Maryland/Iowa...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
He's a tireless recruiter?

Yea. Do you not remember the Todd Lickliter years? Hiring him to take over after Alford was a disaster and did a lot of damage to the program. I don't think Alford did a great job of recruiting either, especially towards the end of his tenure in Iowa City.

His downfall recruiting-wise is not getting a top notch PG. He's still picked up some fairly good players and upgraded the roster. He's pulled quite a few 4 star recruits but needs to do a better job of recruiting for need, not just length. Point guard being an obvious issue.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Yea. Do you not remember the Todd Lickliter years? Hiring him to take over after Alford was a disaster and did a lot of damage to the program. I don't think Alford did a great job of recruiting either, especially towards the end of his tenure in Iowa City.

His downfall recruiting-wise is not getting a top notch PG. He's still picked up some fairly good players and upgraded the roster. He's pulled quite a few 4 star recruits but needs to do a better job of recruiting for need, not just length. Point guard being an obvious issue.

I just had in my head that a tireless recruiter would recruit better.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Not this crap again. Let it alone. Do you remember Larry E & the Co-ed fiasco which led to Wayne Morgan (Bruce VDV was our pathetic AD too), which culminated in McDoormat? How was the national perception of Iowa State at that point?! JP was able to make 2 great hires since that time. Fred got the program going in YEAR 2 - despite the adversity he inherited! Fran has made the tourney a couple of times, but hasn't been able to achieve consistency & it is NOT because of Lick!!
I am still not convinced he is a good recruiter. His best recruit so far was Uthoff (lifetime Hok fan whose GF went to EIU). Who of Fran's recruits has played consistently in the NBA? If you look at Fred and Prohm - there are a number of guys they have gotten to the NBA (Nader, Burton, Morris, Niang, Naz, and Payne and Caanan, too). Pretty good list of recruits & development of those recruits by the ISU coaches.

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
For the last time, while Fran didn't have to recruit Uthoff, his gf went to Wisconsin where they met. She later joined him at Iowa.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
Not this crap again. Let it alone. Do you remember Larry E & the Co-ed fiasco which led to Wayne Morgan (Bruce VDV was our pathetic AD too), which culminated in McDoormat? How was the national perception of Iowa State at that point?! JP was able to make 2 great hires since that time. Fred got the program going in YEAR 2 - despite the adversity he inherited! Fran has made the tourney a couple of times, but hasn't been able to achieve consistency & it is NOT because of Lick!!
I am still not convinced he is a good recruiter. His best recruit so far was Uthoff (lifetime Hok fan whose GF went to EIU). Who of Fran's recruits has played consistently in the NBA? If you look at Fred and Prohm - there are a number of guys they have gotten to the NBA (Nader, Burton, Morris, Niang, Naz, and Payne and Caanan, too). Pretty good list of recruits & development of those recruits by the ISU coaches.

You might want to re-read my previous posts. I also said "tireless" and I believe I'm right about Lickliter and the previous fallout from the Alford years. Anyways, Uthoff was originally a UW recruit that transferred in. Fran didn't recruit him out of HS. Iowa doesn't really dabble in transfers and JUCOs all that much either, but I'd say guys like Garza, Cook and Weiskamp were pretty highly regarded coming out of HS. His two 4 star rated sons were highly rated, but that's not a tough recruiting sell. Marble was a Fran recruit that made an NBA roster (2 seasons). Aaron White was a pretty good recruit and panned out well and has carved out a pretty decent career in Europe. Adam Woodbury and Mike Gesell were pretty two good catches a few years back. Jok is in the NBA "G" league like Montee Morris

As for ISU, Nader originally went to Northern Illinois and transferred in, Burton originally signed with Marquette along with Jameel McKay. Babb was originally at Arkansas. Morris & Niang both came to ISU from HS though. Not sure how long they'll play in the NBA, but they'll get a chance to continue. Morris might still be in the "G" league, not 100% sure. Nader might end playing the most NBA games of anyone mentioned in these 2 paragraphs. 7 players from last year's team started their collegiate careers elsewhere including 5 from other 4 year schools. In fact, Since Hoiberg's 1st year in 2010, ISU has brought in 31 transfers (I think) or roughly 4 players a year from other programs.

Last edited:

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
You might want to re-read my previous posts. I also said "tireless" and I believe I'm right about Lickliter and the previous fallout from the Alford years. Anyways, Uthoff was originally a UW recruit that transferred in. Fran didn't recruit him out of HS. Iowa doesn't really dabble in transfers and JUCOs all that much either, but I'd say guys like Garza, Cook and Weiskamp were pretty highly regarded coming out of HS. His two 4 star rated sons were highly rated, but that's not a tough recruiting sell. Marble was a Fran recruit that made an NBA roster (2 seasons). Aaron White was a pretty good recruit and panned out well and has carved out a pretty decent career in Europe. Adam Woodbury and Mike Gesell were pretty two good catches a few years back. Jok is in the NBA "G" league like Montee Morris

As for ISU, Nader originally went to Northern Illinois and transferred in, Burton originally signed with Marquette along with Jameel McKay. Babb was originally at Arkansas. Morris & Niang both came to ISU from HS though. Not sure how long they'll play in the NBA, but they'll get a chance to continue. Morris might still be in the "G" league, not 100% sure. Nader might end playing the most NBA games of anyone mentioned in these 2 paragraphs. 7 players from last year's team started their collegiate careers elsewhere including 5 from other 4 year schools. In fact, Since Hoiberg's 1st year in 2010, ISU has brought in 31 transfers (I think) or roughly 4 players a year from other programs.

Niang, Morris and Nader have all full NBA contracts and aren’t in the G league anymore. Burton and Naz are two way contracts. At least know your **** before posting.

Meanwhile, zero hawks are in the NBA. And diddling around the g league and Europe only.

Also Marble wasn’t a Fran recruit lol

Fran isn’t a tireless recruiter, he’s actually rather lazy imo.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: ATCy

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Connor wasn't highly rated. He wasn't even a top 150 recruit. Also Marble was a Lickliter recruit

• Agree
Reactions: MartinCy

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Kind of a silly question to ask in October. I'd wait until January. Iowa still has to play on the road at Penn State and then have remaining games with Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois and Nebraska as well. Iowa lost to three of those teams last year. It appears Purdue finally figured out that Blough should be their starting QB. Not sure why they didn't early on in the year but then again their current backup was the MVP of their bowl win last year vs Arizona. I think Northwestern and Purdue were going through some early season teething troubles, especially on defense. Who knows? Both teams have excellent QBs but suspect defenses.
b5acb7b819a1568fc9ba2deee6deb5e0.gif

Reactions: GTO and CyTwins

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Holy cow! Thanks for all the Hawk obsession here! I literally missed hundreds of posts about the Iowa Hawkeyes just yesterday alone. Can someone give me a quick synopsis of what I missed? Was there anything new or groundbreaking or did ISU fans just cover the same obsessed bases as always?

-Nate Stanley is fat
-Basic Stanley obsession really
-Penn St. is overrated
-B1G sucks
-ISU would beat Iowa in a rematch today
-ISU would be 5-2 if it weren't for lightning
-@jp4cy being Twins slappy

Hopefully something new was discussed yesterday by all those obsessed with the Hawks that post here (I am self admittedly obsessed with the Hawks).

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
What the heck? Basketball posts in a football thread? Wow you guys really went off the rails yesterday.