Lord of the Rings Universe Thread

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The thing that bugs me watching this is the same thing that bugs me about a lot of productions, the music is overdone. Sometimes the dialog and great cinematography is way enough to carry a scene. You don't need to add dramatic music behind everything. Or, if you just have to add the music, maybe tone it down. This episodes just struck me as one of those overdoing it. It's like they are stuck with "These sort of scenes have always had music overlays!"

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
This past episode had some good stuff in it, but I found the whole first half of everyone getting their bearings post battle to be way too long and drawn out

• Agree
Reactions: BryceC

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Just did.

Still not sure on the whole "mithril will save the elves" bit. Centuries later, the elves hated the dwarves for delving too deep for mithril and awakening Durin's Bain. Not sure how the two stories sync.

I don't recall the elves hating the dwarves for delving too deep. I think they considered them greedy and the whole thing kind of a shame.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The thing that bugs me watching this is the same thing that bugs me about a lot of productions, the music is overdone. Sometimes the dialog and great cinematography is way enough to carry a scene. You don't need to add dramatic music behind everything. Or, if you just have to add the music, maybe tone it down. This episodes just struck me as one of those overdoing it. It's like they are stuck with "These sort of scenes have always had music overlays!"

I think the series is honestly basically an homage to the Jackson films and those films have a lot of slow-mo and music overlays.

• Disagree
Reactions: JCity

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I don't recall the elves hating the dwarves for delving too deep. I think they considered them greedy and the whole thing kind of a shame.
Perhaps I am reading between the lines, but I am pretty sure that Celeborn said something to that effect to Gimli when they were in Lorien (when discussing Gandalf falling to the balrog).

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Most of the drama of this series continues to be from the characters making incredibly stupid decisions. I'm almost to the point of rooting for Adar and the orcs.

Elendil just heading back to the camp instead of trying to find his queen and son first. Celeborn supposedly missing or dead and it's Galadriel's brother that she's most focused on avenging. Severely wounded guy put on horseback for what's probably a 2 month ride to seek aid. And damn, Harfoots, pick a lane.

Oh, and a leaf waking the Balrog? Ok.

Spectacle is beginning to trump story here. Even I'm running out of ways to defend this series from its more ardent detractors.

Last edited:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

“Had I known that the Dwarves had stirred up this evil in Moria again, I would have forbidden you to pass the northern borders, you and all that went with you. And if it were possible, one would say that at the last Gandalf fell from wisdom into folly, going needlessly into the net of Moria.”

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

“Had I known that the Dwarves had stirred up this evil in Moria again, I would have forbidden you to pass the northern borders, you and all that went with you. And if it were possible, one would say that at the last Gandalf fell from wisdom into folly, going needlessly into the net of Moria.”

I don't get hatred out of that at all.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
The original animosity was over some jewelry relating to the Simalris. But since that is all Simalrillion based, they morphed into the dwarves being greedy for LotR. And in the case of RoP, it will possibly be the refusal to give the elves mithril. However, the only way to get the mithril is to delve too deeply.

So in fact, it may be the dwarves blaming the elves for the downfall of Durin's folk. Durin IV will probably over throw his father and mine the mithril for Elrond, but in the process it will lead to the Balrog destroying Khazad-dum and cause the fracture between the two races.

Last edited:

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Welp...Season 1 finale has come to pass. 2 years(?) to wait now for Season 2. I watched it late last night because I knew the spoilers would be strong today. Any others out there?

I struggled with this one honestly...I had to re-read some passages and letters to get my head around what they did and I'm mostly fine with it now, but the writing on this thing has been by far the biggest disappointment. There have been some cringey lines, but everything else has been pretty enjoyable. Rumor is that Neil Gaiman is doing rewrites for Season 2.

Writers did Galadriel pretty poorly in my opinion with the choice to use her as a foil against revealing Sauron, since she was the most in-tune in the lore. It was always going to be a shock to put a face to Sauron, and I don't think most people realize how difficult that is to overcome, but the script clues have been so obvious throughout the season that I was just getting to the point where I hoped H=S didn't happen for the sake of the showrunners.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Watched a couple of episodes of Rings of Power. Didn't like it. Seemed over done with cheesy music and sassy dialog. Maybe LOTR should be put out to pasture. Just my opinion.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I haven't seen the last episode but I've enjoyed it. It's not my favorite, and there are definitely some dumb choices the characters make, but whatever. I'm not going to take it that seriously. It's still a heck of a lot better than what Jackson did with the Hobbit.

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: JCity and nrg4isu

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I've been an avid LotR fan for a long time and I enjoyed this series. Sure there's some inaccuracies (but less than some would have you believe) and the storyline dragged at points. But overall it's been a fun view into a very different time frame of Middle Earth.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I was really, really looking forward to this one, and I’d say I’m pleased with it, which is a high bar.

I think it was well cast, and while there is some clear departure from the lore, I think they got the big things right. Wish it was one season a year.

At my age talk of a season 2 being two years out is sort of a bummer. Need to check updated actuary tables. ;)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron