Map of USA labeled by an Aussie who's never been here...

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
They honestly did pretty well just coming up with names of states if they've never been here. If you had me do a similar exercise there I think all I could really label would be Sydney(ish) and circle like the entire middle and label it "the outback", oh and the little island nub at the bottom is Tasmania, which I know because of googling the cartoon character as a kid.
The one that got me is they somehow had heard of Missoula, a random small city in Montana. They had no idea where it was though.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Its mostly just timing.

Eastern US developed earlier, transportation was horse-powered or over-river. Borders mostly followed natural features like rivers and population (that developed along rivers).

The western US and australia developed populations later. Trains (and later cars) were the prime modes of transportation, so they were created more square. And when these states were created, there was relatively little population in them at all, so they were larger (some of the western states, especially CA, would probably be multiple states if created today). Most of Australia, outside of its east coast, is still sparsely populated. There's only 25 million in the whole country, and 80% of those live along the east coast.

Thomas Jefferson had an...interesting plan for what the new states should look like and be named. Definitely more rectangular.

https://bigthink.com/strange-maps/248-friends-polypotamians-countrymen/

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
drawing a map of the states from memory is something I like to do from time to time if I’m bored and have a notebook with me.

If you draw one map of US and it’s horrible, then try a second time, the next one gets so much better.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
When we travel and people ask where we're from, we usually tell them "Iowa - which is pretty much in the middle of the USA".
Our business is global, and we say pretty much the same. Either "3 hours west of Chicago" or "put a pin right in the middle of the USA and that's pretty close.

When people ask what it's like, I usually say rural-farming. But also "great place to live - no crime, traffic, good schools; but you would NEVER come here on vacation". That seems to resonate.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
drawing a map of the states from memory is something I like to do from time to time if I’m bored and have a notebook with me.

If you draw one map of US and it’s horrible, then try a second time, the next one gets so much better.
We had to do that for US history class in HS. Most would draw the outline to get the rough set up. Then the west coast and east coast was somewhat easy. Hit the southern. Most of us had a huge "no man's land" in the middle.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Left Canada is a good name for Alaska.

I appreciated the cameo by the Shetland Islands up in northern New England.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We had to do that for US history class in HS. Most would draw the outline to get the rough set up. Then the west coast and east coast was somewhat easy. Hit the southern. Most of us had a huge "no man's land" in the middle.
I had a Latin American history class in college. On the first day we walked into class and the prof was drawing free hand on the chalk board a map of Central and South America complete with all national borders and capitals. When he got done he said, "That is your midterm." It was a great way to actually learn that info and understand how the nations are related. As a side note he coined a term for people who live in the USA: United Statesians. This is because in the context of this class "Americans" really has a larger meaning.

I have often thought I need to draw a map for Africa but haven't gotten up the gumption to learn it. It is embarrassing how little I know about the countries on our second largest continent (by both area and population).

Reactions: cyclones500

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I had a Latin American history class in college. On the first day we walked into class and the prof was drawing free hand on the chalk board a map of Central and South America complete with all national borders and capitals. When he got done he said, "That is your midterm." It was a great way to actually learn that info and understand how the nations are related. As a side note he coined a term for people who live in the USA: United Statesians. This is because in the context of this class "Americans" really has a larger meaning.

I have often thought I need to draw a map for Africa but haven't gotten up the gumption to learn it. It is embarrassing how little I know about the countries on our second largest continent (by both area and population).
I frequently play Worldle and it amazes me how much of world's borders and names have changed since my elementary school days. I got lucky as I had the big world geography year before the breakup of the Soviet Union and half of eastern Europe subdividing.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I used to have a site where you labeled a blank map and it would correct you when you finished. I got pretty good at it until I could get Africa perfect, now I haven’t done it in five years and I bet I suck at it again.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I frequently play Worldle and it amazes me how much of world's borders and names have changed since my elementary school days. I got lucky as I had the big world geography year before the breakup of the Soviet Union and half of eastern Europe subdividing.

The US is a young culture and a crazy old government.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Honestly, this person did better than I would probably do labeling the six, maby seven states in Australia.

Reactions: BigTurk

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I would do fine with Australia since I was in all the "states" (some are Territories, not states)

But once you get into the countries of central and Eastern Europe forget about it. And most of Africa is he same. Not only new countries but new names for a lot of them. Rhodesia, anyone?

Reactions: cyclones500

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I would do fine with Australia since I was in all the "states" (some are Territories, not states)

But once you get into the countries of central and Eastern Europe forget about it. And most of Africa is he same. Not only new countries but new names for a lot of them. Rhodesia, anyone?
Rhodesia has been Zimbabwe for over 40 years.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

The islands in Asia get weird border-wise as well. I'd like to travel over there sometime but I was told that a man who walks through an airplane door sideways is going to Bangkok.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
When I was in Australia and said I was from Iowa most people had no clue.

If I said Midwest they nodded like at least they felt like it was a word that could mean something directionally.

A couple times I said it was next to the Mississippi River and they automatically assumed it was in the South, because to most people who know about racism know Mississippi is in the South.

Best answer was "3 hours West of Chicago."

That what i'd say. "Close to Chicago" It was easier that way :)

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
The islands in Asia get weird border-wise as well. I'd like to travel over there sometime but I was told that a man who walks through an airplane door sideways is going to Bangkok.
You sure it wasn't that if you walk sideways you're going to bang your c0ck?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
You mean there are times that they aren't?
D8z2u7OrAftGdKUi3uIx-EdxzbM=.gif

Reactions: BCClone