Matt and Miller going off about Jamie Pollard

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
George Patton studied the situation and made the right decisions. His results speak for themselves (as do Pollard's). Had Patton met 0.5 out of 10 goals, we'd be speaking German today. Patton's job was also vastly different from an AD's. Patton did not have to be a salesman, nor did he have to raise money. The latter especially is very important to an AD.

Pollard presents himself as a bureaucrat because of the issues he tackles. A good AD should be hob-knobbing with people like Albaugh and our wealthy alumni, and finding BIG donors who contribute 5, 6, and 7 figure amounts -- like the Hendricks family at Nebraska or the Carver, Krause, and Pomerantz families at Iowa. Instead he has been spending time putting up his stupid billboard, changing the logo, changing the colors, and blaming fans for not buying enough stuff when the teams, bands, and cheerleaders have mismatched uniforms and warmups, and sniping at certain sports reporters. Our previous AD's did not spend time worrying about the trivial while ignoring the big picture, and neither do AD's at schools like Texas.

Your head is up your azz (yes personal attack)

Can we close this thread now? There is no value to continuing it.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Why is everyone convinced that Albaugh cares all that much about ISU or is inclined to give us a dime?

The man's name comes up on these boards - seemingly second only that Harrison Barnes.

Just because he has more money than the rest of us put together a thousand times over - doesn't mean he's compelled to give it to ISU.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
George Patton studied the situation and made the right decisions. His results speak for themselves (as do Pollard's). Had Patton met 0.5 out of 10 goals, we'd be speaking German today. Patton's job was also vastly different from an AD's. Patton did not have to be a salesman, nor did he have to raise money. The latter especially is very important to an AD.

Pollard presents himself as a bureaucrat because of the issues he tackles. A good AD should be hob-knobbing with people like Albaugh and our wealthy alumni, and finding BIG donors who contribute 5, 6, and 7 figure amounts -- like the Hendricks family at Nebraska or the Carver, Krause, and Pomerantz families at Iowa. Instead he has been spending time putting up his stupid billboard, changing the logo, changing the colors, and blaming fans for not buying enough stuff when the teams, bands, and cheerleaders have mismatched uniforms and warmups, and sniping at certain sports reporters. Our previous AD's did not spend time worrying about the trivial while ignoring the big picture, and neither do AD's at schools like Texas.
If Monty's chief means of argument were not ad nauseam and selective reading, I would be tempted to defend Pollard. As it is, I see no need.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Why is everyone convinced that Albaugh cares all that much about ISU or is inclined to give us a dime?

The man's name comes up on these boards - seemingly second only that Harrison Barnes.

Just because he has more money than the rest of us put together a thousand times over - doesn't mean he's compelled to give it to ISU.
I think one/some of his kids (or their spouses) are ISU fans. Also, many donations to the department have come from fringe "fans", or even Iowa supporters.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
If Jamie had stated his goal was to win the in-state challenge 50% of the time, then bravo, he has done it. Unfortunately he stated his goal was to win it. I guess he forgot to mention he meant "win it half the time", kind of like he forgot to mention that he gave a contract extension to a 2-10 football coach who was coming under fire from the fans.

Even giving him partial credit means he has met 0.5 out of his 10 goals. That's pretty sad.

Let me start off by quoting for you the actual goal he wrote concerning the cyhawk trophy.

"Win the annual Cy-Hawk Competition between Iowa State University and the University of Iowa."

He did not say "win it every year." He said win it. He won it. Twice. Mission accomplished, and then some.

As for your 0/10 or "generous" 0.5/10, let's look at your ACTUAL assessment.

Result = Fail

Result = Fail

Result = Failing after 3 of the 5 years

Result = Failing after 3 of the 5 years.

Result = Fail (73rd place in 2007)

Result = Epic Fail (lost by largest margin in history of series)

Result = On pace to fail

Result = unknown

Result = Private donations by 2010 to exceed the 2008 department budget? Unlikely. Where is it coming from? Pollard has secured zilch from Albaugh or any other big donors. On pace for epic fail.

On pace to fail.

Even if we take your assessments at face value, when we correct your self-serving mistake concerning the failure to win the Cy-Hawk Series, Jamie's only failed at 3 of his 10, and one of those 3 he can redeem by 2011. You've only actually declared 3 losses, just decided to count everything else as a loss because you don't like the man. Far from going 0/10, so far, we can't rightly grade him. He's still in the running to reach 70%. And considering how lofty those goals are, 70% is impressive.

Oh, and Monty, on the subject of "on pace to fail" on the 5 conference championships in the next 5 years, we've already got 3 under our belt in 3 years. Not sure how you can call being right on pace "on pace to fail."

Get your head out of it, man. Grow up.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I think one/some of his kids (or their spouses) are ISU fans. Also, many donations to the department have come from fringe "fans", or even Iowa supporters.

Well that's all well and good.

My wife is a u of i grad, my family are all pretty much hawk fans. I'm not sending any cash that way.

I think it has alot more to do with the fact that the man has more money than God, and somehow ISU is entitled to a slice of the pie in many people's eyes. He's referred to almost like a sugar daddy.

He's been worth hundreds of millions for about 20 years now. That's something to consider....

Not saying he won't, and that he's not a generous person (he hosts/sponsors golf outtings at his course every year, I believe), but the talk is almost one of expectation, sometimes bordering on demanding.

And more to the point, and back to the original "accusation" about Mr Albaugh.. anyone who doesn't think JP is courting him for donations - is out of their freaking mind.

Last edited:

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I think it has alot more to do with the fact that the man has more money than God, and somehow ISU is entitled to a slice of the pie in many people's eyes. He's referred to almost like a sugar daddy.

.... the talk is almost one of expectation, sometimes bordering on demanding.
Perhaps.
IMO it is more about ISU fans wanting/hoping for something that could advance the athletic department, and is also with-in the realm of possibilities, to come to realization- little to do with entitlement or demanding. If there is any demanding, it is for JP needing to get something like this done, whether it be with Mr. Albaugh or someone else (and we know he is working hard to do this).
When ISU fans speculate and hope for commitments from recruits, do you interpret that the talk is almost ne of expectation or demanding? To me it i just the natural discourse of sports message boards.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa

No George didnt' always make the right decisions. You just have to read a little history to understand that. He had some serious character flaws(he had a huge ego...does that sound familiar?). He was not perfect and he made mistakes, but he truly lead and if you think he worried about pleasing everyone I've got some property I can sell you in Mexico... Patton lead an army that was used to win a war. Pollard is leading an athletic department to victory. Lot of similarities in my mind and you don't win every battle.

Pollard presents himself as a bureaucrat because of the issues he tackles. A good AD should be hob-knobbing with people like Albaugh and our wealthy alumni, and finding BIG donors who contribute 5, 6, and 7 figure amounts -- like the Hendricks family at Nebraska or the Carver, Krause, and Pomerantz families at Iowa. Instead he has been spending time putting up his stupid billboard, changing the logo, changing the colors, and blaming fans for not buying enough stuff when the teams, bands, and cheerleaders have mismatched uniforms and warmups, and sniping at certain sports reporters. Our previous AD's did not spend time worrying about the trivial while ignoring the big picture, and neither do AD's at schools like Texas

You think he doesn't? Duhh... JP has said that we'd build a basketball facility right on Hilton if someone would step forward and write a check.

Our previous AD hardly got out of his office and if you want a definition of a Bureaucrat, he would fit it. I saw BV once in public the whole time he was AD. I've seen JP half a dozen times. He's much more active at getting out and meeting alumni.

Let me ask you a simple question Monty. Are you a National Cyclone Club member?. Are you paying some of the "freight"? I am.

Last edited:

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I think you guys need to quit giving monty a hard time....because this season could be another 2 win season...

The offence was so bad at the spring game, I dont think that offence could beat most conference teams...well 2nd teams!!!!:biglaugh:

Old Monty might just have the last laugh:biglaugh:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I think you guys need to quit giving monty a hard time....because this season could be another 2 win season...

The offence was so bad at the spring game, I dont think that offence could beat most conference teams...well 2nd teams!!!!:biglaugh:

Laughing at our football team? And ripping the team before they ever step on the field?

What a great bunch of fans you guys are. :skeptical:

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames

What is offence?

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
That's the fence you put up when you have a round yard/plot of land, but that's not important right now.

Surely, you can understand that.

I thought maybe it was some newfangled texting/im/message board code for a section of fence, shortened to offence...man I feel like such a monty :embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron