Looking ahead

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
This team will always have a chance if they continue to lock in on D. They will have a few bad nights but they have already surpassed all expectations. I wouldn’t take a game away from their heart right now.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
This scenerio plus going .500 in conference would put us at 21-10 going into KC. Unless we do the absolute bare minimum in conference that should be enough to basically lock up a tournament spot by then. Wild

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Right now Texas...Kansas and Baylor would be the only three I would say our guys may not get. But that was said by 98% of the people before last night. We don't lay an egg (which is what it will be because they aren't better) against Creighton or Iowa this group will be 12-0 and ranked come the Baylor game....in Hilton. And outside of an injury or two.........they will compete for one of the top 4 spots in the conference and will be a single digit seed in the dance. What happened in New York wasn't an accident. You don't take a team with that type of talent on the floor and the bench to the woodshed because "the sun has to shine on a dog's a** sometime". Right now we are looking at a 20+ win team who can compete with anyone. Enjoy!
I want to see us play a really well coached and talented team before I make a judgment. Penny does not have that team playing together. I think Creighton and Iowa will be a good measuring stick for us. I don't know enough about Xavier's coach to know if he's a good coach. McDermott is a good coach, so if we out scheme that man, I will be chugging kool-aid.

Regardless, I am having fun watching this team. Love the energy and passion we are playing with. Otz is getting exactly what he needs from the players to be fully bought in too, results. Play hard, play together, and good things happen!

Cant wait to get back to Hilton! Arkansas Pine Bluff may not be good, but they will test our focus!

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I’m not worried about the team wearing down. They seem to be in excellent shape and have nine men in the rotation. That’s 22 minutes per game each. They can keep up the high level of effort because they have the bodies to do it without much of a drop off going to the bench. This is not like the Hoiberg and Prohm teams that had 6-7 guys in the rotation before a big drop off. Guys like Grill, Jackson, and Kunc aren’t too far behind the starters.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
We should definitely expect to beat Iowa at home. It comes down to Creighton, win that one and we’re undefeated going into conference.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I am typically not a "We absolutely have to beat Iowa guy." but...

I DO NOT want to see Bohannon walk out of Hilton with a W again. We need to beat these guys, so if we do split Creighton and Iowa, give me the Iowa win all day long. Between football and both men's and women's basketball it's time one of them beat the Hawks. It's been a long time.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Complete hypothetical because I realize there's a good chance of a loss against either or both of Creighton and Iowa, both of which have played well... and we're in love with this team now but they did play sloppy against Alabama State before pulling away to win by eight, so stubbing the toe against one of the cupcake opponents is possible... Jackson State is probably at least going to make them work for it...

All that throat clearing aside, however...

What's the team ranked if undefeated going into the Baylor game on New Year's Day?

Anything special that might come from that -- ESPN showing up or something?

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Complete hypothetical because I realize there's a good chance of a loss against either or both of Creighton and Iowa, both of which have played well... and we're in love with this team now but they did play sloppy against Alabama State before pulling away to win by eight, so stubbing the toe against one of the cupcake opponents is possible... Jackson State is probably at least going to make them work for it...

All that throat clearing aside, however...

What's the team ranked if undefeated going into the Baylor game on New Year's Day?

Anything special that might come from that -- ESPN showing up or something?

They beat Creighton and Iowa they should be in the top 15. Don't know if that will be enough for game day' but it will be good enough to pack Hilton even though the students are still on break.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
One big difference last night was after calls, ISU basically just accepted it and regrouped for the next play. Memphis complained and bitched non stop to the refs and each other about stuff. Mentally, our team is much stronger than it’s been for a while.

I noticed that also. Just chalked it up to the level of experience our team has despite not all playing together compared to early season immaturity on Memphis.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
We should definitely expect to beat Iowa at home. It comes down to Creighton, win that one and we’re undefeated going into conference.

Expect 'definitely? I say we have just as good as chance as anyone, but Iowa's offense far surpasses what Memphis was doing out there. My main concern is I think Iowa will play alot of different zones and dare us to hit from outside. So we do need to shoot decent. (I'm also with the guy above who doesn't want to see Bohannon go off and look like the worlds greatest 3 pt. shooter vs. us. )

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Expect 'definitely? I say we have just as good as chance as anyone, but Iowa's offense far surpasses what Memphis was doing out there. My main concern is I think Iowa will play alot of different zones and dare us to hit from outside. So we do need to shoot decent. (I'm also with the guy above who doesn't want to see Bohannon go off and look like the worlds greatest 3 pt. shooter vs. us. )

Iowa has been lighting up some real bad competition. But then there is this...

Memphis-90 NC Central-51
Iowa-86 NC Central-69

Up until they played V. Tech, Memphis was almost doing 90 a game. It is amazing what happens when you play a good defensive team.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Memphis-90 NC Central-51
Iowa-86 NC Central-69

Up until they played V. Tech, Memphis was almost doing 90 a game. It is amazing what happens when you play a good defensive team.

Would be fun to see Bobo melt down a bit from ISU's backcourt harassing him.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Memphis-90 NC Central-51
Iowa-86 NC Central-69

I think a team like Memphis can absolutely overwhelm a low major team athletically while Iowa cannot. Iowa is going to execute offensively MUCH better than Memphis. Clearly Iowa is going to be much worse defensively, but ISU got a lot of early offense off of Memphis TOs and long rebounds. Iowa will be a good offensive team. ISUs D will need to be on, and some shots have to fall.