Malik Dime---Indian Hills (reported UW commit)

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Re: Malik Dime---Indian Hills

I just wonder where these guys with a limited offensive game fit into Fred's system. A shot blocker would a great, but our offense is all predicated on speading the floor, mismatches and everyone being a threat. If you throw in a guy that can only rebound and dunk, I just don't know what that does to our flow.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

I just wonder where these guys with a limited offensive game fit into Fred's system. A shot blocker would a great, but our offense is all predicated on speading the floor, mismatches and everyone being a threat. If you throw in a guy that can only rebound and dunk, I just don't know what that does to our flow.

this^
I would like to have a Cato type center to help the defense and for matchup purposes and would welcome the addition of Dime. That said, Fred really hasn't appered to put a priority on this type of player in the past. The starting centers under Fred were Vanderbeken, White and now Niang (with the PF being Ejim). I am sure CFH could tailor his offense to incorportate a true post w/o an outside game but, I am not sure that is what he prefers. Of course Endozie and Percy getting scholarships would be contrary to my thinking, though honestly they really haven't been getting minutes unless there is foul trouble or blowouts.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI

Is Fred still in good with ihcc coach? Not that it matters a ton, but there seemed to be some animosity towards Fred when Amardi left.

We just got Jameel McKay - so I wouldn't assume it's too bad. I thought I recall mentions of Peery still being involved with finding a school for McKay to transfer too.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

I'm pretty sure he was on campus for a visit recently with a couple of other IHCC guys. He would probably be a great replacement for Hogue/Edozie next year and could play with Niang, McKay and Nader for a year. Then as a senior, he would probably start and be a huge factor.

Either way, I love the fact that IHCC is a place that we can tap into with Fred. Having Hogue find this level of success (hopefully McKay too) will probably help us out there going forward.

Are they going somewhere? Or did you mean after next year?

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny

Is Fred still in good with ihcc coach? Not that it matters a ton, but there seemed to be some animosity towards Fred when Amardi left.

As good as it is for ISU to have IHCC close to us for getting recruits to play at ISU, I would think it is a selling point of IHCC to have their kids be so close to ISU.

Now that we are doing better its something both ISU and IHCC can sell.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006

I'm with you. Totally eliminates a part of what we try to do on mismatches offensively. But, Fred could probably find a way to have someone like this facilitate at the high post to open shooters. Whatever Fred says is right.

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012

@ Psiclone Thanks for the link. Wow this guy is a monster seems to be a pretty strong kid around the basket and he does like to finish strong. The mix video shows how he really has an instinct to go after shots defensively too. That would be huge to have an intimidating presence in the middle. A Big 6'10 lefty. This would be a big catch if he signs.

[video=youtube;kUhrFCt2flc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUhrFCt2flc[/video]

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012

@ Psiclone Thanks for the link. Wow this guy is a monster seems to be a pretty strong kid around the basket and he does like to finish strong. The mix video shows how he really has an instinct to go after shots defensively too. That would be huge to have an intimidating presence in the middle. A Big 6'10 lefty. This would be a big catch if he signs. Must have been some grade issues, etc for him to have escaped out of North Carolina.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa

This kid would be a great defensive presence around the basket. Great timing on his blocks and seems fairly physical down low.

I also think people are thinking too much when talking about his offense and how he would fit. Yes he might not be what we have typically had recently, but i think he would be just fine.

Check out the video above and go to the 1:55 mark. Makes the defensive rebound..makes a great outlet pass..runs the floor very well..and gets a put back dunk.

As far as the spacing argument..this guy finishes everything above the rim. The way we space the floor and drive with our guards, he would be a great finisher down low.

Plus...I love the way he dunks the ball haha

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center

@ Psiclone Thanks for the link. Wow this guy is a monster seems to be a pretty strong kid around the basket and he does like to finish strong. The mix video shows how he really has an instinct to go after shots defensively too. That would be huge to have an intimidating presence in the middle. A Big 6'10 lefty. This would be a big catch if he signs. Must have been some grade issues, etc for him to have escaped out of North Carolina.

Yeah....I think he would fit in perfectly here

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011

Interested by the buzz for Dime at 6'9". Not to take anything away from Malik, but you guys realize that IHCC freshman Akolda Manyang is 7', right?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

I just wonder where these guys with a limited offensive game fit into Fred's system. A shot blocker would a great, but our offense is all predicated on spreading the floor, mismatches and everyone being a threat. If you throw in a guy that can only rebound and dunk, I just don't know what that does to our flow.
I have this strange feeling that Fred would find a use for him...

Let's see. Shot blacks and rebounds that abruptly end the opposing team's offensive flow. Yep, I'm pretty sure that Fred could find a use for that...

I wonder if he was a qualifier out of high school. Perhaps could enroll as a soph?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

This kid would be a great defensive presence around the basket. Great timing on his blocks and seems fairly physical down low.

I also think people are thinking too much when talking about his offense and how he would fit. Yes he might not be what we have typically had recently, but i think he would be just fine.

Check out the video above and go to the 1:55 mark. Makes the defensive rebound..makes a great outlet pass..runs the floor very well..and gets a put back dunk.

As far as the spacing argument..this guy finishes everything above the rim. The way we space the floor and drive with our guards, he would be a great finisher down low.

Well, it is a highlight tape.

All three of IHCC 2015 posts can do some things. I hope they get up to Ames often for some scrimmages (evaluations)

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007

I have this strange feeling that Fred would find a use for him...

Let's see. Shot blacks and rebounds that abruptly end the opposing team's offensive flow. Yep, I'm pretty sure that Fred could find a use for that...

I wonder if he was a qualifier out of high school. Perhaps could enroll as a soph?

aww-thats-racist.jpg

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006

I agree. Fred's recent video statement re: having a shot blocker in McKay for the first time indicates that Fred sees value in a player with this ability. It will be interesting to see if they pursue Dime.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron