Mathematical Criticism Without a License

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Basically anything that is designed only for use within the company that engineered it, and will not be made available to the public. It's generally referred to as an "industrial exemption".

I believe the trend in recent years has been for state licensing boards to try and do away with industrial exemptions as much as practical, but I think they're still around and in use to some degree as far as I know. Just like licensure in general, it varies from state to state.

It's all I'm saying. If you're not a PE, don't make yourself available to the public as an engineer who can perform professional services.

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
It's all I'm saying. If you're not a PE, don't make yourself available to the public as an engineer who can perform professional services.
Well, yeah...that would be illegal. I think we agree there. You asked for an example of something that was engineered but didn't need to be certified by a licensed engineer, and the industrial exemption is the non-specific answer to that question.

Was the guy in the OP's article providing engineering services to the public? Unless he was going around giving a "professional" opinion to everyone under the guise that he was a licensed engineer, I would argue the answer to that question is "no".

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Well, yeah...that would be illegal. I think we agree there. You asked for an example of something that was engineered but didn't need to be certified by a licensed engineer, and the industrial exemption is the non-specific answer to that question.

Was the guy in the OP's article providing engineering services to the public? Unless he was going around giving a "professional" opinion to everyone under the guise that he was a licensed engineer, I would argue the answer to that question is "no".

While I totally disagree with Oregon here, the value of the PE cannot be understated which it has been in this thread. You mention industrial exemption and what I'm saying is that everything which is engineered for public consumption ultimately must come under professional scrutiny. There is no public exemption. So, you can call yourself an engineer because your company says you are one but at some point down the line some person outside your office is going to want a signature or a stamp.

• Agree
Reactions: DeftOne

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
While I totally disagree with Oregon here, the value of the PE cannot be understated which it has been in this thread. You mention industrial exemption and what I'm saying is that everything which is engineered for public consumption ultimately must come under professional scrutiny. There is no public exemption. So, you can call yourself an engineer because your company says you are one but at some point down the line some person outside your office is going to want a signature or a stamp.
I totally agree, 100%. It wasn't my intention to diminish the value of professional engineering licensure. I'm a PE myself, so understand the importance and necessity of it first hand.

Reactions: weR138

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
An engineering degree is just that, a degree. No one w/o a PE should call themselves an engineer. Just like getting a J.D. doesn't make one a lawyer, passing the Bar does that...

Sorry for getting off on a tangent.

One can deliver certification artifiacts to a certification authority to have one's work certified without having any special license. And depending on the field, those individuals are very often hired - even as private contractors - without special certification outside of their degree and prior experience.

So, what title would you like to give those individuals if they can't be called engineers? You are applying the "engineer" title specifically to individuals who certify work. In many areas of engineering, those individuals do nothing more than validate process and do not make any technical judgment on the validity of the work.

And in many areas of engineering, a PE in the applicable field is meaningless in being able to certify a product. I think you are applying your PE standard for the definition of an engineer in a very simplified view based on a specific engineering field.

Last edited:

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
One can deliver certification artifiacts to a certification authority to have one's work certified without having any special license. And depending on the field, those individuals are very often hired - even as private contractors - without special certification outside of their degree and prior experience.

So, what title would you like to give those individuals if they can't be called engineers? You are applying the "engineer" title specifically to individuals who certify work. In many areas of engineering, those individuals do nothing more than validate process and do not make any technical judgment on the validity of the work.

And in many areas of engineering, a PE in the applicable field is meaningless in being able to certify a product. I think you are applying your PE standard for the definition of an engineer in a very simplified view based on a specific engineering field.

And I think your use of engineer is overly broad. What you and others are describing are designers, not engineers.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ozclone

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
And I think your use of engineer is overly broad. What you and others are describing are designers, not engineers.

And I'd say that term completely ignores the "build" aspect of engineering. Many are involved in refining the build of product and are not active in design.

Your definition is too black and white especially when you use the PE standard which is very meaningless in many fields.

But whatever, we are arguing vocabulary at this point.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron