Lots of Smoke on New TTU Coach

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Holgerson has done well at WV and TT isn't exactly prime college football magnet so not sure why they would not at least interview him.

Kinda weird to show immediate interest in transferring to another conference school too...usually guys at least get out of the conference for a couple of years before coming back in, right?

Pay closer attention to how the coaches shuffle around the SEC. Those schools are ruthless when it comes to poaching each other.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Sidebar here: If Holgerson leaves WV, is he leaving the cupboard bare? They're obviously losing their star QB, but what about the rest of the roster?

• Agree
Reactions: IceCyIce

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Sidebar here: If Holgerson leaves WV, is he leaving the cupboard bare? They're obviously losing their star QB, but what about the rest of the roster?

Yeah, they offense is going to take a pretty big hit. Grier, Jennings, and Sills are all gone as well as their starting Lt and Rt tackles.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
One of their depth charts that I saw listed 10 seniors. Several were transfer starters as they really had targeted this season to be their year.

This doesn’t account for all the guys that he abandoned and left behind when he had to run for his life at Jack Triice. Hopefully they all made it back to WV by now.

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Probably down to negotiations, but lots of smoke and rumors (from internal TTU) that Matt Wells will be the new head coach.

Rumor also has it that they were going to interview Dana H, today, but the TT AD cancelled the interview.

If correct, consider the fan base completely underwhelmed.

Why are they "underwhelmed"? Who did they want?

Tech is like ISU has been - a middling school in Big 12 (with some high times during Leach), and should expect to be a place for an (a) an alumnus, like Kliff was, or (b) up & coming coach, like ISU with Chizik and Campbell, not a "career capstone" like a Florida, etc. He's clearly got Utah State, not exactly an historic powerhouse, in good shape with high offensive rankings (important for TTU), good conference standing, bowls 5 out of 6 years, ranked most of this year, etc.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
oldtechlineman
He repeatedly said that he was going to search for a nationally recognized coach to lead us back to being an elite program and he offers up a coach that, except for one year, has a horrible won/loss record with the players that he recruited.

Just had a 10 win season in year 6 so those are all his players? 2 total 10 win seasons? I guess you could do worse?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I've never gotten the Dana love. I'd be disappointed as hell if he replaced Bill Snyder.

He's more deserving of 'love' in Lubbock where he has history.

If he was interested and they didnt even interview him over a coach that has losing records 3 of the last 4 seasons and compiled this year's winning season against a slate where he beat one team (iirc) with a winning record and a lot more with abysmal records, that's a terrible decision by TTU's AD.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Yes. I've done business in WV. I've spent time at the Greenbriar. It's one of the most goregous states in the Union and the people are wonderful.
52ca5d7cce8a4.jpeg

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I think the B12 will be in a bit of flux during the upcoming years if:
  • TTU makes a bad hire
  • Holgorsen leaves WVU
  • Kansas is Kansas
  • Snyder leaves KSU- actually they're probably screwed regardless
  • Baylor fails to rebound, which is likely
  • Patterson and Gundy both had tough years in conference. May be temporary as each have continued to recruit well.
  • At some point, does Lincoln Riley leave Oklahoma? Obviously, they'll stay strong
I do believe Herman stays at Texas and they continue to get better. But may be a good time for ISU to be good in a conference that is not as strong top to bottom as it has been.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Yeah, they offense is going to take a pretty big hit. Grier, Jennings, and Sills are all gone as well as their starting Lt and Rt tackles.

I'd love to see us beating WVU at their home and have our fans storm their field.....