Lexi Donarski entering transfer portal

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
And you are telling a lie to make your point. Bill has not done the timeout yelling or finger pointing for years
He has no doubt gotten better, but he still uses a very tough love style and it can wear you down mentally if you're not wired that way. Some players are able to brush it off, take it on the chin, or just don't care.

I've played for a coach like that and I hated it. Was one of the nicest people off the court and would do anything for his players, but at practice and during games was a complete *******. No knowledge on Lexi's decision but I would not be surprised whatsoever if maybe she just wanted a change for her final year.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Favorites? Or do you mean stars? Just because Carlton, Joens, etc. were All-Americans doesn't mean they never got yelled at or driven to excel. There were several times Ashley was taken out because she was trying to force it too much. Pretty much all the players were asked to sit out the rest of the first half if they had two fouls as well.

Well fouls have nothing do with it. Stars, favorites, call it whatever. He's given his all as far as representing ISU in a such a positive way for so years but it's time...........

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
I too can confirm that this was a shock to her teammates and coaches.
Always assumed it was a shock to coaches, and of course fans, but makes me feel a little better that it was also a shock to her teammates...meaning the team was still enjoying playing together. They seemed to have such a great time playing hard to win the big12 tourney and celebrating it. Who da thunk the mass exodus was just to begin?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Yep. That's one of the best things about college sports and why it does better than lower-level professional sports. There's a connection made between players and fans, in addition to the connection between fans and university.

Between NIL and the transfer rules, college sports has some dangers ahead for that factor.
That always interests me because pro athletes often stay for 4 years, so timing wise professional athletes are almost easier to get attached to now. Lower level athletes, as you mentioned, move around a lot.

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
Jessica Schroll? Does anybody remember the game where she made a mistake on the court and during the timeout, Bill stormed out at her and started yelling at her to the point where she cried?
She didn't even have a bad statline for that game:

7 pts, 3 reb, 3 ast, 1 stl, 3-6 on FG, 1-1 from 3 and only 2 TO

Reactions: Thompsonclone

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Years ago or not doesn’t really justify that behavior. It seemed like had chilled out a little bit from that but based off what people are saying and what I’ve heard, I think it’s clear he needs to keep modifying his behavior.

To me, it's two things. First, it's player mobility. You don't have to stick around anymore. Second, it's a focus on athlete mental health. I think players have put more value on their emotional health to the point they aren't going to be belittled and degraded anymore, and rightfully so. "Sports" isn't a reason to allow yourself to be treated in a way that you wouldn't be treated in any other sector of society.

Maybe less of the "Iowa State Way" nonsense on Twitter and more of putting that into action in the way you treat your players.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Years ago or not doesn’t really justify that behavior. It seemed like had chilled out a little bit after that but based off what people are saying and what I’ve heard, I think it’s clear he needs to keep modifying his behavior.
I would doubt that'll happen.. That's just how he is. He's no different than Huggins or Izzo. Just a tough SOB who demands a ton out of his players and if you aren't meeting his expectations he will gladly let you and everyone around you know it. Very old school honestly.

• Creative
Reactions: cyputz
Status
Not open for further replies.