Marty Tirrell arrested on fraud charges

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Professionalism. Same with CW. Listen to his podcasts especially FAW when stuff like this comes up and how quickly CW tries to move on.

I suspect the difference is that Matt Perrault and Travis Justice aren't headed to prison. It's safe to burn bridges now that MT is officially out of the game. If Murph and Andy or anyone else has an axe to grind with Tirell, now's the time to do it because there's nothing he can do to retaliate.

And I haven't listened to what they had to say this afternoon yet, but maybe they felt compelled to defend their business and protect their own brand. Tirrell gave radio contractors a bad name and I wouldn't blame them for wanting to make sure that they distance themselves from him as much as possible.

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Yeh, I know a dentist friend that got taken by Marty and no, he is not "the" dentist.

I was tempted to call in and point out the infamous dentist story about how Marty was so confident that Jay Norvell was going to be the next ISU FB coach. Go back and listen to the first hour podcast and that story makes more sense now after some of the stuff Murph shared. Keith basically said he became a better broadcaster after witnessing some of the crap Marty would pull just to get attention and listeners. He told a story about how he was at some bar in Boston that Marty was broadcasting from at the time and he went to commercial break and Marty leaned over and said "watch this when I come back from break I'll get the phone lines lit up with what I am about to say." He then made some crazy claim something about the Red Sox were horrible and wouldn't make the playoffs and the phone lines were just jammed minutes later. Basically his stick was saying crazy stuff even if he didn't believe it himself just to get people riled up and get calls and ratings.

Keith also shared 2 stories, 1 was a time Marty invited a bunch of them out for a weekend at an expensive resort that he said he would pay for and when they checked out they all got stiffed with the bills because the resort knew nothing of it and Marty had lied to them and claimed it was "an accounting error." Another time he invited them out to a family event of Marty's and Keith said they all had a great time then days later he was bad mouthing Keith and Andy on the air about what happened at that. Keith ran into him later and asked him why he did that when what he was saying wasn't true and he basically gave him some lame excuse how it was just radio talk. Sounds like eventually Keith had enough and realized how two-faced Marty was. The first half hour of the show today was really interesting.

I'm sure as more of his victims come out with their stories it will just show what a shyster he was and how many lives and businesses he negatively impacted. Glad the scumbag will finally have to pay the price for his years of screwing over good people.

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp and Cycsk

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
So I’m guessing he’s looking at probably spending the rest of his life in prison. The feds don’t **** around usually.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
This makes no sense to me. Why would anyone agree to this type of package? This small business couldn’t survive losing 11 grand. But they thought it was a good idea to buy $5000 sponsorship of a fight and 10 grand for a ticket selling scheme? Sounds like Marty was good at finding suckers.

I saw on Facebook that Keith Murphy was going to have a reporter interview this dude....so maybe we'll find out.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
So I’m guessing he’s looking at probably spending the rest of his life in prison. The feds don’t **** around usually.

Six counts of fraud according to the indictment. A quick google search says:

Mail Fraud - Up to five years
Bank Fraud (two counts) - anywhere from 5-30 years for each charge depending on the severity of the offense
Access Device Fraud - 10-15 years?
Wire Fraud (two counts) - up to thirty years for each charge

So yeah, long time.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
...so Travis Justice? Minimal sports knowledge but allow to get people riled up by saying stupid ****.

Probably back in 2008 or 2009 I emailed his show and asked why he had a complete lack of sports knowledge on the subjects he was talking about. Him and his buddy Fisher at the time got so triggered they read my letter over the air, funny stuff.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I was tempted to call in and point out the infamous dentist story about how Marty was so confident that Jay Norvell was going to be the next ISU FB coach. Go back and listen to the first hour podcast and that story makes more sense now after some of the stuff Murph shared. Keith basically said he became a better broadcaster after witnessing some of the crap Marty would pull just to get attention and listeners. He told a story about how he was at some bar in Boston that Marty was broadcasting from at the time and he went to commercial break and Marty leaned over and said "watch this when I come back from break I'll get the phone lines lit up with what I am about to say." He then made some crazy claim something about the Red Sox were horrible and wouldn't make the playoffs and the phone lines were just jammed minutes later. Basically his stick was saying crazy stuff even if he didn't believe it himself just to get people riled up and get calls and ratings.

Keith also shared 2 stories, 1 was a time Marty invited a bunch of them out for a weekend at an expensive resort that he said he would pay for and when they checked out they all got stiffed with the bills because the resort knew nothing of it and Marty had lied to them and claimed it was "an accounting error." Another time he invited them out to a family event of Marty's and Keith said they all had a great time then days later he was bad mouthing Keith and Andy on the air about what happened at that. Keith ran into him later and asked him why he did that when what he was saying wasn't true and he basically gave him some lame excuse how it was just radio talk. Sounds like eventually Keith had enough and realized how two-faced Marty was. The first half hour of the show today was really interesting.

I'm sure as more of his victims come out with their stories it will just show what a shyster he was and how many lives and businesses he negatively impacted. Glad the scumbag will finally have to pay the price for his years of screwing over good people.
Stephen A. Smith/Skip Bayless 1.0.
Marty was a trailblazer!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Every year he would go to the Masters in Augusta and other big, expensive high profile sporting events. Always wondered how he could finance those trips.

I just figured he gambled a lot of the money away.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
He might have had a gambling problem but sounds like he definitely had a ticket brokering scam problem.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
He denied that it went down that way. His reasoning was that he had enough clout to pick who he was going to work with, so he picked Heather. It's just that the deal with Marty came up at the same time and he had to make a decision.
Not sure how much I believe that. It's plausible that Heather was just the best of his options at that point.

He said he really regretted leaving KXNO. His original deal with Marty was for them to do a show on 1350. That fell through at the last minute when someone at that station Googled Tirrell and realized what a scumbag he is. Then they were able to get their gig on 1700.

I think Ken is a self important blowhard, but what do you expect if his best buddy is Marty Tirrell. He is a good sports host and does a good interview.

I don't have any problems with Heather. She fits quite well on The Morning Rush because they don't do a lot of hard hitting sports journalism. Travis is a douche though.

This is where I have a big problem with Ken. Not sure how you can want to work with a guy as long as he did and be totally oblivious to what's going on. If people like Murph and Andy knew he was slimy and didn't even work directly with him, imagine the stuff Miller had to have witnessed. I'm guessing Ken will have a few sleepless nights ahead as the Feds start poking around into this. At the very least, you have to think he'll be called to the witness stand.

Last edited:

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Every year he would go to the Masters in Augusta and other big, expensive high profile sporting events. Always wondered how he could finance those trips.

He was freaking everywhere. I remember when after his DSM career was in the dumps he was with ISU at the Sweet 16.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Has Justice ever watched an ISU sporting event? That is why he and Ross made a good pair, they could care less about ISU and had no respect for them.

I don’t know if he watches anything but Creighton and Nebraska sporting events.

Reactions: kingcy