Looking at next year's team and comparing it

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
Maybe KJ should try to get Moore (EIU) to transfer in and fill the 133 class. He might be that upset by sitting on the bench over there?

Dec 6, 2009
This is my realistic view on what the lineup will look like next year.
The 1st name will be who I think the starter will be
125 -Finch, Jones - Hope it's Finch
133 -Cash, Jones - Hope it's a transfer
141 -Goettl, Schlosser - Not sure what to hope for, maybe a transfer
149 -Mayfield, Cozart - Hope its Weatherman
157 -Weatherman, Moreno - Hope its Moreno
165 -Sorenson, Moreno - Hope its Sorenson
174 -Spangler, England - Hope its Spangler
184 -Shafer, Riley - Hope its Ward
197 -Gadsen, Ward, Voelker - Hope its Gadsen
Hwt -Simonson, Gibson,Tennant - Hope its Simonson (Also hope Gibson got his grades up)

I don't know if Weatherman can cut to 149 or he probably would have this year. Ward at 184 would be a stretch as his normal weight is probably 215-225 lbs. He is huge. Gadsen and his father according to these boards has said that he won't cut to 184 again.....(can always go back on this, but if that is true....)
Then the unthinkable, what if someone quits, gets bad grades, etc.
Good start on your wish list though.

Last edited:

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
This is my realistic view on what the lineup will look like next year.
The 1st name will be who I think the starter will be
125 -Finch, Jones - Hope it's Finch
133 -Cash, Jones - Hope it's a transfer
141 -Goettl, Schlosser - Not sure what to hope for, maybe a transfer
149 -Mayfield, Cozart - Hope its Weatherman
157 -Weatherman, Moreno - Hope its Moreno
165 -Sorenson, Moreno - Hope its Sorenson
174 -Spangler, England - Hope its Spangler
184 -Shafer, Riley - Hope its Ward
197 -Gadsen, Ward, Voelker - Hope its Gadsen
Hwt -Simonson, Gibson,Tennant - Hope its Simonson (Also hope Gibson got his grades up)

149 to 174 looks like we have lots to work with, and only Sorenson being a Senior next year at those weights.

Thanks for this synopsis.

I consider myself a fan of the sport probably a little more than a fan of ISU. It makes me sick to say/think this, but unless there is a drastic change, Iowa is going to take us to the woodshed next season. There is not one weight that I would put a good amount of money on us winning. Sorenson vs. St. John would be our best bet and after that, I've got nothing. It is a long time until next season, however.

Also, LOL at anyone who is counting Iowa out this year. Do you not follow the sport much? They are a darkhorse, but based on what I've seen over the past month or so, they are now a legit threat.

crooksie_26

Mar 24, 2006
I hear ya we may not be favored very much in any match next year against iowa, but i think we'll be ultra competitive next year at almost every weight except for 133...And if i had to guess you'll see these young guys grow by leaps and bounds each time out on the mat hopefully peaking at NCAA's where you see a couple if not all challenge for AA status, I'm super excited w/ the talent we have in the room RS'ing right now....Moreno, Finch, Gadsen and Cozart should do fairly well next year, and i can't wait for Spangler to have a whole year to see what he can do...We'll be much improved next year and i think we'll suprise a lot of people....

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I hear ya we may not be favored very much in any match next year against iowa, but i think we'll be ultra competitive next year at almost every weight except for 133...And if i had to guess you'll see these young guys grow by leaps and bounds each time out on the mat hopefully peaking at NCAA's where you see a couple if not all challenge for AA status, I'm super excited w/ the talent we have in the room RS'ing right now....Moreno, Finch, Gadsen and Cozart should do fairly well next year, and i can't wait for Spangler to have a whole year to see what he can do...We'll be much improved next year and i think we'll suprise a lot of people....

I have to think we will be competitive from 149 to 174 and 125. Sorenson, Spangler, and Finch will be tough. Optimistic about Gadsen and Moreno. Weatherman - if he makes 149 I think will be a pleasant surprise.

crooksie_26

Mar 24, 2006
I have to think we will be competitive from 149 to 174 and 125. Sorenson, Spangler, and Finch will be tough. Optimistic about Gadsen and Moreno. Weatherman - if he makes 149 I think will be a pleasant surprise.

I agree w/ you Spangler is super tough kinda wish we'd have room for him right now. I too love Finch the only thing that scares me is his early loss to Terrance Young from UNI at a open tourney this year, but i'm guessing he isn't the same wrestler from that match...Sorenson will be tough at 165 again hopefully challenging for a title i guess a lot of what i'll expect from him next year will hinge on how he performs at NCAA's this year. I think Moreno is going to suprise a lot of people next year especially at 157, and Gadsen should be fine, it may take him a little bit to get used to the strength factor in college but his speed and athleticism should push him through early....

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I agree w/ you Spangler is super tough kinda wish we'd have room for him right now. I too love Finch the only thing that scares me is his early loss to Terrance Young from UNI at a open tourney this year, but i'm guessing he isn't the same wrestler from that match...Sorenson will be tough at 165 again hopefully challenging for a title i guess a lot of what i'll expect from him next year will hinge on how he performs at NCAA's this year. I think Moreno is going to suprise a lot of people next year especially at 157, and Gadsen should be fine, it may take him a little bit to get used to the strength factor in college but his speed and athleticism should push him through early....

Sounds like the cuts are planned Ward to 184, Moreno to 157, Weatherman to 149. If these guys can manage the weight, we could surprise a lot of people. Does anybody know if Gibson and Hunter are still on the team? (Heard about Hunter academic issues right away, but Gibson just heard recently. I think backups might be important when cutting the weight. What's the plan for Mayfield and Cozart?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron