Info: Like OMG - Like Feature Feedback Needed

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Hey guys, I'm working on a solution to replace the prior "Like" functionality and need some feedback on the specific aspects of it you liked the most (i.e. just being able to give a like, seeing who else liked a post, seeing the overall stats, etc).

Please take a second to give constructive feedback on how you would like to see it make a comeback.

FYI - The more jokes and non-serious responses I have to wade through in this thread, the less time I have to work on the actual solution:cool:

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
I thought it was a good tool to show someone that they'd made a good post. That's really all I used it for. I never looked at the stats.

Maybe since the company that made that went out of business you could develop a new replacement version, sell it, and make a little extra coin.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
For what it's worth, I liked ( :biglaugh: ) that it enumerated who liked a post. Kind of a public reputation comment.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
Figure out a way to have it work on the mobile site. I am never on a desktop so the like feature is almost always useless. I'm sure plenty of people use the mobile site on a regular (constant) basis.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
What about thumbs up (likes) and thumbs down (dislikes)? *I have seen those options on other sites. Are you planning on doing something like that?

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
It was nice to see which of my posts people generally found interesting or amusing. So number of likes and which posts were liked would be sufficient for me.

And while we're adding/fixing features, I would LOVE to have notifications if someone quoted my post in a response.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
What about thumbs up (likes) and thumbs down (dislikes)? *I have seen those options on other sites. Are you planning on doing something like that?

Downvoting just turns into a popularity contest/******* match. The way some posters obsess about rep and likes we'd get 5 threads a day trying to figure out who was downvoting someone's posts. Keep it off the site.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
It was nice to see which of my posts people generally found interesting or amusing. So number of likes and which posts were liked would be sufficient for me.

And while we're adding/fixing features, I would LOVE to have notifications if someone quoted my post in a response.

That would be pretty cool! Helps on fast-moving threads if you're trying to have a conversation back-and-forth. (FYI, I quoted you.)

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I thought it was a good tool to show someone that they'd made a good post. That's really all I used it for. I never looked at the stats.

Maybe since the company that made that went out of business you could develop a new replacement version, sell it, and make a little extra coin.
This for me. I enjoyed being able to acknowledge someone having a good/funny post without a formal reply.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I "liked" seeing who liked posts........I would probably stay away from dislikes/downvotes. Though they are sometimes needed (post-game meltdowns!) overall I think they just cause problems.

I don't know that it's important to have a spot for the total likes given/received.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
I like the way it was before. I liked being able to see who liked my post, and I liked that other people could see that I liked a post.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Number of likes on a particular post is good. Knowing who likes what is also good. & getting a fancy little notification for each like is pretty neat.

I don't care about like 'statistics'.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I liked seeing who clicked the Like button, as well as the tally of total likes for a post. Every once in awhile you'd see a post with upwards of 35+ likes and that's when you knew someone hit the jackpot.

Count me among those who would like to see the downvote button as well.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA

This exactly. I don't care who likes my post, I just like to know I'm liked (whoa).

I don't know if I've seen anything on forums with the quoting thing before but that would be tremendous. Does this site tell you when a thread you posted in has new posts? I'm only asking because I use the landing page that shows newest posts, and not the one that is broken up by topic.

HN shows which threads you posted in have been responded to, but I like this sites landing page that lumps all the newest posts together. Maybe I can't have both?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron