Luke Anderson and Marcedus Leech have entered the transfer portal

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Sounds like Marcedus Leech is transferring to Iowa Western.

(According to himself on Snapchat)

Anderson ends up at a pretty solid school while Leech ends up a JUCO. Makes you wonder if academics were an issue for Leech. I still believe he’s talented enough to play at a high major.
I think that may be a realization he still has a lot of development to do in terms of building up strength in his legs and overall size.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

Anderson ends up at a pretty solid school while Leech ends up a JUCO. Makes you wonder if academics were an issue for Leech. I still believe he’s talented enough to play at a high major.

that’s actually really smart for him. It was going to be tough for a D1 school to commit a scholarship to him given his injury past, quick stint at ISU and alleged academic concerns.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

This leads me to believe there is still mutual interest. Not sure why else he’d stay in-state.

• Friendly
Reactions: Hayes30

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006

Wondering if this is a temporary placement based on scholarship matters at the time....

• Disagree
Reactions: CyPunch and Messi

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
People say some stupid things on here about marginal players sometimes.

I get that. People write all sorts of things about all sorts of subjects on here, not just sports.

It just struck me as being a veiled shot towards both Ernst and Leech, which, when lacking context, seems pretty unfair and mean-spirited.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Best of luck to them both. Don't know much basketball wise about IW, only football.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I get that. People write all sorts of things about all sorts of subjects on here, not just sports.

It just struck me as being a veiled shot towards both Ernst and Leech, which, when lacking context, seems pretty unfair and mean-spirited.

I do not think @Artic Zone has animosity towards those players.

I think it is more annoyance with some in our fan base that have that "Iowa's best player is always their backup quarterback" mentality with our teams.

Our coaches are flawed, but they are not stupid. Recruiting misses happen all the time, and sometimes no-names develop in ways you did not anticipate. THT and Griffin had the two highest rankings of our class last year, but Haliburton and Conditt are going to be the two best college (and maybe even professional someday) players for us.

I think the coaching staff is at least bright enough to figure out which of our guys can hang at the Big 12 level. I really doubt there are productive high-major players hiding at the back of our bench that we do not know about. Those guys "play" for Iowa State plenty in practice against our starters. If they had it, Prohm would know about it.

There are guys who have it in practice but cannot get out of their own head during games (we heard Matt Thomas was like this). Coaches generally stick with those guys until they can get it. But I have never heard of a guy -- at the college level, at least -- who was bad in practice who was good in games. Just not how it works.

I suppose that can happen with NBA players, but they are absolute freaks of nature.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames

I think it is more annoyance with some in our fan base that have that "Iowa's best player is always their backup quarterback" mentality with our teams.

Our coaches are flawed, but they are not stupid. Recruiting misses happen all the time, and sometimes no-names develop in ways you did not anticipate. THT and Griffin had the two highest rankings of our class last year, but Haliburton and Conditt are going to be the two best college (and maybe even professional someday) players for us.

I think the coaching staff is at least bright enough to figure out which of our guys can hang at the Big 12 level. I really doubt there are productive high-major players hiding at the back of our bench that we do not know about. Those guys "play" for Iowa State plenty in practice against our starters. If they had it, Prohm would know about it.

There are guys who have it in practice but cannot get out of their own head during games (we heard Matt Thomas was like this). Coaches generally stick with those guys until they can get it. But I have never heard of a guy -- at the college level, at least -- who was bad in practice who was good in games. Just not how it works.

I suppose that can happen with NBA players, but they are absolute freaks of nature.
Players also get better though. Conditt only played 8 minutes per game as a FR and Naz barely played at all. Naz became a Cyclone legend and Conditt is arguably our 2nd best player as a Sophomore. Just think if we had the mindset that those guys weren’t Big 12 level players because of what they did in their Freshman season. I’m not necessarily saying Leech was going to do what those guys did but I’m just saying I don’t think it’s completely fair to say someone doesn’t have it if they can’t see the court right away. Sure, there’s way more examples of players at the end of the bench not being Big 12 level players but sometimes it just takes people longer to develop/be ready to contribute so I don’t think fans should be looked at as stupid if they are high on players that aren’t seeing the court.

Last edited:

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I remember there were dípshíts who said the same thing when Ernst went to IHCC

i imagine Leech will have a similar career. Shoot tho maybe he can put up more than the 1ppg he’s hammering home at Drake.
My apologies. I didn’t wake up this morning with the intention of pissing you or Twins off. I will try to do better from this point forward.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

The stuff with 'under the radar' types doing better is talent vs. being a good fit for what's needed.

Watching that right now with Louisville and Tech. Tech looks like a team where the pieces are starting to fit.

There's plenty of stories out there about NBA/NFL players that fit that 'gamer' mode but yeah, freaks of nature that can simply turn on 'play mode' and do what's needed. Must be nice.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
My apologies. I didn’t wake up this morning with the intention of pissing you or Twins off. I will try to do better from this point forward.

so you are going to start waking up with the intention of pissing them off? Lmao

Help Support Us

Become a patron