Little Cy

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Need help- my daughter was asking what years he was around and why he went away. I don't recall when it was I first noticed him, but it seems like it didn't last long. Was it a younger kid and they thought better about having a kid in the mascot outfit?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Need help- my daughter was asking what years he was around and why he went away. I don't recall when it was I first noticed him, but it seems like it didn't last long. Was it a younger kid and they thought better about having a kid on the mascot outfit?

When did this happen? Did I miss something?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Need help- my daughter was asking what years he was around and why he went away. I don't recall when it was I first noticed him, but it seems like it didn't last long. Was it a younger kid and they thought better about having a kid on the mascot outfit?

The only second mascot I remember was 'Clone'. They hatched him out of an egg during halftime of a basketball game in the late 80's/early 90's. I think it was just an old 'Cy' uniform they decided to use. I don't think it was a kid in it though.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
When the replaced the old stiff Cy the introduced a new Cy and soon after a young "Clone". I'm not sure when it was but I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: it was before they replaced old stiff Cy so they introduced Clone to go along with him. I remember being at a game or midnight madness or something when they did it.

10041470696_60577a887c_z.jpg

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
In 1989, Cy was given a gift during the halftime show of the Oklahoma game. Clone was wrapped up and presented to Cy as a surprise to him and everyone else who was there to witness the historical moment.

It was clear this newest addition was a shock to Cy, and we can only wonder who the mother is.

Cy either had Clone with Susie 23 years after she left him, or he cheated on his wife after her disappearance.

Although Clone’s origin remains a mystery, the father-son duo impressed crowds for years with their complementary routines, and Cy even let Clone take the lead in some events such as away games and alumni events.

In a 1989 article by the Daily, Rod Wilson, former field secretary of the National Cyclone Club, said, “Clone will appear at a larger variety [of] events than Cy was able.”

In a strange turn of events, Cy and Clone were merged into one in 1995 to create the mascot that we now know and love.

• Funny
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
When the replaced the old stiff Cy the introduced a new Cy and soon after a young "Clone". I'm not sure when it was but I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: it was before they replaced old stiff Cy so they introduced Clone to go along with him. I remember being at a game or midnight madness or something when they did it.

10041470696_60577a887c_z.jpg

Back in the '80's. Before color photography apparently.

• Funny
Reactions: Acylum

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Also definitely a college kid in both costumes. Note the gap for the wearer to look out is through the beak in Clone and through the neck in Cy which are both at about the same level in the pic.

Taking that Cy costume up any stairs in Hilton or Trice had to be an adventure. Getting a surrogate to go into the stands was a good idea.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Those were simpler times. The cotton gin had just been invented. Women were learning to read. And Whitesnake was king.
The Cotton Gin

2 oz Old Point Comfort Gin
2 Cucumber slices
1-2 Lime wedges
2 Basil Leaves
Tonic Water

In a shaker, muddle 1 cucumber, 1-2 lime wedges , and 1 basil leaf in the 2 oz of gin. Add Ice and Shake and pour into a rock glass and top off with tonic water. Garnish the glass with the remaining cucumber slice and basil leaf. Enjoy
CottonGIn-812x1024.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and cyhiphopp

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Well my daughter says he still had to be around post 1995. She would only have been 5 years old then. She recalls him being at activities for the Little Cyclones Club when she was older. So I’m still at a loss.

Help Support Us

Become a patron