Marty Tirrell arrested on fraud charges

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
Marty's Final 4 seats (for sale, of course):

jail-cell.jpg

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Is he the one who defrauded some big name local people? If so, I'm surprised they didn't shut him down long ago. Or hire a hit man!

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
Is he the one who defrauded some big name local people? If so, I'm surprised they didn't shut him down long ago. Or hire a hit man!

This is what never sat well with me. Almost as if the “big name” local people he defrauded were in on his scheme somehow ... or doing similar things to others. As if Marty had something on these people whereby if they went to authorities, he’d point the finger at them for what they were doing. Maybe, maybe not. Just something I’ve wondered.

• Agree
Reactions: Cydkar

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Did Ken talk about why he has trouble working with women?

He denied that it went down that way. His reasoning was that he had enough clout to pick who he was going to work with, so he picked Heather. It's just that the deal with Marty came up at the same time and he had to make a decision.
Not sure how much I believe that. It's plausible that Heather was just the best of his options at that point.

He said he really regretted leaving KXNO. His original deal with Marty was for them to do a show on 1350. That fell through at the last minute when someone at that station Googled Tirrell and realized what a scumbag he is. Then they were able to get their gig on 1700.

I think Ken is a self important blowhard, but what do you expect if his best buddy is Marty Tirrell. He is a good sports host and does a good interview.

I don't have any problems with Heather. She fits quite well on The Morning Rush because they don't do a lot of hard hitting sports journalism. Travis is a douche though.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Everybody likes to pile on when a good man is down. I heard directly from his barber that all of his actions were honorable and he will be vindicated.

Actually I know a guy that knew he was going to win one of Marty's Super Bowl trips before the season even started.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
He denied that it went down that way. His reasoning was that he had enough clout to pick who he was going to work with, so he picked Heather. It's just that the deal with Marty came up at the same time and he had to make a decision.
Not sure how much I believe that. It's plausible that Heather was just the best of his options at that point.

He said he really regretted leaving KXNO. His original deal with Marty was for them to do a show on 1350. That fell through at the last minute when someone at that station Googled Tirrell and realized what a scumbag he is. Then they were able to get their gig on 1700.

I think Ken is a self important blowhard, but what do you expect if his best buddy is Marty Tirrell. He is a good sports host and does a good interview.

I don't have any problems with Heather. She fits quite well on The Morning Rush because they don't do a lot of hard hitting sports journalism. Travis is a douche though.
Heather and Ross together are pretty good. Travis is bad.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Only that I remember several threads about how much several of them loved him in years past. I was curious what their response would be. Or the Register's article comments.

Of course they loved him, he went out of his way to say bad things about Iowa State. Even when the dirt ball gave the Cyclones a compliment there was always a "yeah but" back hand.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Of course they loved him, he went out of his way to say bad things about Iowa State. Even when the dirt ball gave the Cyclones a compliment there was always a "yeah but" back hand.

Yeah, I remember about 90% of the time I flipped it to 1700 for the Marty and Miller show, it was all hawk talk with some little backhanded jabs at ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I’m just surprised anyone would give him money. He never gave off any type of honest or successful vibe.
I have to be honest. There's plenty of blame on the people who were shafted. It blows my mind how gullible people can be.

• Agree
Reactions: Nihawk and Cycsk

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
It is just amazing that anyone can be that dishonest.

Somewhere along the line I think he tried to straighten up his act….e.g…quit drinking, got married. I think he eventually got divorced and I pretty sure I saw him buying a single at the QT downtown several months ago. I remember being surprised (knowing he’d talked on air about having stopped drinking) and I believe it was in the afternoon so he’d still have had his Mediacom show to do later that day. Disclaimer: I didn’t engage with him at QT to verify it was him, so could have been someone that closely resembled him.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Seems like he used to be big buds with Jerry Crawford. I wonder if he is his defense attorney

• Funny
Reactions: CYdTracked