this kid is going to hit the wall. I love watching him play and the mind boggling amount of improvement you see every week out of him, but he's only been playing ball for what 3 years?

Guys that have been playing their whole lives still hit the freshman wall. Anything we get out of Justin from here on out is gravy but I wouldn't put too much stock in the kid becoming the scoring threat when they have an off night.

Oh, and feel free to berate and publicly flog me when Ham proves me wrong

Obviously, nothing is guaranteed, but I do know he is through his freshman wall already.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Obviously, nothing is guaranteed, but I do know he is through his freshman wall already.
Looks like McDermott finally started listening about the zone deal. Too bad we got shot out of it after 5 possessions. Hopefully we'll see more.
The key the rest of the way will be how DG plays. He is our only guy who can get into the paint and get us easy baskets. He should look to drive more and get himself onto the free throw line, we need those easy baskets.
One thing I'd like to see a little more of is the high-low game. JVD is a decent passer and when he's in the game he always does a good job of getting Brackins the ball.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Looks like McDermott finally started listening about the zone deal. Too bad we got shot out of it after 5 possessions. Hopefully we'll see more.
The key the rest of the way will be how DG plays. He is our only guy who can get into the paint and get us easy baskets. He should look to drive more and get himself onto the free throw line, we need those easy baskets.
One thing I'd like to see a little more of is the high-low game. JVD is a decent passer and when he's in the game he always does a good job of getting Brackins the ball.

This is actually quite funny in several ways...

But anyway it's not about listening or not...it's about whether or not he feels like it will help us both short term and long term.

Also, Nebraska did shoot us out of it.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Nebraska only had one guy that could shoot. We could have easily stayed in that zone and just keep a better eye on him running the baseline. Every high school team in the country has a shooter run the baseline against the zone, it shouldn't have been a big suprise...

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
This is actually quite funny in several ways...

But anyway it's not about listening or not...it's about whether or not he feels like it will help us both short term and long term.

Also, Nebraska did shoot us out of it.
Am I wrong or what? You said previously a lot of people were in McDermott's ear about playing zone. I presumed he finally gave in to his assistants and started realizing it would be good for the team. I got mad when the Nebraska guy made a few 3's because we had to get out of it and I figured it would discourage McDermott to run it anymore.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
Nebraska only had one guy that could shoot. We could have easily stayed in that zone and just keep a better eye on him running the baseline. Every high school team in the country has a shooter run the baseline against the zone, it shouldn't have been a big suprise...
From my angle it looked like 2 out of the 3 shots were pretty well contested he just was a good shooter and put them in. Besides this the guys looked comfortable and active in the zone.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Am I wrong or what? You said previously a lot of people were in McDermott's ear about playing zone. I presumed he finally gave in to his assistants and started realizing it would be good for the team. I got mad when the Nebraska guy made a few 3's because we had to get out of it and I figured it would discourage McDermott to run it anymore.
No, you're right...sorry, more like inside joke funny.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron