Looking Ahead to ASU/Mizzou

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Isn’t COVID essentially a throw away year? I can see why the coaches don’t want to chance anything on year that possibly won’t hurt eligibility.
It does one thing. It proves our practice of automatically redshirting true freshmen is antiquated. It made sense back in the day, but these frosh with National level experience are ready to go when they get to campus these days. Save the redshirt in case they need it due to injury/illness/whatever.

As far as older wrestlers coming back, I don't think you're going to see as much as you may want. 5 years is a lot of time/grind in the room especially for wrestlers who may not be Senior level material. I'd be really shocked if any of Ian, Jarret, Sammy, Marcus or Gannon came back...but I've been wrong before.

Last edited:

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
It does one thing. It proves our practice of automatically redshirting true freshmen is antiquated. It made sense back in the day, but these frosh with National level experience are ready to go when they get to campus these days. Save the redshirt in case they need it due to injury/illness/whatever.
I agree with you, but does ISU have this practice? I'm not sure I've seen anything that says Dresser and co have this default status to redshirt true freshman. They've really only had 1 in their tenure worth starting prior to this year. Dresser has started lots of true freshman over his career if I remember correctly.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
Personally I’ve seen enough of Coleman. It’s a free year. No need to redshirt. Batistas ceiling is much higher. I have no faith Coleman would do much if anything in March. Didn’t he lose to the backup from MO?

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Personally I’ve seen enough of Coleman. It’s a free year. No need to redshirt. Batistas ceiling is much higher. I have no faith Coleman would do much if anything in March. Didn’t he lose to the backup from MO?

he got beat by Wyatt Koeling who was a top 20 guy last year and qualified for NCAAs the year before. Miklus beat Koeling like 4-1 or something his senior year at Iowa State. I expect Marcus to win those matches, and I’m not trying to make excuses for him, but it’s not like he lost to some slouch

• Informative
Reactions: Sturge34 and CyGold

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I agree with you, but does ISU have this practice? I'm not sure I've seen anything that says Dresser and co have this default status to redshirt true freshman. They've really only had 1 in their tenure worth starting prior to this year. Dresser has started lots of true freshman over his career if I remember correctly.
I guess I'm just defaulting back to the talk during Carr's RS year. I thought I remembered Dresser giving the old school reasons about getting acclimated to school/wrestling room etc. I could be mis-remembering. It was definitely a thing during the Jackson & Douglas eras.

Reactions: HitItHard58

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I guess I'm just defaulting back to the talk during Carr's RS year. I thought I remembered Dresser giving the old school reasons about getting acclimated to school/wrestling room etc. I could be mis-remembering. It was definitely a thing during the Jackson & Douglas eras.

I think part of redshirting Carr was also to maximize the Iowa State team potential during his 4 eligible years. We didn't have a very good team his redshirt year, but as Dresser continues to build, we have a better chance at getting a team trophy with RS Jr/Sr Carr than true Jr/Sr Carr.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015

As far as older wrestlers coming back, I don't think you're going to see as much as you may want. 5 years is a lot of time/grind in the room especially for wrestlers who may not be Senior level material. I'd be really shocked if any of Ian, Jarret, Sammy, Marcus or Gannon came back...but I've been wrong before.

I'm going to disagree with you on "proves our practice of automatically redshirting..." Keep in mind that Cael Sanderson wouldn't be the same guy if he would have finished his career with 1 loss. His redshirt preserved that. I'll also predict that David Carr will be better his 5th year vs his first year. There are tons of examples of guys that have won titles in their 5th year of college. Most if not all of those guys didn't win when they were Tr Freshman. I'm in the opinion that the coaches need to coach for the long-view of winning team titles. IF a True Freshman can add to a team to help capture a team title then I'm all for it. Otherwise... let them develop for a year. Obviously Covid changes everything with this approach.

Reactions: csteve

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm going to disagree with you on "proves our practice of automatically redshirting..." Keep in mind that Cael Sanderson wouldn't be the same guy if he would have finished his career with 1 loss. His redshirt preserved that. I'll also predict that David Carr will be better his 5th year vs his first year. There are tons of examples of guys that have won titles in their 5th year of college. Most if not all of those guys didn't win when they were Tr Freshman. I'm in the opinion that the coaches need to coach for the long-view of winning team titles. IF a True Freshman can add to a team to help capture a team title then I'm all for it. Otherwise... let them develop for a year. Obviously Covid changes everything with this approach.
Yeah, the guy who beat Cael his redshirt year was trained to stall well. His HS even preached that style. So once they got a lead they were tough to beat.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
It's fine to disagree. I would just say that I'd consider Cael a 'previous generation' recruit when this was still applicable. Even since that time the JR circuit has grown exponentially. I remember an inter-state tournament 20-some years ago I was at where an undefeated kid from OK took on an undefeated kid from MO and you would have thought it was the match of the century. Guess what, the MO kid went on to a very average D1 career and the OK kid I'm not even sure wrestled in college. Point is, today these kids wrestle matches like that 1/2 dozen times a year if not more. These kids are far more prepared for D1 wrestling than ever before. And for all the 5th year guys who had success, I can name an equal amount who never gave that redshirt year back to the school for whatever reason (quit, transferred, injured, etc.)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron