Masoli case/decision similar to Royce?

asmosis

Jul 6, 2010
Minneapolis
Hearing the news that Masoli has been turned down for the transfer waiver really doesn't sound good for the upcoming decision for Royce White. The cases are similar - athlete sits for a whole season at one school because of suspension and then upon transferring to another school, tries to get a transfer waiver. I know the NCAA looks at cases on an individual basis, but the decision does not look good, IMO.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So why did he get denied? Was he not smart enough to check whether Oregon offered Parks and Rec as a graduate program? (not sure why that should ever be a graduate program, maybe I'm missing something).

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
No, Masoli didn't graduate. You don't need a waiver if you have graduated.

Masoli did graduate. The reason the waiver was denied was because Oregon meant to suspend him for the year, and his going to Ole Miss means that he is subverting punishment.

asmosis

Jul 6, 2010
Minneapolis
Masoli did graduate. The reason the waiver was denied was because Oregon meant to suspend him for the year, and his going to Ole Miss means that he is subverting punishment.

That's right. I read the articles wrong about his being suspended for a whole year. I assumed it was last year... not this upcoming year. I can definitely see why the waiver was denied now. Not really a big similarity to Royce's situation I guess.

Thanks for correcting me, fellas.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
Per the video in this link, ESPN reports the NCAA cited a rule within the student-athlete transfer rules which require any transferring student-athlete that was dismissed from his previous team to sit out a year before becoming eligible to play regardless of any mitigating circumstances.
I fully expect Royce White to play his first games as a Cyclone in the 2011/2012 season, and everyone else in this forum should too.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron