Local Saw mills - harvesting tree on property

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I recently moved and I have what appears to be a very large white oak on the property that is dead. It appears that it has not been dead too long, so I think there is a good chance the wood is useable. The tree is large, close to 4' diameter at the base of the trunk. It's fairly close to my house, so I am going to take it down. Unless the condition is worse than outward appearances suggest, there would be a lot of value in the wood. Is anyone aware of someone in the area that mills that would be interested in working out an arrangement to take it?

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
If you live in an urban area the odd are slim. Sawmills usually shy away from "town trees" because of the high odds that there will be multiple nails or screws in the tree.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
If you live in an urban area the odd are slim. Sawmills usually shy away from "town trees" because of the high odds that there will be multiple nails or screws in the tree.
Should've clarified, I'm in Ames.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
White oak isn't nearly as valuable as red. You can tell by the leaves - red oak leaves are sharp and pointed whereas white oak leaves are rounded. You probably won't get a lot of interest from a mill guy, because white oak just doesn't move that well. A great deal of it goes into frames for furniture.

• Informative
Reactions: Doc

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
We don't sell white oak logs because it's more valuable as firewood. If we were to sell logs, we'd actually take a loss. Costs more to pick it up than what it's worth.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Doc

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I just got off the phone with a buddy in Tampa. We started talking about the golf courses he manages and he was lamenting the number of trees they had down and how all of the hardwood would likely just get cut up and chipped rather than the wood getting salvaged and used. It really is too bad.

Cyrok

Oct 14, 2009
DSM
I have a walnut tree in my yard that's probably 150' tall. In Minneapolis. It's in decent shape now, but it's in a bad spot hanging over my neighbor's house and garage.
Would it be worth it to try to sell it for lumber?

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I have a walnut tree in my yard that's probably 150' tall. In Minneapolis. It's in decent shape now, but it's in a bad spot hanging over my neighbor's house and garage.
Would it be worth it to try to sell it for lumber?

Depends how big the trunk is. You need at least 12 inches of dark wood (diameter) for it to be worth anything to log buyers. Need to have minimum of straight, 8ft lengths too. Also cannot have nay metal in it. I don't know the average bd/ft price off the top of my head.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
White oak isn't nearly as valuable as red. You can tell by the leaves - red oak leaves are sharp and pointed whereas white oak leaves are rounded. You probably won't get a lot of interest from a mill guy, because white oak just doesn't move that well. A great deal of it goes into frames for furniture.
The places I look currently White oak tends is a bit more expensive. I think the price if the two tend to bounce around one another.
Its hard to tell if it is white or red, as there are only dead leaves remaining in the upper branches.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
On this same topic, I've heard people harvesting Emerald Ash Bore infested trees because the bugs leave a blue hue to the wood which make beautiful tables and such.