Major League Soccer expansion

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
MLS actually does a pretty good job of getting people to games in the home markets. TV coverage does leave something to desire, but I think they renegotiate TV rights next year--and given the investment that NBC has shown in the Premier league next year, MLS might be able to hit it big with someone like ABC/ESPN or Fox, if they're looking to compete for those viewers.

I suppose we shall see. I'm of the opinion that in 10 years, soccer could see a huge boom in coverage and popularity. I certainly hope so, but I guess we won't know until it happens.

ESPN and Fox tried to combine powers to take the Premier League from NBC but NBC still outbid the duo. It would not surprise me to see a big jump in coverage for the MLS if ESPN/Fox want any of the ever expanding market.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
ESPN and Fox tried to combine powers to take the Premier League from NBC but NBC still outbid the duo. It would not surprise me to see a big jump in coverage for the MLS if ESPN/Fox want any of the ever expanding market.

One thing to remember with this is the national teams are included in these negotiations. If the popularity of the US team rises with this coming world cup, that contract might be really big. Just think of TV 10 years ago, could you even find a USMNT match on it? Now they are regularly on ESPN. I look for a bitter battle between all the networks for the MLS, live content it king. Not saying they are going to get NFL money, but they might catch or pass the NHL.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I believe that there are a ton of kids playing it. It's relatively cheap which means you can have tons of teams.

However I don't think you see the same kind of investments being made as the kids get older. Parents pay a crap ton of money on football camp, gear, baseball club leagues, softball leagues, basketball camps and AAU. At least at the high school level and beyond, I think soccer is WAY behind.

Soccer is a fun and relatively easy sport for young kids to grasp (even though I sucked at it because I was "husky"). The sport as a whole job has done very well with youth, even taking a lot of emphasis away from little league baseball. But as far as popularity and importance to all of America, football is king.

I think we're about one generation away from concussion moms being a real factor in what sports kids get steered toward at a high school level, and then I could potentially see that changing.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
The chicago fire games I've been to have been really fun. Soccer is definitely growing in popularity.

I have been to a Fire game in Chicago too, it was fun.

People in Des Moines area or anywhere close to KC for that matter need to make the drive to a Sporting KC game. It's a wonderful atmosphere/Park.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I think we're about one generation away from concussion moms being a real factor in what sports kids get steered toward at a high school level, and then I could potentially see that changing.
Good point. I like football, but you can't really blame parents for being leery about their children going through the potential abuses of the sport.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Good point. I like football, but you can't really blame parents for being leery about their children going through the potential abuses of the sport.

And for the really good multi-sport athletes, if you thought your kid had a chance at a basketball or wrestling, etc. scholarship, would you want them to play football or soccer as a fall sport?

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
You've never been to the suburbs, have you?

Don't want to totally derail this thread, but I can't see how the massive collapse of Detroit proper can continue without major ripple effects to the suburbs. Not necessarily saying they couldn't make an MLS franchise work, but if I was looking to invest a couple hundred million to try to get a team going and a stadium built, Detroit wouldn't be near my top 4.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Don't want to totally derail this thread, but I can't see how the massive collapse of Detroit proper can continue without major ripple effects to the suburbs. Not necessarily saying they couldn't make an MLS franchise work, but if I was looking to invest a couple hundred million to try to get a team going and a stadium built, Detroit wouldn't be near my top 4.

But Eminem told me they are back!