Looking back at Hoiberg era

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
It's hard to see a picture like this and swallow the fact that we never made it past the Sweet 16. We had 3 (possibly 4-5) NBA players and a handful more that are successful overseas playing in the same window. The Big 12 tournament wins were awesome but hot-dam there was potential for much more.

upload_2018-7-20_11-33-17.png

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Niang's broken foot...man that was so brutal

Niang's foot and lack of defense. The Kane/Niang foot team was probably our best team overall and best chance for a deep run, so that is just bad luck you can't control.

Being one dimensional (great offense, average at best defense) also makes it harder to string together wins against good teams on a neutral court like that.

The one do-over I wish we had was the first half of Purdue. We shot ourselves in the foot on that one.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Niang's foot and lack of defense. The Kane/Niang foot team was probably our best team overall and best chance for a deep run, so that is just bad luck you can't control.

Being one dimensional (great offense, average at best defense) also makes it harder to string together wins against good teams on a neutral court like that.

The one do-over I wish we had was the first half of Purdue. We shot ourselves in the foot on that one.

I still think, if we get that last rebound on the FT, we win that game

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Can also look back at the beginning of Prohm era too. Hoibergs last year was definitely disappointing end to tourney. I was pretty disappointed with the Purdue loss too. But getting past sweet 16 is hard. Can’t measure all of success on March tourney.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneFan4

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Guys CFH time as coach should be looked at as a great time for ISU. There were some brutal tourney losses but that is the nature of March madness. Fred brought us B12 tourney wins, national relevance and some all time great Cyclone players.

If you want to be disappointed look at the McD tenure.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Guys CFH time as coach should be looked at as a great time for ISU. There were some brutal tourney losses but that is the nature of March madness. Fred brought us B12 tourney wins, national relevance and some all time great Cyclone players.

If you want to be dissapporinted look athe McD tenure.
I refuse to recognize those years, so no. But I agree with the rest of your post :)

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Making the Sweet 16 is really good. The key to getting past it is consistently making the tournament. You never know when your team will catch fire or get a lucky draw a la Baylor.

Indiana has made it past the Sweet 16 one time since 1993, in 2002.

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
I was in Vegas and bet on the clones that day. I drunkenly told myself that it was my fault, while throwing money away at the blackjack table the following 4 hours. It was then I decided I will never bet on an Iowa State sporting event again.
Yes, this was your fault.

• Funny
Reactions: TyCloneHoops