Les Miles Done For?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Fun facts...Kansas athletic budget is $18M a year more than ISU's. They have one more women's sport than ISU...rowing. Their basketball budget is enormous, but generates (in a normal year), $6M in profit (notwithstanding additional Adidas payments). Their football team nearly doubled ticket sales in 2019 (Les Miles) to almost $5M in total. ISU ticket sales was nearly $12M. So basically, the basketball team keeps the football team afloat...they just have to put 11 bodies on the field to keep the TV revenue rolling in.

Does the KU budget include the payoffs to basketball players, or is that an off budget account? Asking for a friend.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I haven't kept up on all the new info but doesn't it stem from an already known issue that should have been properly vetted before you hire him? If Miles is gone, AD should be gone because someone overlooked this when they hired him.
100% agreed. AD Jeff Long should be fired along with Miles. Either Long failed to do the due diligence or he ignored what he found. Neither are acceptable. Fire them both.

Reactions: BigCyFan and Peter

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
100% agreed. AD Jeff Long should be fired along with Miles. Either Long failed to do the due diligence or he ignored what he found. Neither are acceptable. Fire them both.
MIles' lawyer says that KU indeed did have all of this info from his LSU days. He claims MIles was suspended only because of the media coverage now - that KU caved.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I graduated in 94. ISU was bad, real bad. Getting blown out by Nebby and others regularly. But still would scrape 3 or 4 wins, and an upset here or there. And people would show up, at least for a while.

KU right now is another circle of hell lower. They can see Brutus, Cassius and Judas from where they are.
I graduated in 94 also. Think it was 95 when we pulled an 0fer, maybe 94. Can’t remember, try not to. I do agree that Kansas is worse now than we ever were.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Kansas football stuck in neutral for yet another regime change. Bummer.
I felt that KU made some strides in 2019 with a handful of competitive losses, but regressed last year. I think they were very inexperienced in 2020, but this won't help

The best thing about Covid 19 for KU football was that it barely affected their attendance figures. :cool:

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Is this what we were like in the early 90s? They’ve been so bad for so long I’m not sure if they can recover, at least not quickly.

Certainly comparable. Starting w/ 1990-1999 (10 seasons), ISU had Twelve Big12 wins in that span, and did so with fewer conference games than KU plays now. ISU had 3 seasons with 2 conference wins in that span & only 1 winless Big 12 season.

KU has not seen 2 Big12 wins in a season since..... 2008. KU also had 5 winless Big12 seasons in that span.
KU has 7 Big 12 wins going back to 2009.

Both are dreadful runs, but in this era of facility expansions and TV deals, its remarkable that KU has continued to be so bad each year. Its hard to fathom really. You'd think they could just stumble into a 3-6 record in Big12 play at some point.

A couple differences, and I'm saying this with ISU colored glasses on,..
ISU notched an historic win vs Nebraska during that time, and had Troy Davis in the Heisman convo twice. ISU had a little more cachet despite being so bad. While it was ISU's Chernobyl period, there were a couple bright spots.

KU's best win since 2009 might have been against Texas who finished 5-7.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
A few high school 8 man football coaches here in Iowa might give it a shot, outside that.....I'm not really sure who would. So many things against a football coach there.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
You know looking at that list of past hires, I hope they keep Miles. I don't expect the guy to ever amount to anything there. But you let KU keep hiring and eventually they will luck into someone decent. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

Reactions: ghettocowboy4cy

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
That list is a bit aspirational for Kansas.

I have long admired Willie Fritz...but would he take the KU job at 60 years old? It would have to be a huge payday for him I would guess! He would certainly make more than he does at Tulane but would it be worth it? I am sure he would like to win during the last 5 years of his career...