Marsden has mono

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by CYdTracked, Dec 8, 2006.

1. CYdTracked

CYdTracked Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Male
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    Not sure if this was talked about in another thread but Eric Heft said on Cotlar this morning that Marsden has mono.

2. JCloned

JCloned Active Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Male
    Assistant coach mentioned at beginning of the week. Said they are monitoring his spleen and are hopeful it will no longer be inflamed and they can get him back. Having a daughter who had mono recently if Ross was as drained phyiscally as she was I am surprised he played as well as he did before he was diagnosed. It will take a while to get his strength and stanima back, but I am hopeful that when he does we will see the improvement we were hoping for this year.

3. cycloneworld

cycloneworld Facebook Knows All

Mar 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    NE Oklahoma
    I've had it before and the things I remember are not being able to swallow without crying and sleeping 14 hours per day. It's pretty bad...

4. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    What's with so many players getting mono this year? Wipe down the weight bench when you get off it please.

5. CYdTracked

CYdTracked Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Male
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    I've been diagnosed with mono 2 or 3 times but don't think I ever really had it as I never had any of the symptoms that usually come with it. Once I had a swollen eye that I thought was pinkeye and after going to the eye doctor who said it wasn't and that I had nothing in my eye then my regular doctor did tests and said it was mono and this was just a rare side effect. BS to that one. Then I had a sore throat that I could not shake so I went to student death center at ISU and those idiots tested and said I had mono too. Both times, never was tired or had an enlarged spleen and eventually the annoyances went away without any doctor intervention. Tells you how accurate mono tests can be I guess, just my personal expirience with it. I know that they say mono affects people differently.

6. ISUAlum2002

ISUAlum2002 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Urbandale
    Feel bad for Ross, that's for sure. A tough health issue to deal with. This really hurts the team also, we need the depth. He hasn't been the same offensively, but we need a big body to help out in the lane.

7. bawbie

bawbie Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ross could use a redshirt anyway, I wonder if the coaching staff is giving any thought to doing it this year.

8. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Would he even be eligible for a redshirt? He's already played 89 minutes.

Also, we need the depth, so as soon as he's ready to go I'm sure we'll see him in the lineup.

9. Knownothing

Knownothing Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2006
    There goes the final 4.

10. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    Looks like 3 guards and two forwards will be the ticket for our lineup this year. Inability to attract a dominant big man will secure an off year unfortunately. Brackins can play coming out of the starting gate.

11. cycloneworld

cycloneworld Facebook Knows All

Mar 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    NE Oklahoma
    I don't care who you are...that's funny. :biggrin9gp:

12. bawbie

bawbie Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA

He'd be eligible for a medical redshirt if it means he'd miss most of the rest of the season, since you can play up to 20% of the season. But mono's probably not severe enough to be considered "season ending".

13. cgwarrior33

cgwarrior33 Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Male
    Sales/Logistics
    Norwalk, Iowa
    Ross shoulld not be available for a redshirt. I think you have to play less than 20 minutes and I don't know what the deadline is...

14. HGPuck

HGPuck Guest

The thing to remember about mono is that there are big variations in how bad it is, most people have it at some point in their life and never know it. Hopefully, his is not too bad, I know personaly it was about 2 and a half weeks after I was diagnosed that I got back to playing soccer. But I also played hockey with pneumonia so I might have a tendency to come back too soon.

15. isucy86

isucy86 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2006
    The Medical Redshirt rule stipulates a player can't play in more than 20% of their teams games and none of the games can happen after the midpoint.

Based on that, Marsden could redshirt. However, we need post players so we need Marsden in the lineup ASAP. A redshirt might be good for Marsden, but next year might be the best time with Brackins coming in & Thompson becoming eligible.

16. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    At least he was not a part of that fiasco game last night. Too bad he caught mono like Blythe.

17. ISUChippewa

ISUChippewa Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    I mentioned this in another post, but I think that Marsden's absence has a little bit to do with why we've lost 3 straight. He will not be a Vic Alexander type of scorer and probably won't even be a Jared Homan type of player.

That being said, I think he's our best post defensive player and might be the most fundamentally sound as well. I don't know if ISU would have beaten UNI and Iowa with him in the games, but I don't think Drake's bigs would have played as well either if he had played.