Linkin Park lead singer dead.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Listen to Sirius all day everyday and haven't heard them in forever. I think most younger people wouldn't know who they are but I highly doubt 20% ages 18 to 45 could name a song.

I'm 32 and they were huge when I was 15-20 years old.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Wow, to paraphrase one of their songs I feel numb right now. Just a few months ago he was on the Elvis Duran morning show and the interview was amazing to listen to. Had a truly iconic voice. Depression is a hell of a demon as I fight with it constantly. The one thing I always go to is what the impact of losing the fight would have on my family. Thoughts and Prayers.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Selfish as all hell.
Suicide is a pretty impulsive thing for a lot of people. I lost someone very close to me because they committed suicide; you go through a lot of different things when trying to cope with losing someone like that. While anger is something you go through, you ultimately know they didn't do it to hurt you or others.

I think a lot of people just are not in the right state of mind when they do something like that. Depression is a *****

Reactions: bos

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Listened to them a lot in high school. Not as much the last few years but they still frequent my lifting music. Very sad situation

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Yes, quite a bit. Their last few album each had at least 1 pretty large alternative/pop song end up on new music stations (they've changed their music style over time), and their alt-rock was spammed constantly on new and rock radio in the early 2000's.

I mean, they are a multi-platinum band with >70MM worldwide album sales...

Didn't the original Linkin park front-man leave to form a christian band?

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Didn't the original Linkin park front-man leave to form a christian band?
They had a guy or two leave way, way early in time to form some Christian Rock/Ska thing, but that was before L.P. struck gold. The band as we knew it has basically stayed the same throughout their career.

• Disagree
Reactions: Shawker

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Suicide is a pretty impulsive thing for a lot of people. I lost someone very close to me because they committed suicide; you go through a lot of different things when trying to cope with losing someone like that. While anger is something you go through, you ultimately know they didn't do it to hurt you or others.

I think a lot of people just are not in the right state of mind when they do something like that. Depression is a *****

I agree that cllearly you are not of sound mind when you do something like that, and I know that most do not do something like that to hurt others. But it clearly does hurt others, and that needs to be part of the conversation.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

Having had 1 true depressive event in my life I can echo your last paragraph. Irrational things all appear fairly reasonable when your mind is not quite right. During my event I had some very dark thoughts. And while I never acted on them, it wasn't because I was afraid but only because I never had that true triggering event.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I'm 32 and they were huge when I was 15-20 years old.

28 and same. Hybrid Theory and Meteora were massive hits with Minutes to Midnight slightly behind. The the later stuff was arguably less ubiquitous(New Divide got hideously overplayed on 105.1 though) but being in Transformers certainly ensured they've been heard. Domestic grosses of 320, 400, and 350 million will do that for you.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Selfish as all hell.

That seems like a far too simple and ignorant answer to something so individual and complicated. If someone kills themselves impulsively then clearly they're not of rational mind so just calling them selfish isn't a fair description.

If someone kills themselves after careful planning and thought then that means they've decided their life is not worth living to them. If they are in that much agony to actually follow through it, perhaps from their perspective it would seem selfish of of others to think he/she had to continue to be around.

Either way, something probably is different about their makeup than most and I think calling them selfish is too easy, even if that how it appears to others.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Depression is a *****. Money, fame, success, none of it provides a shield from this. And calling it selfish is beyond simplistic. Once it sets in, you can't just shake it by faking happiness. It's not just you feeling extra sad about something. It's a chemical imbalance that drags you down that dark path and you don't get out of it by sheer force of personality or willpower. You twist yourself in knots convincing yourself that you aren't worth the air you breathe, whether that's because you've been made to feel that way by others around you, or because you feel like you're more of a burden than a blessing for those you love and they'd be better off without you. Those people are still part of the equation, but you don't necessarily see them, or your role in their lives, in the same light as someone who isn't dealing with depression might.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I agree that cllearly you are not of sound mind when you do something like that, and I know that most do not do something like that to hurt others. But it clearly does hurt others, and that needs to be part of the conversation.

It would be the part the conversation in a rational discussion/thought process. But anyone who is at the point where they might commit suicide is not thinking rationally because of the state of mind they're in. That's the problem, and that's why it's so difficult for other people to prevent it from happening, or to understand it when it does happen.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
You can argue suicide is a selfish act, and in many ways it is, but many times its a manifestation of a disease that allows one to think that its the right thing to do, thinking that the burden of the act is less than the burden of being alive for some. Other times its impulsive, again, a symptom of a mind that isn't working correctly.

Reactions: burn587

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Hybrid Theory in my mind is one of my top 5 albums, played the **** out of that. I have a lot of thoughts about this one as it actually effected me, but don't care to get into the suicide/depression/leaving kids debate.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Although I was I big fan of their earlier stuff without Chester, and Fort Minor, dude was great, and could sing a rang of songs.

Not sure if you are trying to be a hipster but they didn't release any album without Chester Bennington. He didn't start the band but they didn't get signed until he came on board. So unless you live in California and followed them through the club scene. They didn't have any earlier stuff with out him.

• Useful
Reactions: GettinMoist

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Not sure if you are trying to be a hipster but they didn't release any album without Chester Bennington. He didn't start the band but they didn't get signed until he came on board. So unless you live in California and followed them through the club scene. They didn't have any earlier stuff with out him.

I'm not a hipster and of a mike shinda fan. and they did release **** before hybrid theory

Help Support Us

Become a patron