lost opportunity

Jaws73

Dec 5, 2011
First all I want you too know I bleed Cardinal and Gold. I have a friend that wrestled at Iowa State and then at Iowa. I should say that he was on team at both Universities. He and Dan Gable are the best of friends. There was supposed to unveil the traveling Trophy on which ever school win's the meet each year.

The trophy is of Coach Gable in his Olympic singlet. It has nether school's color in it and doesn't mention either school. There was supposed to be a ceremony at the start of the dual. It didn't happen. We dropped the ball. My friend and Coach Gable were there and when asked were he was sitting. The response was you will have to sit in upper balcony. You will also have to buy the ticket.

We lost a opportunity to honor one of the greatest wrestlers of all time. Also honor someone that has done more for wrestling in the USA and in the World then anyone else.

He has said what made him was his time at Iowa State. I was at our local YMCA and he was in the locker room. There were several Iowa fans around with schedules from past years at Iowa on there lockers. They were kidding me a bit of all the National Champions they have had and he was responsible for. He piped in and said but it took a Iowa Stater to do it.

I also know that he wanted too stay at Iowa State. But our Athletic department dropped the ball. That is a fact.

It was a chance that Iowa State could have shown some class and honor one of the greatest alum's the University has ever had and maybe ever will have. If anyone doubts what he thinks of the Iowa State. I know he still donates money to the wrestling program and too Iowa State as well.

I know he was called later and said they were sorry that they just forgot it. It's in excusable. I hope Mr. Pollard contacts him and makes a formal apology.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
I'm sorry to hear that. I don't understand what is going on with our wrestling program. I hear it's due to youth but we've been youthful before and not performed as poorly. I'll wait but I hope Pollard isn't as patient as I am.

Regarding the snub to Gabel, he was a freshman when I was a senior. I watched his career bloom the next three years (freshmen couldn't compete on the varsity teams back then) and he was the epitomy of dedication and a good role model. I was devastated when he went to Iowa. At the time we were told an Iowa supporter bought him for big bucks to resurrect the Iowa program. Gabel went on my naughty list at that time. A few years back, I did see him wear his Iowa State letter jacket for some recognition ceremony so I weakened a bit. Accordingly I will now agree that he could/should be recognized and we should not drop the ball.

Help Support Us

Become a patron