Maryland must pay $52 million to ACC for joining Big 10

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Re: Marlyand must pay $52 million to for joining Big 10

Don't know about the legal stuff, but didn't the Big 12 pay half of WVU's $20 million exit fee?

If you really want the team, it would be the smart thing to do. Basically like giving them a loan for the money. That way their AD can stay afloat without socking over all that money all at once. They only get partial payout from the league then for the next 5 years or so. Not sure how it exactly works, but I thought I read somewhere that's what the Big 12 did for WVU.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
The ruling was that the Court allowed the lawsuit to proceed...not that Maryland owes the $52 million (yet).

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Re: Marlyand must pay $52 million to for joining Big 10

Don't remember...

But on the legal stuff...(for the lawyers out there) couldn't Maryland tell the ACC to **** off and send this to Federal court?

No. You can contest jurisdiction but not after you get a judgment. Also, I don't see any federal issues here.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
I have a question for CF legal counsel;

Is arbitration an option for Maryland & the ACC or is the amount ~$50 million a win or lose proposition now? Is Maryland's only hope (to NOT pay the ACC $50 million) winning their appeal?

Also, is the B1G paying for this?
No for exit fees (or any contractual fee intended to mitigate loss) the standard is that the fee should not exceed the actual loss incurred which is why most figured the entire 52 million wouldnt hold up as Louisville is really just as valuable to the acc so the costs would actually be more in line with fixed actual costs like reprinting crap transitioning louisville etc. So it is very possible this will happen at a next level appeal and the actual fees are much less. Would be interesting to read the ruling though.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
No. You can contest jurisdiction but not after you get a judgment. Also, I don't see any federal issues here.

But Maryland did file suit in the state of Maryland. I believe that was for excessive penalties or whatever legal term that would be. From what I could gather, it appeared they were filing a separate suit to get back the money that the ACC is saying is owed.

Either way, there still is the discovery phase left in this trial. From reports, the ACC doesn't distribute copies of TV contracts and such to its members to avoid sunshine laws. This has sparked a lot of controversy about the deals that were made. I assume it would take Maryland about 2 seconds to request those. Then we'll see how far the ACC really wants to take this.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Decided by a North Carolina court. Obviously no conflicts of issue there.

And the $52 mil and change is an exit fee. Unless Maryland is forfeiting their TV dollars on top of the exit fee this has nothing to do with GoR.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I never understood how say Nebraska could vote in favor of an exit fee, and then pay less than they voted in favor of.

Now Maryland voted against moving their exit fee from 20 to 50 million. So I can see how they could argue for something in between, but it would seem completely insane for them to pay less than the 20 million they voted in favor of.

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
Not sure if the B1G is helping them with the fee per se, but the B1G is giving Maryland additional "travel expense" monies on top of conference revenue because of how far away they are from the rest of the league. Plus they are getting a bigger share of revenues up front than what Nebraska got because their financials are a complete mess.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Not sure if the B1G is helping them with the fee per se, but the B1G is giving Maryland additional "travel expense" monies on top of conference revenue because of how far away they are from the rest of the league. Plus they are getting a bigger share of revenues up front than what Nebraska got because their financials are a complete mess.

I bet Nebraska hates that because they demand everyone in a conference be treated equally...well except for their entire Big 12 history...but other than that they are some even steven bug eaters.