Max Duggan cleared to play Saturday

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Pretty impressive since that first year is really dragging the average down.

...even more so when you remember what our program is from a historical perspective.

The Campbell era is already the longest era of sustained success in the history of ISU football with maybe the exception of the Majors/Bruce era. There is nothing else out there to really challenge those two epochs.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Bunch of god damn quitters in this thread.
I don't give two $hits about "historical trends" I'm only concerned with what CMC has accomplished and proven while he's been at Iowa State. GTFOH with that garbage.
bunch of gosh dern quitters...

GTFOH becomes, GTHOH (Get The Heck Outta Here), Ha.

Just messin with ya! I'm not offended. Let's play some football!

Cyvilian

Apr 15, 2006
Remember when ISU knocked Brad Smith out of the game and Chase Daniel came in?

Yea, this is nothing like that except Duggan is gonna have like 600 total yards against ISU.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Thanks for bring back that memory.

:jimlad:

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Duggan has a heart condition and is going to miss...checks notes...zero games? Oh well I guess. The D better be ready to get after it.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
...even more so when you remember what our program is from a historical perspective.

The Campbell era is already the longest era of sustained success in the history of ISU football with maybe the exception of the Majors/Bruce era. There is nothing else out there to really challenge those two epochs.
I do admire what Campbell has done here so far, but if you look back at our history, both Rhoads and McCarney enjoyed a similar stint of success over a 4 year period. Rhoads had us bowling 3 out of 4 years (and ultimately 3 out of 7) McCarney also took us to a bowl 5 times over a 6 year period. Only real difference with Rhoads is he never won more than 7 games in a season. McCarney won 9 but was aided by a very soft schedule that season.

It's wonderful what Campbell is doing but it is critical for him to keep it going, lest he follow the path of his predecessors

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I do admire what Campbell has done here so far, but if you look back at our history, both Rhoads and McCarney enjoyed a similar stint of success over a 4 year period. Rhoads had us bowling 3 out of 4 years (and ultimately 3 out of 7) McCarney also took us to a bowl 5 times over a 6 year period. Only real difference with Rhoads is he never won more than 7 games in a season. McCarney won 9 but was aided by a very soft schedule that season.

It's wonderful what Campbell is doing but it is critical for him to keep it going, lest he follow the path of his predecessors

This is lazy if you think this is the only real difference between Rhoads and Campbell.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
This is lazy if you think this is the only real difference between Rhoads and Campbell.
If we're going off coaching record or bowl appearances over a 4 year stretch I'm not sure what you mean by lazy. What am I missing? I know Matt has changed the culture here, but I don't think there was too bad of a cultural issue in those first 4 years of Rhoads. One could even argue that Rhoads changed the abysmal culture he inherited from Chizik and the latter McCarney years

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
If we're going off coaching record or bowl appearances over a 4 year stretch I'm not sure what you mean by lazy. What am I missing? I know Matt has changed the culture here, but I don't think there was too bad of a cultural issue in those first 4 years of Rhoads. One could even argue that Rhoads changed the abysmal culture he inherited from Chizik and the latter McCarney years

How many times did Rhoads have a winning conference season?

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Remember when ISU knocked Brad Smith out of the game and Chase Daniel came in?

Yea, this is nothing like that except Duggan is gonna have like 600 total yards against ISU.
YES, Worst day listening to Cyclone football and working in the shop in my life. Now it is all on TV. I have to stop getting things done to watch.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
He didn't, but he could beat Iowa every now and then to make up for it. I'm not about to defend CPR beyond that, so that's the last I'll say about it. The point I'm trying to make is so far the gap between the 2 is much more narrow in reality than a lot of fans crack it up to be.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
He didn't, but he could beat Iowa every now and then to make up for it. I'm not about to defend CPR beyond that, so that's the last I'll say about it. The point I'm trying to make is so far the gap between the 2 is much more narrow in reality than a lot of fans crack it up to be.

Yep. Conference realignment doomed CPR, Covid could do the same for Matt Campbell.

• Agree
  • Dumb
Reactions: BigCyFan and Aclone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Yep. Conference realignment doomed CPR, Covid could do the same for Matt Campbell.

Explain how Covid is going to doom CMC? Conference realignment didn't doom CPR, his inability to recruit did. His successful years were all built off of Chicik's recruits. Paul's recruiting strategy was all in on Texas table scraps and we all know how that turned out. Man, if you can't see the difference between those eras of Cyclone football you might need to get your eyes checked.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I don't think that's a fair comparison. Covid is effecting everyone. conference realignment affected teams like Iowa State more because the rumors were that they would be left out of the P5 so teams used that against them in recruiting. Non Big 12 teams weren't effected at all, and programs like Texas, Oklahoma, OSU etc were never going to be "left out".

• Agree

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

This couldn't be any farther from reality. We are literally living in one of the best runs in Iowa State football history and this is what you have to say? This is so lazy!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I'm really not here to criticize CMC, but if you think the CPR Big 12 and the current Big 12 are even close to comparable....

K-State, Baylor, Tech, WVU all were Top 10 level teams at times that are now not very good.

• Agree

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I don't think that's a fair comparison. Covid is effecting everyone. conference realignment affected teams like Iowa State more because the rumors were that they would be left out of the P5 so teams used that against them in recruiting. Non Big 12 teams weren't effected at all, and programs like Texas, Oklahoma, OSU etc were never going to be "left out".

I'm not saying that conference realignment didn't put Iowa State and CPR in a tough spot but I also don't feel like they adapted to the times either. Outside of Kansas and Iowa State literally every team in the conference got better which made the climb really steep for Paul. It was pretty clear early on that his Texas recruiting strategy wasn't going to work but he never changed it up. I want to say it was around 2013 when Paul went on a rant making fun of Twitter. He literally had one of the most powerful FREE recruiting tools in the palm of his hand and refused to embrace change. I knew that day that his run was going to get ugly and the Iowa State was getting left in the dust. Both ended up being true.

• Agree

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron