Luke Fickell to Wisconsin

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Not good for Cinci and the Big 12. Deal looks like it is done. CMC to Cinci? Hope not.

I'd like to say there no chance anyone is hot after cmc considering the results of this season, but then I remembered chizik

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Not good for Cinci and the Big 12. Deal looks like it is done. CMC to Cinci? Hope not.

If Matt wants to leave, so be it. Whatever he feels is best for him and his family.... go for it.

At this point.... does anyone think we can't go find someone else for $3-4 million a year that can win 1 Big 12 game with this roster?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
At this point.... does anyone think we can't go find someone else for $3-4 million a year that can win 1 Big 12 game with this roster?
Yes, because that's all he's done. It's not like he oversaw the greatest stretch of Iowa State football in modern history or anything. I'm sure finding someone who can replicate his accomplishments will be so easy for 3-4 mil.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
I don’t think Campbell leaves for Cincy. Even if he has interest, I’m not sure they’d be interested in him at this moment in time.

While not good for the BXII, selfishly this could a a be good for ISU. If Cincy is down for a couple years at the start of their BXII tenure it possible blunts the negative impact they have on ISU, both as a loss on ISU’s record and as a strong competitor for ISU’s recruits

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
If Matt wants to leave, so be it. Whatever he feels is best for him and his family.... go for it.

this year sucked, but let's not forget ISU was a play away from winning the big 12 title just 2 years ago. ISU. Historically one of the 25 worst programs in history. I hope we keep cmc for as long as he wants to be here.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Yes, because that's all he's done. It's not like he oversaw the greatest stretch of Iowa State football in modern history or anything. I'm sure finding someone who can replicate his accomplishments will be so easy for 3-4 mil.

I didn't say I want him gone.... just said that if he wants to go to Cincy... so be it.

I've never lost one minute of sleep over the years worried about if Matt was going to leave ISU. If he wants to go, he should go. I don't want a head coach staying here if they don't want to be here. I'd rather have someone that does want to be here over that any day.

Matt has done great things here obviously.... took us to heights we've never been. That's all great. But if it's gotten to a point that he's not passionate about it here anymore and wants to go.... so be it. I don't think Matt is at the level where he's irreplaceable either.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Shocked they didn’t hire Leonhard. The cupboard is pretty thin right now but he at least made them respectable for what they had. This likely makes a lot more sense in a recruiting and attempt to bring a new style to Wisc.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
If Campbell leaves for Cincinnati, I hope Pollard keeps Heacock as the head coach with the understanding he needs to be grooming his long term replacement. Keeping the defensive staff in place will be the biggest thing.
Yes, the guy that was 60-44 at Youngstown and made the playoffs once after Tressel handed him the best IAA program in the country and never beat Mark Farley is definitely the guy I'd hire...

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Our coach is sort of weird. He had a great start at Iowa State but he's always come off as a bit odd to me.
It's a kid he recruited for a long time and has a lot of respect for which he has said multiple times in interviews. I guess I don't find it all that weird, but I didn't see the hug either so who knows.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
this year sucked, but let's not forget ISU was a play away from winning the big 12 title just 2 years ago. ISU. Historically one of the 25 worst programs in history. I hope we keep cmc for as long as he wants to be here.

The bolded part above is my entire point. IF he wants to be here. If he's looking at Cincy... then he doesn't want to be here.... and if that's the case, so be it. I'd rather move on to someone that does want to be here.