Lord of the Rings Universe Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
That was pretty damn cool.

You guys have me excited to see this episode now!!

Positive: I'm on a road trip with my old college buddies for the weekend to go to the ISU vs KU game

Negative: I likely can't watch the new episode until at least Sunday night, and that is assuming I choose to watch it over Andor episode 4

Too many good things.....

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
You guys have me excited to see this episode now!!

Positive: I'm on a road trip with my college buddies for the weekend to go to the ISU vs KU game

Negative: I likely can't watch the new episode until at least Sunday night, and that is assuming I choose to watch it over Andor episode 4

Too many good things.....
Go enjoy Lawrence and drink a beer man! The episode isn't going anywhere. Have fun at the game tomorrow!

Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Finally caught fully up on Rings of Power and I'm really digging this series now. Outside of a slow start, a lot of my fears coming into this series have finally been squashed. Even its lead character, Galadriel, who I found to be wholly unlikable for the first how many episodes, has turned around to be one of my favorite characters now. Outside of Ashoka in the Clone Wars series, this doesn't happen very often for me. Can't wait to see where this thing goes. I'm also a very big visual guy, as I'm all about the best TVs with all the best options and settings, and this series looks nothing short of spectacular and fully on-par with the movies. Props to them.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Finally caught fully up on Rings of Power and I'm really digging this series now. Outside of a slow start, a lot of my fears coming into this series have finally been squashed. Even its lead character, Galadriel, who I found to be wholly unlikable for the first how many episodes, has turned around to be one of my favorite characters now. Outside of Ashoka in the Clone Wars series, this doesn't happen very often for me. Can't wait to see where this thing goes. I'm also a very big visual guy, as I'm all about the best TVs with all the best options and settings, and this series looks nothing short of spectacular and fully on-par with the movies. Props to them.

IMO they are doing a great job. I agree with you on the visuals. They do look very much like the movies and they do a good job with a very LOTR specific painterly style. I like it because it does look like nothing else.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Visually, still a treat. Storywise, it's getting hard to reconcile this with the source material. Also, some of the scenes and story choices have been downright baffling. I'm sorry, but no one should be alive in that village after the last episode. There's suspension of disbelief and then there's that.

And the scene with the apple was stupid on a lot of levels.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Stop trying to reconcile it
Agree. It's a loose compilation of short stories, vague timelines and characters that are barely fleshed out. There are all kinds of gaps that have to be filled to create a somewhat continuous and coherent story. There's no way to make everyone happy with that either. I think the key thing is to get the big events right in the course of the series.

Reactions: jctisu

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Agree. It's a loose compilation of short stories, vague timelines and characters that are barely fleshed out. There are all kinds of gaps that have to be filled to create a somewhat continuous and coherent story. There's no way to make everyone happy with that either. I think the key thing is to get the big events right in the course of the series.
But they haven't really done that. And then, when you start to even look at it as a wholly separate thing, it breaks down and many of the elements would get derided as lazy or poor writing. Like, why is there some secret device that destroys the dam that requires some secret key. And the elf apparently knew about it considering they were manning that tower where it was located for 200 years. And if that key is so important, why in the hell would you just hide it under the floor boards of your last stand building. Get that thing as far away as possible. Oh and that's after they didn't think to check that it was actually still in the wrappings. And that's not to mention that the device is really only effective with the tunnels that were built millennia after the device was built. It's all people doing stupidly illogical things all in an effort to create drama. I don't need my protagonists to be geniuses, just not be so monumentally incompetent at basic things.

If this show wasn't as visually stunning as it was, I'd be holding up Wheel of Time as a better show, and that show has been incredibly disappointing.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
But they haven't really done that. And then, when you start to even look at it as a wholly separate thing, it breaks down and many of the elements would get derided as lazy or poor writing. Like, why is there some secret device that destroys the dam that requires some secret key. And the elf apparently knew about it considering they were manning that tower where it was located for 200 years. And if that key is so important, why in the hell would you just hide it under the floor boards of your last stand building. Get that thing as far away as possible. Oh and that's after they didn't think to check that it was actually still in the wrappings. And that's not to mention that the device is really only effective with the tunnels that were built millennia after the device was built. It's all people doing stupidly illogical things all in an effort to create drama. I don't need my protagonists to be geniuses, just not be so monumentally incompetent at basic things.

If this show wasn't as visually stunning as it was, I'd be holding up Wheel of Time as a better show, and that show has been incredibly disappointing.

Everything you just pointed out largely really bothered me too as I watched.. However, there is enough positives elsewhere to keep me overal happy for the time being. Definitely not a flawless series, but I am liking it.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com

Oh, I agree that there are things that either don't make sense or are not well written. I'm enjoying it nonetheless. Like I said, they have to get the big parts right and I'll forgive them the other stuff.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Everything you just pointed out largely really bothered me too as I watched.. However, there is enough positives elsewhere to keep me overal happy for the time being. Definitely not a flawless series, but I am liking it.
Don't me wrong, I do generally enjoy watching it each week, but when the stupid stacks up, it takes a bit of the shine off the show. No dwarves this week was a huge bummer as they have been the highlight of the show for me. I do know that I am not looking forward to the eventually rift between the elves and dwarves. It probably won't happen this season, but with how they introduced mithril, clearly that will be a major point of contention in the future.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

All of the stuff about the blood sword/key is incredibly dumb. I agree with all of that. Everything else is so well executed and I like the characters a lot so I don't really care.

The Wheel of Time was so monumentally blah I think that's an absurd comparison. Wheel of Time is something that would have passed as a ScyFy show.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
All of the stuff about the blood sword/key is incredibly dumb. I agree with all of that. Everything else is so well executed and I like the characters a lot so I don't really care.

The Wheel of Time was so monumentally blah I think that's an absurd comparison. Wheel of Time is something that would have passed as a ScyFy show.
Yeah, let's create this whole mechanism to flood caverns with water at some indeterminate point in the future when someone finds and uses this special key, and that will create a volcano? Not sure of the point of that entire plot line.

• Agree

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Yeah, let's create this whole mechanism to flood caverns with water at some indeterminate point in the future when someone finds and uses this special key, and that will create a volcano? Not sure of the point of that entire plot line.
I didn't think the key and tunnels were related. There was a key to open the dam, and knowing this, Adar came up with the plan to build the tunnels then use the water to flood the volcano. Still has the plot hole of why did they need the key, they could have just broken the dam some other way.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I didn't think the key and tunnels were related. There was a key to open the dam, and knowing this, Adar came up with the plan to build the tunnels then use the water to flood the volcano. Still has the plot hole of why did they need the key, they could have just broken the dam some other way.

Correct. They just didn't need to do that at all and it was really stupid.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

I've never read the books and I found the Wheel of Time show to be halfway decent

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I've never read the books and I found the Wheel of Time show to be halfway decent

It was halfway decent. I am not particularly interested in halfway decent shows.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
It was halfway decent. I am not particularly interested in halfway decent shows.

If they are in the fantasy genre, I'm generally interested, but who am I kidding? based on my nerd posting history in here, I'm about interested in anything that involves nerd candy.

Reactions: CloneIce