London Lightning moving on from Royce White

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I've been hearing people make reference to Royce having "one year" in Ames. Didn't he actually have "two years" here? One sitting out and one playing. Both without incident. I think all of us underestimated just how good our coaches were at handling him.
Or...enabling him. There are stories out there.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Had Royce come back for his junior year, then we have...

Lucious
Babb
Clyburn
White
Ejim
---
McGee
Niang

...or something like that.

That team is way more than a #10 seed.

• Dislike
Reactions: Rabbuk

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Had Royce come back for his junior year, then we have...

Lucious
Babb
Clyburn
White
Ejim
---
McGee
Niang

...or something like that.

That team is way more than a #10 seed.

I think you are right, but with the wild card that is Royce I think it is fair to say there is a good chance that team would have been less than the sum of it's parts.

Royce got to be everything on that team out of necessity. That would not have been the case in that next year. I'm not sure he would have handled that all that well, especially given all the hype that would have been surrounding him going in to that season. His ego would have been out of control.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think you are right, but with the wild card that is Royce I think it is fair to say there is a good chance that team would have been less than the sum of it's parts.

Royce got to be everything on that team out of necessity. That would not have been the case in that next year. I'm not sure he would have handled that all that well, especially given all the hype that would have been surrounding him going in to that season. His ego would have been out of control.

Maybe. But distributor/court vision Royce with that many shooters around him...

It would have been a hurricane it would have rained so hard.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Or...enabling him. There are stories out there.

Im sure this has already been discussed but how did ISU get around the flying issue. Did somebody literally drive him everywhere? Seeing how he handles things as an adult my hunch is Fred and staff gave him all his demands just to keep him on track. Enabling aspects of him has to be the only way he was in Ames for 2 issue free years.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Im sure this has already been discussed but how did ISU get around the flying issue. Did somebody literally drive him everywhere? Seeing how he handles things as an adult my hunch is Fred and staff gave him all his demands just to keep him on track. Enabling aspects of him has to be the only way he was in Ames for 2 issue free years.

I think he flew most of the time. I only remember him driving (with family) to the NCAA tournament game. He has said that it wasn't so much about the flying, but trusting that his mental health issues would be respected. In the context of that respect, he seems to have had less anxiety and more willingness to endure things like flying.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I thought the Houston Rockets (and this was relayed to me by a die-hard Rockets fan who hated Royce for being such a jerk and a bust) arranged a plan where he practically never had to fly. That they would essentially rent/buy him a nice, relaxing motor coach with a few dedicated staff and drive him around when they could, minimizing flights to only those circumstances where the coach could not keep up with the jet. That would be pretty accommodating.

It would not shock me if ISU did the same -- might have to fly to Austin or Morgantown, but they/he/an aide could have drove him to Kansas or Missouri.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Despite all of the "Be Well" wishes, Royce doesn't seem like he positions himself in a way to take advantage of any wellness that comes his way. It doesn't seem very honest (what some would call, 'being TRUE to yourself'.) I suppose that is all a part of the disease.

Very sad. I've watched a few of the London Lightening games on internet stream. The Royce I saw there seemed very disengaged aside from only a few times where he would suddenly show up for a very brief few moments. Certainly quite a different player from the guy we witnessed playing for the Cyclones. Not sure how you bottle it up and have it available for all the games of a professional schedule, but when you combine the lackluster play with a big mouth, well that surely spells the end.

Hard telling what overseas BB will do to him. Doubt even an Iowa G League team can invest in him.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I think he flew most of the time. I only remember him driving (with family) to the NCAA tournament game. He has said that it wasn't so much about the flying, but trusting that his mental health issues would be respected. In the context of that respect, he seems to have had less anxiety and more willingness to endure things like flying.

Meanwhile, the reality was (at least my own speculation) that Royce knew he would never get to the pros and get PAID unless he played nice in college. So he sucked it up and flew while in college and kept quiet about it, assuredly with some help from the ISU coaching staff, until he got PAID by the Rockets, and suddenly it was a huge deal that the Rockets and the NBA had to then accommodate his anxiety issues.

And yes, as someone said above, the Rockets offered a posh luxury motor coach and staff to run it to shuttle him around whenever it was feasible to do so. But he would still have to fly to some destinations if they couldn't drive him there in time. It wasn't enough for him for some reason. I think it was something about how the league overall needed to make changes and not just the Rockets working toward accommodating his own issues.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
"I'm one of the best five players on the planet." (Preview clip for next E:60 segment).

Suuuure you are, Royce.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
"I'm one of the best five players on the planet." (Preview clip for next E:60 segment).

Suuuure you are, Royce.

Was just about to post that. That kind of stuff is unfortunately where he loses people.

Wow this story on espn is making Iowa State look really good

Yeah, that was nice to see. Good publicity for the program.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Such an unfortunate story. Had Royce been right mentally, I would have LOVED to see what he could have done in the NBA. Such a unique talent. A point guard in a 6'8" 270 lb body. Not too many of those around.