Life Insurance

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
If you're a licensed CPA and an AICPA member, go thru AICPA. Their Q&A process to help figure out coverage was great. It's also a pretty good deal from what I can tell. I got a $1M term life coverage for $50 per month and I just got refunded like 43% of last year's premiums since the funds didn't get used.

In comparison, my Farm Bureau life insurance for $500K for a 20-year term is around $85 per month, but I do get refunded all of the premiums at the end of the term so not quite apples to apples. I did that because I thought it'd be nice to have about $20,000 given back at year 20 around the time my first kid starts college.

My wife won't let me do any of the life insurance where you can borrow money because her uncle did that and then died leaving her aunt and kids in not great shape.

I was just going to mention "return of premium" life policies as an option. They are an option to consider if you can't stomach the thought of paying premiums for 20 or 30 years without getting anything back. But as you noted, the premium for a policy with that feature will be more than just a standard term policy - regardless of the carrier.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Whatever you do don't get term. Whole life gains cash value over time that you can borrow against, without penalty or need to repay, simply gets reduced from final pay out. Plus if you live long enough to satisfy the loan, you get paid.

Term does none of this.

Horrible advice. Buy term life insurance. Get a quote for whole life, then get a quote for term life. Then buy the term life, and invest the difference each month. Your investments will FAR outpace whole life and you'll leave far more for those you leave behind (or be comfortable in retirement). ((personally my policy is through Genworth, which is GE's Insurance Brand. They've been great.))

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I was just going to mention "return of premium" life policies as an option. They are an option to consider if you can't stomach the thought of paying premiums for 20 or 30 years without getting anything back. But as you noted, the premium for a policy with that feature will be more than just a standard term policy - regardless of the carrier.

I was in on the initial return of premium policies. I compared the term policies or normal non return and then return. I was getting a 7% return on my money. They were pushing people hard to it. I am 14 years into that with 1 year remaining. I checked on the very thing for my wife's for when her's came up last year. At that point the return on return of premiums policies was 1 percent. They were no longer the hot thing and they didn't need to push them so the rates got worse. If you are going to do the return of premium, have them price you without that rider and see what you would be making.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Horrible advice. Buy term life insurance. Get a quote for whole life, then get a quote for term life. Then buy the term life, and invest the difference each month. Your investments will FAR outpace whole life and you'll leave far more for those you leave behind (or be comfortable in retirement). ((personally my policy is through Genworth, which is GE's Insurance Brand. They've been great.))
It was oversimplified tongue-in-cheek. Just don't be like my parents and buy term and then have it expire and you can't reup it because now you have type 2 diabetes.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
It was oversimplified tongue-in-cheek. Just don't be like my parents and buy term and then have it expire and you can't reup it because now you have type 2 diabetes.

Probably a good point. If you’re at risk it might not hurt to look into a guaranteed insurability rider. Or to convert a portion to permanent, if it makes sense.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Probably a good point. If you’re at risk it might not hurt to look into a guaranteed insurability rider. Or to convert a portion to permanent, if it makes sense.
I worked for a life insurance company very briefly in Florida. We pushed whole life because we sold to many Cubans who understand very well what it's like to lose a loved one early. We wanted to protect their families from their death, as long as you don't miss payments they can't drop you for health risks later in life on whole life.

• Love
Reactions: Cyched

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I'm just repeating what has been previously discussed. Everybody's situation is different. I needed a combination of whole life and term because of significant contingent liabilities. If you have no contingent liabilities, then in general, you buy term for when you need life insurance and invest the difference between the term and the whole life. If there are health issues in your family, or you've been given a bad gene pool and you are in your 20s and 30s, it might make sense to get some whole life before you become uninsurable.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyched

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

Plan is to have enough in retirement by the time I get the diabeetus, so that won't matter. My death doesn't need to be a lotto ticket for my wife & kids, but they'll be adequately taken care of.

Mowerra

Mar 19, 2024
It's great that you're thinking about securing additional life insurance coverage, especially since your current employer's policy might not be sufficient. Policy Genius is definitely a popular option for comparing quotes from different insurance providers.
Personally, I've found that shopping around and comparing quotes from multiple sources can help you find the best coverage at the most competitive rates. It's also worth considering how to backdoor Roth IRA as part of your long-term financial planning strategy.
Ultimately, finding the right life insurance policy is about finding one that fits your needs and budget.

Last edited:

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
It's great that you're thinking about securing additional life insurance coverage, especially since your current employer's policy might not be sufficient. Policy Genius is definitely a popular option for comparing quotes from different insurance providers.
Thanks, Russia.

Reactions: Tailg8er

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Please send me a private message with your contact information as Im in the market for a $2 million whole life policy.

Reactions: ianoconnor