Life Insurance

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
You’re telling me the financial planners at Northwestern aren’t the same thing?
AVOID Northwestern. I did say use a FP who isn't tied to one company. There are many options who's number one goal is to not maximize life ins sales.

• Agree
Reactions: Pat

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
We called selectquote in the mid 2000's to find a term life provider. Have no idea if they are still a thing. Hell, calling people isn't a thing anymore.

H

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
If anyone needs a financial planner in Ames, just send me a PM. I am happy to make recommendations.
PM sent.

If anyone else has a recommendation, I'd be happy to hear. It was something on my list to research on 2021.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Get term to provide for basic needs if something happens to you so your spouse and kids are provided for their needs. It is cheap. You can get term on "second to die" - it pays only when the second spouse passes and is cheaper. Good estate planning.

Whole life is a savings plan you lose your ass for the first 5-8 years that will have a death benefit. You will pay on it for the rest of your life unless you don't need it any more. You can "RPU" it and stop paying premiums and it will grow tax deferred at around 3-4%. Or you can cancel and take the cash value as a return if principal. I had both when I was a guarantor on significant debt (8 figures) for my business.

I let my term expire and go away and rpu'ed my whole life policy. No more payments and my cash value now exceeds what I paid in.....not a great investment, minimal downside and can grow tax deferred.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

83cy

May 14, 2006
Financially secure, kids grown, wife is attractive and would find a rich husband after me so why the f would I have life insurance?

• Winner
Reactions: Tailg8er and wxman1

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Anyone saying do this or do that doesnt have enough info from the original poster to really say what the best approach is.

I honestly had no idea there were this many options. I assumed you paid a premium and my wife would cash a check if I croaked which is term life from what I’ve gathered in this thread. I bought into my old companies life policy after college and that was enough.

I’m just looking out for my wife if something happened to me. She doesn’t work and we’re about to have a third kid. I’m definitely more interested in having that money available to her if something happened to me in the short term.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Financially secure, kids grown, wife is attractive and would find a rich husband after me so why the f would I have life insurance?

You are just fine without life insurance. A perfect example of someone that probably needed term earlier in life, and now you are set. You are a prime example against the need for whole life life insurance.

Reactions: 83cy

charlie_B

Mar 21, 2017
We need a serious tag for posts. Post sarcasm in a serious-tagged thread and get a day ban or something.

Reactions: Dormeezy

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I honestly had no idea there were this many options. I assumed you paid a premium and my wife would cash a check if I croaked which is term life from what I’ve gathered in this thread. I bought into my old companies life policy after college and that was enough.

I’m just looking out for my wife if something happened to me. She doesn’t work and we’re about to have a third kid. I’m definitely more interested in having that money available to her if something happened to me in the short term.

Obviously it’s up to you to crunch the numbers and determine how much you need, but from your OP $200-300K seems low for a non-working spouse and 3 kids. JMO.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

So she can have a boy toy when your gone, Sugar Mommaing isn't cheap. :p

Reactions: 83cy

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Good advice. I’ve used the income replacement rule. Get enough to replace you income until retirement. Especially if you have young children, mortgages, other debts, etc.

That’s like a 3-4 million dollar policy not including cost of living increases. Do people use this as a rule for selecting life insurance? Seems excessive.

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er and NWICY

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

My wife doesn’t work outside the home and we have a young family. I have a term policy that is about my annual income x 10. I figure if something happens to me, my wife can invest that lump sum at roughly 8% and maintain our current lifestyle with just barely dipping into the principal.

Regardless of your thoughts on Dave Ramsey as a whole, his stance on life insurance is spot on for your situation. Google his name and life insurance and follow the advice he gives.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
That’s like a 3-4 million dollar policy not including cost of living increases. Do people use this as a rule for selecting life insurance? Seems excessive.
Around 10 times your annual income is the rule I've always heard.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

I agree with you, seems like over kill to me, but check with someone that knows way more than me about it.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
My wife doesn’t work outside the home and we have a young family. I have a term policy that is about my annual income x 10. I figure if something happens to me, my wife can invest that lump sum at roughly 8% and maintain our current lifestyle with just barely dipping into the principal.

Regardless of your thoughts on Dave Ramsey as a whole, his stance on life insurance is spot on for your situation. Google his name and life insurance and follow the advice he gives.

Seems reasonable. Does anyone know what to expect for a premium on something like a million dollar policy? I assume it varies wildly from policy holder to policy holder but maybe I’m wrong.

The only thing I’ve really seen with numbers on it are the flyers our credit union is constantly sending out.

Last edited: