List of issues that have been present the entire run of CMC

clone1990

Apr 14, 2008
Heacock, Scheelhaase, Caponi, Rasheed, and maybe Broomfield are about all that I'd want back next year. haha

Obviously won't happen. Veidt is OK, but our LBs are trash this year.
Clearly Heacock is a rock star on this staff. His half time adjustments always seem to be solid.

• Agree
Reactions: xboxfever

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Heacock, Scheelhaase, Caponi, Rasheed, and maybe Broomfield are about all that I'd want back next year. haha

Obviously won't happen. Veidt is OK, but our LBs are trash this year.
The LBs this year havent been great but ill give him the benefit of the doubt for a little longer due to Rose and Spears

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

SDClone

Oct 3, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
It all comes down to the guys up front. There has been no development in how many years now for the Oline? Year after year, the Oline has been mediocre at best especially when there is experience there. Montgomery and Hall masked a lot of the Oline issues because they were that good at running the ball and every team had to respect that. This year we don't have that great RB who can make things on their own and its showing. Meyers got put in a spot where he hasn't had any experience coming in. How hard is it to fine a real Oline coach?

Reactions: xboxfever

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Listen to Ben Bruns on Iowa Everywhere. Looks like Kansas ran Cover 4 and dared us to run the ball and we couldn't. He said all they did the whole game was take away deep and seam passes, which they did. Our receivers couldn't get adequate separation.
I've been talking all year about how bad our receivers (absent X) have been at getting any separation at all. I keep getting "Dumbed" on those posts. When you have an O-line that can't protect a young QB and you rarely have open receivers, you're left with very few options. Unfortunately, when you then settle for 3-4 yard crossing routes, you're asking for trouble with 8-10 guys within 5 yards of scrimmage.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I've been talking all year about how bad our receivers (absent X) have been at getting any separation at all. I keep getting "Dumbed" on those posts. When you have an O-line that can't protect a young QB and you rarely have open receivers, you're left with very few options. Unfortunately, when you then settle for 3-4 yard crossing routes, you're asking for trouble with 8-10 guys within 5 yards of scrimmage.

Myers really has to be let go. Many (including myself!) say Manning sucks, but even a mediocre to bad OC can be covered up by great o-line play. Really bad o-line play is a death knell to an offense. It all starts there.

With a good o-line you open up holes for average RBs.

With a good o-line you buy time for average WRs to get open.

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club

O-line isn't great AND our WR's don't get separation.. It's both!

I thought Campbell was turning a page recruiting more shifty and athletic WR's. Yet the 2023 class has 2 guys possession WR's. How you beat a press cover 4 or press zone is to have multiple speed WR's who can separate off the line of scrimmage and beat the DB's to a spot. Throwing deep to slow WR's who are jammed at the line is not getting it done unless you have Hakeem Butler on your roster.

OL recruiting needs to target maulers over 6'6" guys "that project to be good". Also get rid of Myers as the line has been AWFUL with him leading the group.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I like Campbell and I appreciate what he's done for the program. At the same time, boy do I feel like he's left alot of meat on the bone over the course of the last 3 years. So many close losses happening in nearly identical fashion, and apparently very little being done to address that.
This is the most frustrating part. You can see the losses coming during the games. Playing it safe is for underdogs and cowards. I never mind a loss when it is apparent your team is at least playing to win. People forget CMC took over a stacked program where all you had to do was not make mistakes and out-talent your opponents.

Then, Toledo is the Houston of the Midwest. Overlooked talent galore nearby. Get up for your few P5 opponents and then coast.

Cannot wait to see us play KState and try to win in the margins against a team that historically does it better, and isn't afraid to take deep shots or run trick plays.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
TJ you say? Maybe get him to moonlight as special teams coach and help with recruiting.
I wonder what a 36-point performance in Hilton equates to on Jack Trice? Perhaps 2-3 pick sixes?

Seriously, TJ performed a miracle last season. It was great to enjoy basketball in March again with the Wisconsin win being the high mark.

I am going to patiently wait and hope for some more consistent results on both sides of the court before declaring he can coach another sport effectively.

The Cyclone basketball team struggled A LOT when the other team took care of the ball and played serviceable half-court defense.

I am excited to see what can be done with more than a patchwork team left over from the most ineffective coach Iowa State has had in basketball since Ken Trickey. Ken Trickey also went back to the school he started at before coaching ISU like someone we know.

Reactions: ironsam

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
O-line isn't great AND our WR's don't get separation.. It's both
Definitely a combo of both.

We've anticipated Dekkers' potential because he can throw 60 yards flat-footed, but he doesn't get adequate protection and/or nobody is able to get open deep (at least not quickly enough).

I assume these 2-yard routes aren't intended as primary but we've been stuck having to stop-gap.

Hopefully part of this is learning curve for QB and perhaps improving timing w/ receivers (I can't pretend to be OL expert so I don't know what to do there).

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Umm, Campbell literally did the exact same thing at Iowa State. That was probably hard to watch also by some struggling programs.

And in year 2 ISU's defense had not been very good...and then the first game of October they switched how they played and all of the sudden the defense was able to do enough to win in freaking Norman.

It's like things can be adjusted when needed for a better outcome.

Reactions: CoKane

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I was referring to a 5-0 start but ok.
Who cares whether he went 5-0, it was evident in Year 2 he had the program going in the right direction. It's no different than Leoipold, Kansas will still finish in the 8-4, 7-5 range and problby make a Liberty Bowl type game.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
It seems evident that Campbell has a system that works for ISU, that's why we keep winning more than the 3 games a year we were accustomed to. The system produces at a high level compared to our peers and we do win games.

However, a system can be replicated and found elsewhere. Good coaches and staffs have a system and execute it; great coaches and staffs make the changes necessary both at the player and at the staff level to create the best possible opportunity to succeed with the players. Again, Campbell understands this, based on his commentary about players before formations. Campbell and staff have done a good job through the years adjusting scheme some to match the players they have on the field.

That seems to have fallen off some this season with some discomfort offensively, and that was even with them making change -- we typically weren't a pass-first offense in recent years. However, we are still trying to adjust and struggling to execute at a high level. There is still time to find and develop a niche to play in and play well. This is still more or less a transition year, after all.

Where Campbell has struggled is in the staff change department. I am not an advocate of change, I think it often ruins programs to have frequent coaching changes. However, in our case, we have near-zero change year over year and we as fans can easily see similar problems showing up year after year, as well as sense that certain areas haven't meaningfully developed into something better. You could say this about the offense as a whole, but I'm not sure I buy that -- to me, the biggest problem areas by far are basic ST execution and play in the trenches. Both lines are not executing at a high enough level to be disruptive. Now, our defense is still very solid, so that's pretty excusable, but it does seem to me as a casual observer that our DL has trouble staying in lanes and not running themselves out of tackles/plays. LBs are guilty of this as well, but again, it hides well because the rest of the D plays very well.

On the other end, our OL is putrid. Everything in an offense starts at the OL level. Without serviceable OL play, we will not have a serviceable offense. That's it. We've known this for years. At this point, it isn't recruiting or talent -- it's coaching. It's a lack of development. Something has to give for us to reach the next level, because it's evident that we have been plateaued at this current state for a few years now. That give needs to come from the staff side. A reasonable argument for the same thing could be made at the QB level as well -- we have what we have without much development over the following years.

And Special Teams...goodness. Whatever we do now, it's just wrong. Throw it out the window.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
You know the common theme from 2016 to 2022 that has prevented the typical backslide that Iowa State has seen in the past. The coaching staff which has recruited at a higher level and developed players; specifically turning 3 star players into kids that are playing on Sunday.

I joked with another fan in 2018 after the Alamo Bowl. I told him give it five more years and people will be calling for Campbell’s job. He laughed but I explained that fans always want to view success as linear. It doesn’t work that way. And soon that fanbase doesn’t remember 3-9 or 4-8 but only remembers 8-4 and 9-3. All of a sudden 7-5 or 6-6 is a failure. I know the OP isn’t calling for Campbell’s firing but you see the comments on the thread and it sure feels like a couple of 6-6 years will have more people ready to move on. I cannot tell you how important it is for Iowa State to maintain a Top 30-45 program in the next 7-10 years.
Why is it important to maintain a top 30-45 program the next 7-10 years? Realignment? We aren’t getting an SEC or Big 10 invite and we’re not getting booted from the Big 12.