Major League Soccer expansion

cycloneinpdx

Jul 10, 2013
Twin Cities

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
Something in Florida (although they may be reluctant after what happened to Tampa), Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Detroit, maybe Baltimore? I feel like the south isn't ready for soccer anytime soon.

cycloneinpdx

Jul 10, 2013
Twin Cities
I've heard rumors that David Beckham wants to put a team in Miami, and Orlando has an established lower-level team with good ownership and a good fanbase. I don't think they would do one without the other. Outside of that, I think it's a crapshoot.

cycloneike001

Dec 14, 2008
Ames
Baltimore brings a big crowd to the USMNT games, I think having a team there would draw good crowds. Beckham talked about bringing a team to Orlando. I think one of the four has to be somewhere around the midwest. Minneapolis, Detroit or maybe Milwaukee. I hope the MLS can really step up their game by the end of the decade. A high level soccer league would be awesome to see.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Wherever there is a large hispanic population, MLS will do well. Soccer is definitely more popular to American kids now, but most of their parents still don't like it. This is pretty evident to me, when I am at my kids' practices and all the parents talk about is, "Wow, anything but soccer, I would have let them play anything, why soccer?"

I think the MLS team here, "The Chicago Quakers (Fire)" do pretty well, but from what I've heard, a good portion of the crowd is hispanic.

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
The Wilf family has rights to an MLS team, so my guess is that once the new Vikings stadium is built, they will be in contention for one of those teams. I'm right there, buying season tickets if that happens! An MLS team in downtown MPLS would be a dream to me.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I don't know much about MLS other than Seattle supports its team the best.

What are biggest "household" teams in MLS? Biggest rivalries?

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Twin Cities for sure. The support of the A league team the Thunder has been outstanding for decades. The old coach, Buzz Lagos, lived right next door to my parents growing up so we'd always get tickets to the games as a child. They were good times.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Something in Florida (although they may be reluctant after what happened to Tampa), Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Detroit, maybe Baltimore? I feel like the south isn't ready for soccer anytime soon.

I feel like Minn would get behind the MLS big time, similar to how Seattle and Portland did with theirs.

I don't know much about MLS other than Seattle supports its team the best.

What are biggest "household" teams in MLS? Biggest rivalries?

LA, New York and Seattle are big names right now. Just read a grantland article about Salt Lake and KC having a budding rivalry and I think Portland and Seattle have a great geographical rivalry.

TRZA

Mar 4, 2009
West Side of Des Moines
I don't really care about which cities get franchises as much as the new teams having terribly awkward and unnatural names. I need something worse than Columbus Crew to feed my appetite.

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
Obviously anything can change, but through my profession I'm fairly ahead of the curve and involved with the inside discussions. Minneapolis, St. Louis, Atlanta and Miami can pretty much pencil in a MLS franchise. And it's happening sooner than 2020.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I thought there was a FIFA rule stating that sanctioned leagues couldn't have more than 20 teams (EPL, La Liga, and Serie A all have 20, Bundesliga has 18). Perhaps we're getting closer to promotion/relegation in MLS.

And, being where I live, I've heard a lot of chatter that Detroit is really angling for one of those new teams.

TRZA

Mar 4, 2009
West Side of Des Moines
The MLS can make itself the best league in North America, and entry point for players from Concacaf Region who want to go to Europe. Its not the talent. Nobody can name more than a handful of players in the league right now anyway. I think the English model of 20 team divisions just isn't big enough for MLS, expansion in inevitable.