Matt Campbell Big 12 Coach of the Year (Annual Thread)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

bsaltyman

Drinker of beer
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
tenor.gif

Reactions: Aclone and Peter

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I didn't think I'd see these kinds of times with our football program as long as I lived.

Clemson loses, Ohio State loses, and we win, and we have a legitimate playoff argument.

Honestly i think its just Ohio State.

We win a conference championship and notch another high quality win against OU and i think thats enough for the committee to bump us over A&M. OSU's only real claim to be in right now is that theyre undefeated, so if they lose they're out and we then slide in.

Conversely if clemson loses a close one to Notre Dame i could see them just getting slid down to #4 (the way they barely moved Florida this week sends a bit of a message there).

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

We win a conference championship and notch another high quality win against OU and i think thats enough for the committee to bump us over A&M. OSU's only real claim to be in right now is that theyre undefeated, so if they lose they're out and we then slide in.

Conversely if clemson loses a close one to Notre Dame i could see them just getting slid down to #4 (the way they barely moved Florida this week sends a bit of a message there).

I want ND to beat Clemson again for many reasons but one of the reasons is to challenge the committee on whether or not ND should have to beat Clemson a 3rd time in an effort to win the title!

• Winner
Reactions: xboxfever

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Reading the list of Iowa State guys is erotic.

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Yeah, we need Ohio State eliminated from the conversation. Do not give them a chance with the committee.

Notre Dame "proving it" against Clemson with Lawrence would be the best outcome for us, though, even if not 100% necessary for us to have a case or a shot at it. It would just create another open berth.

In that world, you have Alabama and Notre Dame for sure and these groups lobbying for the last two slots...

Clemson = 9-2 with two losses to ND but hey guys we've been really good the last decade
Ohio State = 5-1 yeah we only played six games and we lost one of them but come on we're Ohio State
Texas A&M = 7-1, really good season, but already lost to Alabama and didn't win their division
Iowa State = 9-2 with a Big 12 championship, one okayish early season loss and then a close one to Oky St.
Florida = 8-3 or 9-2, might have a case for a slot if they beat Alabama and are SEC champions at 9-2

I suppose these two would make an argument, as well, but I think it is clear the committee doesn't care...

Cincinnati = 8-0 another iteration of the UCF problem
Coastal Carolina = 11-0 another version of this only with an even weaker schedule

I am surprised there isn't at least even *a little* buzz for what could be a 6-0 Southern Cal, too.

I think we'd be one of the stronger options on that menu, but this could get very contentious.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
we all know they just award the coach in first place...... /s

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Reading the list of Iowa State guys is erotic.
Its great to see, and our guys are deserving. Like always, getting guys on this list is easier when you win the conference.

Reactions: CyTwins