Looking ahead to next season

Discussion in 'Women's Basketball' started by Royalclone, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Royalclone

Royalclone Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Can't believe how fast Seanna's time went by. Assuming the coaching staff stays the same, hoping the lawsuit does not become a distraction, and there are no additions or subtractions to the retuning roster and signed players, what will the team put on the court next year?

The three B's (Buckley, Bridget, and Burkhall will likely be in the starting lineup. Madison Wise will be tbere too. It could be interesting after that for who gets the start. I always say minutes and who finishes is more important than starting. The length of Bridget and Wise will give BF options for march-ups. Durr could get the early starts because of her experience and if she continues to work and improve, Kristin Scott is more of the true 4 if we need to go long. Tee-Tee offers up a defensive stopper. Will Rae Johnson factor into the backcourt rotation, especially if we go with four guards?

Not sure if Nia gets into the rotation. Hopefully Camber continues to improve and contribute. The player I'd like to see make a huge improvement is Claire Ricketts. That would be a big help inside. If see doesn't she may end up a grad transfer in 2018.

2. ISU40

ISU40 New Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Ames
    Well Buckley has decided to end her career. I'm in shock.

3. CY9008

CY9008 Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Des Moines, IA
    Wow. Didn't expect that Jadda news...Good Luck her anyhow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. kcdc4isu

kcdc4isu Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Male
    retired
    west of dm east of cb
    Right now I see 4 of the 5 who started today being the starters next season as long as none of them get hurt. Will be interesting to see how our juco center fits in at the start. Will be hoping the pre-season is tough enough to give the new additions a test but not so tough we don't have a winning record after it. I too want to see more of Claire next year. I feel we may lose one player but we can live with that if it happens.

5. BenEClone

BenEClone Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Lincoln, Ne
    We've got outstanding scoring in the frosh class. Point Guard is a question mark. Nia can handle the ball and defend. Her scoring is suspect, but we can win games with a Jayce Holloway type of guard.

• Like Like x 1
  6. acoustimac

acoustimac Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Associate Professor
    Lamoni, IA
    Will Durr become the heir apparent at point? She did a decent job at various times this winter.

7. riceville98

riceville98 Active Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Male
    Disabled
    Colfax Iowa
    I think it needs to start with her at point until we know what the young kids can do. If one of them plays well and shows well in practice than we have a good problem. But, ED has earned the right to start there

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. NenoFone

NenoFone Member

Feb 12, 2013
    WDM
    I'm sitting here watching the Spurs and Timberwolves and got to thinking, what is Becky Hammon's status? Would she entertain being a Division 1 women's coach? Three years working with Popp has to count for something.

9. Cyclad

Cyclad Active Member

Apr 12, 2006
    I like her, but does not really have point guard skills. I think we would be in trouble if she is the pg

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. runbikeswim

runbikeswim Active Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Dollars to donuts TeeTee is starting point guard next year unless RJ is ready to go.

11. mwwbbfan

mwwbbfan Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Iowa City, IA
    Saw this morning that Hammon is rumored for the Florida Head Coaching Job. The only whole in her resume is she has no recruiting experience or dealing with NCAA rules. Kind of a Fred H situation without the tie tot he school.

12. riceville98

riceville98 Active Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Male
    Disabled
    Colfax Iowa
    granted, she doesn't have spectacular PG skills but, I think she's the best option we have without knowing the abilities of the young kids. ED can ball handle, distribute and make good decisions with the ball, and shoot (the 3 or maybe even the pull-up jumper. That means she also has to be defended as well. That's the difference between her and TT.

Hope you're wrong because we've got a problem if it's TT. She hasn't shown the offensive ability that I want in a PG

13. acoustimac

acoustimac Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Associate Professor
    Lamoni, IA
    What's fun is that we are all talking about multiple options. That bodes well for the sisters.

• Like Like x 1
  14. runbikeswim

runbikeswim Active Member

Oct 23, 2014
    I agree. I'm excited for next season to be truthful to see the newcomers as well as see how a few others such as Claire, Nia, and Adrianna develop.

If you think about it, we have 4 returning players - TeeTee, Nia, Adrianna, and Claire and 4 neewcomers in Madison, Rae, Bride, and Kristin that will compete for say 90 minutes a game.

That is 11 players to choose from.

Boxter, how good is Johnson and Scott to contribute right away?