Life question for you married guys. (Kinda long so please bear with me)

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
I just recently got engaged and while I was watching "Till Death" last night a question came into mind. For those who didn't watch the show: the guys were in a "band" together that was actually just an excuse for them to get away from their wives for a few hours per day. They had no idea how to play instruments at all. So instead the just sat around in a garage and watched tv, along with other good stuff like that (pretty hilarious show BTW)

I was just curious if that is how it actually gets after you are married. You and your buddies want to join fake "band" (or whatever kind of group you prefer) so you can get away from your wives. If so, is there a Cyclone Fanatic "band" that is open enrollment for after my wedding? :rolleyes5cz:

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
We've got a poker night too. I think the biggest thing is that you both understand that you're going to need time apart too. As long as you both understand that right away, you wont need to form a fake band. If she wants you to be around all of your free time, I suggest you buy a guitar.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
wow, ha ha. yeah sorta. I love my family but you definitely need guy time or time alone now and then. So does she, dont let her fool you if she says otherwise. After the "honeymoon" phase is over, reality slams you in the face. I know if my wife and I spend too much time together we start to argue over stupid stuff which we usually laugh off later. Just remember, to make it work, always show you love each other, but also have some YOU time every once in awhile

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Yes, and it's OK. Being apart from your spouse once in aw while is a necessity in my opinion. I'm divorced...live and learn.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It's called going for a bike ride or going fishing or heading out to the garage to work in the wood shop. I love my wife and kids, but, and there is always a but, you need to have some 'me' time also. She also will have her own need for some away from you time.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Congrats on the engagement Mike!

I have a little committment problem...marriage scares the bejesus out of me. :baffled5wh: And I don't know why.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Can I offer up advice as a wife? Just be honest!! I work, live, and drive everywhere with my husband - and sometimes I need alone time, as does he. I think everyone's like that. She'll be a lot less upset than if she finds out that you've been wasting money on instruments for a band that she's never going to see play. :rofl8yi:

Last edited:

Cyberclone

Aug 6, 2006
Actually, I was in Bands for several years, so that excuse did work for me. Advice, after 30 years of successful happy marriage, start out from day one, with the understanding that marriage doesn't mean you spend every waking and sleeping hour together. Of course this means, she may want to do things without you involved as well, it's a great trade off.

Of course if you say your in a band, you better be able to play, because she is going to want to come watch you perform. HA

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
We call it "poker night".

We have that once a month and golf night once a week (April - Oct) ran or shine. :) Oh and of course ISU athletic events .... set the ground work NOW.

You will need these things... but remember so will your spouse... but you should win out in frequency.

Oh and the sex does take a hit, no matter how much they promise you ... it does get better ... but not quite as frequent... then the kid(s) come and that accelerates everything mentioned in the paragraph. don't worry, the days you spend with this person for the rest of your life will be the best.

-keep.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Last night? Wasn't that last week's episode? Last night whats-his-face thought he was going to die, found out he wasn't yet milked it like a champ.

Anyways, communication is key man. Communicate well and you're golden.

thunderdave

POOTMFS
Apr 14, 2006
Last night? Wasn't that last week's episode? Last night whats-his-face thought he was going to die, found out he wasn't yet milked it like a champ.

Anyways, communication is key man. Communicate well and you're golden.
The 7:30 show was a repeat.

jparker22

May 1, 2006
Ames
wow, talk about the "Cyclone Family" well done guys, I loved seeing a thread with men (and Angie) talking openly about relationships. Speaks volumes about the CF members... Congrats Mike and good luck, I am heading down that path soon.

soccercy

Apr 20, 2006
My buddies and I play in a basketball league, Wednesday night is our night out, tailgating is a chance to get away as well.
I've been married for just about six months now and it definitely is important to get that away time.

amyk33

Mar 29, 2006
Congrats on the engagement Mike!

I have a little committment problem...marriage scares the bejesus out of me. :baffled5wh: And I don't know why.
ME TOO!!! Still single and proud. I'm impressed all of you guys have stepped forward to give advice though. So sweet!

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Let's put it this way. When your future husband tells you he is going to go mow the yard. Then you look out the window and your yard does not need mowed. Then you see your husband out there mowing. Let's just say that happens alot. We have our code words. I would give you some but I think I have already divulged to much. Sorry guys.

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com
Another thing about "guy time" is to make sure it's balanced with her "girl time." If your future wife senses you're spending more time away than she is, there's a chance she might get jealous. Just be fair and open...